Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Targeting an Enemy?

Screaming_Ziva
12.15.2011 , 09:58 AM | #1
Is pointing and clicking the only way to target an enemy? I'm finding it a bit difficult to actually target enemies when I'm in groups and my group members are in melee range. I keep accidentally clicking on them and then I can't help in the fight.

Erevan_Kindelar
12.15.2011 , 09:59 AM | #2
You can use the Tab key as well, and in conjunction with that there are some options to allow you to skip targetting PCs or NPCs iirc.
You can also cycle targets inward or outward, but I cannot remember the keybindings for those.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

Slalomswtor
12.15.2011 , 10:05 AM | #3
So there ARE keybindings to control various target objects?
  • Nearest Foe, Next Foe, previous Foe
  • Nearest Group member, etc.
  • Self
  • Nearest ground object (i.e. loot/dead body/resource node)
Can those bindings be editted?

{I am having a hard time waiting to get into game to check all this out! LOL}
Nicole Hurley: "Life is making mistakes."
Milo Boyd: "And death is wishing you had made more."

umbralwarrior
12.15.2011 , 10:06 AM | #4
By default TAB cycles through your enemies and I believe CTRL + TAB picks nearest enemy. You can redefine these keys in the preferences UI in game. There asre also key binds for selecting companions/team mates and so on but can't remember those off the top of my head.
Proud member of WatchFire

CE preOrdered & en route

MocnyBrowarek
12.15.2011 , 10:15 AM | #5
I just use bindings like this:
tab- target enemy
q- target nearest enemy
e- target self
f- target of target
x- target friend
c- target nearest friend

Why I have target enemy/friend and target NEAREST enemy/friend buttons? Easy as healer I can check every friends by using target friend. Same when fighting enemy I can quick choose enemy to attack. Target nearest is sometimes usefoul as well. Target of target is most important for me. I can quickly target my friend who is attacked by enemy I have targeted and heal or I can instantly help nuke enemy.

Easy to use and not be confused as a consular healer on warzones

liamf
12.15.2011 , 10:31 AM | #6
There is also an option to auto target the nearest enemy when you use an ability.

Its hidden somewhere in the Preferences but I can't think where exactly, sorry.

Slalomswtor
12.15.2011 , 10:34 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MocnyBrowarek View Post
f- target of target
So "target of target" is like Target Skill Forwarding?
That is good to know.
I really like that.

Am interested to see how Assisting is implemented.
Nicole Hurley: "Life is making mistakes."
Milo Boyd: "And death is wishing you had made more."

thereisnotry_
12.15.2011 , 10:43 AM | #8
Yes, as mentioned, there are a number of target-switching commands. And they're all completely customizable. I've got a gaming mouse (Logitech G500 I think), and I've bound "Target Nearest Enemy" and "Target Next Enemy" (along with Toggle AutoRun) to my extra mouse buttons. I find that works really well, and it leaves my left hand free for attacking.

For some reason, I couldn't get the targeting system to work during the last beta weekend, but it's working wonderfully now.
Try not! Do, or do not...there is no try.

thereisnotry_
12.15.2011 , 10:45 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Slalomswtor View Post
So there ARE keybindings to control various target objects?
  • Nearest Foe, Next Foe, previous Foe
  • Nearest Group member, etc.
  • Self
  • Nearest ground object (i.e. loot/dead body/resource node)
Can those bindings be editted?

{I am having a hard time waiting to get into game to check all this out! LOL}
Yes. There are keybindings for all those things (maybe not nearest ground object though, but there's area-auto-looting for that anyway).
And yes, all of those bindings can be easily edited. In fact, when it comes to group member targeting, healers will be happy to know that you can bind to each group member (ie, Group Member 1, Group Member 2, etc).
Try not! Do, or do not...there is no try.

MocnyBrowarek
12.15.2011 , 10:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Slalomswtor View Post
So "target of target" is like Target Skill Forwarding?
That is good to know.
I really like that.

Am interested to see how Assisting is implemented.
Simple- if you have targeted you friend and he will target an anamy you press "f" and have targeted same enemy. Then again this enemy have targeted your friend and hit him (you wana heal him up) press "f" again and have you'r friend targeted.