Gunnery; Should I use Alacrity?

Aurinax

It seems to be pretty bad from what I've read. Before I explain that..

Alacrity:

-Reduces Cast time

-Does not reduce Global Cooldown

-Does not increase DOT or HOT tick rate

-There is, of course, no auto-attack (Good thing btw)

There are, of course, plenty of Commando abilities that would be affected by Alacrity, which at first glance makes it seem good.

However, Alacrity does nothing to the 1.5 second global cooldown. Many of my abilities have a 1.5 second cast-time. This means that even if I can cast Grav Round in 1 second because i stacked 238947238 Alacrity, I still have to wait .5 seconds to do anything else.

Alacrity should absolutely reduce GCD, but that's a can of worms for another thread.

So if you assume that Alacrity does nothing for 1.5 second casts (let's face it, it doesn't), is it worth taking over Crit/Surge to improve those few other spells that take longer to cast? Meaning Med Probe, Full Auto, Mortar Volley...

Edited by Aurinax

There is no GCD on abilities with a cast time. Alacrity does not reduce the GCD, but you do not invoke a GCD by starting a cast time ability,

Pretty sure this is false, since i just cast a heal on myself and when I pressed the button, about 20 abilities went on a GCD at the same time.

62 valor lvl gunnery i am and i use alacricity adrenals and relics from time to time. More over i took First responder talent and 4% alacricity in AS tree. I don't know how to explain it concidering 1.5gcd but my gunner shoots as fast as it's intended according to the ability CD timer. When i duel with a BH tracer i see how much faster my shoots are. But i do not have a single item in my set with alacricity though. It also works great with snipers. Quite often i kill him before my shield goes down, it's just awesome. Edited by dejavy

Pretty sure this is false, since i just cast a heal on myself and when I pressed the button, about 20 abilities went on a GCD at the same time.

That is simply a UI effect, it is not the GCD. The GCD only comes into play for instant abilities.

It's very easily tested with a 1.5s ability + some alacrity.

Nope. Two of the key gunnery talents have internal cooldowns which are multiples of the 1.5s global cooldown. Reducing cast time of grav round below 1.5s will cost you curtain of fire and cell charger procs which is BAD.

Don't just avoid stacking alacrity, avoid getting ANY alacrity from ANY source.

If you really want you could have an alacrity relic to pop for enrages etc. but personally I'd go for a power relic.

Alacrity reduce the cast time and the channel time together with the GCD on all spells with a cast time/channel time.

It does not affect instant spells.

So, once you get the spell haste to 33%, your 1,5 sec spells will become 1,0 sec spells, and it works for sure (count of 13 Charged Bolts during supercharged phase).

But it will really strech your ammo, becauce if you fire more ammo spells without better ammo regen, you will run low. Or have to play around with rotaions alot more.

Nope. Two of the key gunnery talents have internal cooldowns which are multiples of the 1.5s global cooldown. Reducing cast time of grav round below 1.5s will cost you curtain of fire and cell charger procs which is BAD.

Don't just avoid stacking alacrity, avoid getting ANY alacrity from ANY source.

If you really want you could have an alacrity relic to pop for enrages etc. but personally I'd go for a power relic.

This one you have to explain to me. What does it change at all?

You even reduce the cast time of the grav round and charged bolt this far to even add a few more spells into the rotion. How can this cost you the proc?

This one you have to explain to me. What does it change at all?

You even reduce the cast time of the grav round and charged bolt this far to even add a few more spells into the rotion. How can this cost you the proc?

Because your gunnery procs are stuck on cooldowns which are a multiple of 1.5.

Say you chain-cast grav rounds at 1.5s, the first one critting and proccing curtain of fire, by the time the third cast finishes you can have another ammo proc from a crit and a another CoF at the 5th grav round.

i.e. your procs are at 1.5s, 4.5s, 7.5s

If you're chain-casting 1.3s grav rounds and the first crits and triggers CoF you can't have another proc until your fourth grav round at the earliest and curtain of fire at the 6th grav round.

i.e. procs at 1.3s, 5.2s, 7.8s

Full auto makes up a large part of your rotation and dps with curtain of fire while cell charger is crucial for sustaining ammo for dps.

Alacrity will lower your dps sustainability if you have any of it and for small-medium amounts will lower your medium-term dps. It will only reliably increase burst damage, which is why it isn't as poor a choice for gunnery pvp.

Say you chain-cast grav rounds at 1.5s, the first one critting and proccing curtain of fire, by the time the third cast finishes you can have another ammo proc from a crit and a another CoF at the 5th grav round.

If you're chain-casting 1.3s grav rounds and the first crits and triggers CoF you can't have another proc until your fourth grav round at the earliest and curtain of fire at the 6th grav round.

Full auto makes up a large part of your rotation and dps with curtain of fire while cell charger is crucial for sustaining ammo for dps.

