Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Weird FPS Results- High runs better than Low

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Weird FPS Results- High runs better than Low

iain_b
12.15.2011 , 09:38 AM | #1
I get better performance on my laptop setting everything to High than I do with setting on Low. It's only a difference of about 5fps but the game just feels smoother.

It seems like the Low settings don't actually lower the visual quality all that much to be honest.

Specs
Lenovo T410s
Intel i5 M540 2.53GHz
4GB of RAM (need to upgrade it to 8)
nVidia NVS 3100
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

My settings:

General
V-sync: On
Graphics Quality Preset: Custom
Resolution: 1440x900
Refresh Rage: 60
Full Screen Gamma 24%

Advanced
Bloom: Off
Conversation Depth of Field: Off
Texture Quality: High
Shader Complexity: High
Character Level of Detail: High
Texture Anistropy: High
Shadow Quality: High

Grass Quality: 0%
Tree Quality: 0%

EDIT: Turning Shadow Quality to OFF puts me over 20fps and the game is much, much smoother.
My Little Pwny
Kulok Dunar, Powertech and GM of MLP. Want to join? Click here for info.

Squadron 1020 & 367

KhameirSarinn
12.15.2011 , 09:40 AM | #2
It is a known issue. If you start with Low settings and shading turned on your FPS will drop to single digit numbers at times. Change setting from custom to high, hit apply, turn off shading, hit apply. ... brand new game right there.
Patch 1.1, I shall call you the NGE of this 2011-2012 Star Wars MMO. RIP

iain_b
12.15.2011 , 09:43 AM | #3
Thanks, for the extra bit about Shader Quality. Putting it on Low helped even more.

Thankfully I have a real gaming rig at home, but this laptop will keep me busy at work at least
My Little Pwny

Squadron 1020 & 367

MikkDC
12.15.2011 , 09:46 AM | #4
I did something similar. I changed to high, applied. Then changed to low and applied that and my fps got boosted up to 30-50 where previously it was 10-20. Then i just reset textures back to medium (high textures dont seem to look any better) and anistotropy to medium and shadows to off as I dont like the blob shadows that the low setting gives.

iain_b
12.15.2011 , 09:55 AM | #5
Putting everything back down to low puts me into the low 30s. Thanks!
My Little Pwny

Squadron 1020 & 367

Lord_Masty
03.20.2012 , 07:55 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by KhameirSarinn View Post
It is a known issue. If you start with Low settings and shading turned on your FPS will drop to single digit numbers at times. Change setting from custom to high, hit apply, turn off shading, hit apply. ... brand new game right there.
Wow!!!

I've been playing this game for 3 months on my laptop (Thinkpad T410) and have spent countless hours reading tips on this forum and on youtube to try to boost my low fps. Managed to get it from under 10 to around 15...then I stumbled upon this and in 1 minute my fps more than doubled to 40. All I did was change settings to high, then change them back to low...can't believe how stupid that is but it worked and the images even seem clearer. Thank you so much it does feel like I"m playing a brand new game!

Resurrecting this post, hoping it will help someone else out.

Nindoriel
03.24.2012 , 08:42 AM | #7
I dont get it. My system is way past minimum requirements and I get bad fps even for the lowest settings and shadows etc. turned off. Sometimes fps drops below 10. Only solution is to set shader to very low, this brings fps to 30-40, but then the game looks like ****.

Vyriz
04.06.2012 , 03:28 AM | #8
So I just spent the past 3 hours searching forum posts, updating drivers, and restarting my computer countless times, when all I needed to do was this....Unbelievable.

Rikeryo
04.06.2012 , 03:36 AM | #9
blame bioware and their amateur engine devs. it's really just the result of bad coding.
5% club member