Alacrity will lower your dps sustainability if you have any of it and for small-medium amounts will lower your medium-term dps. It will only reliably increase burst damage, which is why it isn't as poor a choice for gunnery pvp.

First let me say I play a medic so I don't totally understand the grav round/curtain of fire effect. Looking at your numbers though, it appears to me that you get 1 extra grav round at the expense of 0.3s. That assumes there is a 100% chance curtain of fire will proc (I dont know if it is 100% or not). Wouldn't the extra round be worth a fraction of a second lost on a proc?

Sorry but you are wrong. 1st off every GW has a 30% chance to give Curtain of Fire it dont have to be crit. Full Auto needs to crit to give you 1 ammo.

Now with Full Auto you have 3 ticks you have get a crit and get 1 ammo and the internal cool down is 3s. Now since you want Curtain of Fire to use Full Auto you will wait more then 3s for the next proc. With 5% alcarecy from First Responder the chanel time is 2.8s so you gain 0.2s for next GR. Now getting another 5% (around 200 alcarecy rating) would make Full Auto chanel 2.6s so next GW is 0.4s faster.

Now for Grav Round and Curtain of Fire the internal CD is 6s yes but you only have 30% of chance to get CoF. So a faster chanel time will give you faster CoF when its off CD. What is even more important that GR is the spam skill and as such alcarecy increases the DPS od GR. And allso GR trigers CoF when it hits the target not when you start casting GR.

now lets say we have 5% alcarecy from First Responder

at 0.0s GR 1.4s procs CoF and strats 6s cd

at 1.4s FA 2.8s procs Cell Charder 3s cd

at 4.2s GR 1.4s

at 5.6s GR 1.4s

at 7.0s GR 1.4s

at 7.4s CoF is off cooldown but the GR we started to cast at 7.0s will hit the target at 8.4s where CoF is already off cd, IF we get a proc we can start FA again

at 8.4s FA

As you see you didnt lose DPS you gaind it. Now the only question remains where the sweet spot for alcarecy is. As long as we dont get combat log its hard to tell whats better. For the moment go crit->surge->power

"Charged Bolts and Grav Round have a [10 / 20 / 30]% chance to finish the cooldown on Full Auto and increase the damage dealt by the next Full Auto by 25%. This effect cannot occur more than once every 6 seconds."

"While Armor-piercing Cell is active, critical hits with rounds and Full Auto have a [50 / 100]% chance to generate 1 energy cell. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds."

Edited by FoxyWar

Sorry but you are wrong. 1st off every GW has a 30% chance to give Curtain of Fire it dont have to be crit. Full Auto needs to crit to give you 1 ammo.

I never said otherwise, I merely gave a very simplified example. You fail to mention that GR also procs cell charger btw.

The fact remains that having cast time for GR <1.5s means the earliest possible time you can have your next procs of cell charger or curtain of fire is delayed, unless you pause between casts of course which negates the entire purpose of alacrity.

Alacrity does increase burst dps, but lowers dps over longer fights as it costs you ammo.

No please... just... NO

DPS -> Crit + Surge

Healer -> ( Crit + Surge ) or Power

I've been this close to open a bug report because there is Alacrity in Commando gear

i want even more Alacrity. So dont try to change something, just becauce YOU dont like it.

For me it is even more important to do fast patch heals right now. The burst on some mobs is this strange, that i have to react fast for patch heals. And for this i need faster cast times. And there is a big difference if the heal need 2.5 sec or if i can get it out in 1.6 sec.

You will have to play around with the mods and enhancments in eighter way, if you want to get the best out of it.

i want even more Alacrity. So dont try to change something, just becauce YOU dont like it.

For me it is even more important to do fast patch heals right now. The burst on some mobs is this strange, that i have to react fast for patch heals. And for this i need faster cast times. And there is a big difference if the heal need 2.5 sec or if i can get it out in 1.6 sec.

You will have to play around with the mods and enhancments in eighter way, if you want to get the best out of it.

You know this thread is about gunnery Commando's, not medics right?

Gunnery DPS is limited by ammo regen, and alacrity does NOTHING for ammo regen. The number one priority of any gunnery build or rotation is ammo regen, period. If you leave out a single talent related to ammo regen you have gimped yourself as a gunnery DPS. Other than talents, what is the one stat that can increase ammo regen? Crit. Alacrity will make your ammo disappear faster without making it regen faster. Crit will produce more dps per ammo spent AND refund ammo.

Another problem is that alacrity disrupts the sync between casts and the 3 sec downtime on Cell Charger. For example, if you cast 3 grav rounds with no alacrity you have a chance to refund 1 ammo on the first and third grav round. One iota of alacrity and you lose the chance to refund ammo on the 3rd grav round. If you crit on a grav round and then cast full auto you have a chance of refunding 1 ammo on the grav round and a crit on the final tick of full auto. Not so if you have alacrity.

Of course, all of this applies to PvE builds. In PvP, alacrity may be viable where burst is more important than sustained dps.