Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Groups LFM only ask for ranged

Scrubtastic
02.04.2012 , 04:16 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
You people act like this is the first mmo with aoe's and anti-melee dps mobs. Plenty of other mmo's have similar setups and melee have never had a problem doing much more dps. It's like the idiots from back in the day in FFXI before parsers were around. They would pick rangers over monks because rangers had higher spike damage. Yet parsers came out and showed that monks raw dps (even when fighting bosses that required to disengage occasionally due to aoe spams) simply out shined all the spike fever groups.
Yes some games like FFXI and WoW gave melee higher dps because of the fact that they are melee and will be taking more dmg. This game is not the case. Melee dps < Range dps in this game while taking more dmg.

BW already failed unless they give melee a huge dps buff which won't happen cause we all know they can't design boss fights without some kind of aoe, enrage, and buggy *** mechanics that favor range over melee.

ScarletBlaze
02.04.2012 , 04:16 PM | #22
And yet people complain they cant get groups. Maybe if they would try to take people no matter the class they wouldn't have such a problem getting a group together.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: A Time for Renewal[ https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/sK3jz376Zu8

Raansu
02.04.2012 , 05:04 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Scrubtastic View Post
Yes some games like FFXI and WoW gave melee higher dps because of the fact that they are melee and will be taking more dmg. This game is not the case. Melee dps < Range dps in this game while taking more dmg.

BW already failed unless they give melee a huge dps buff which won't happen cause we all know they can't design boss fights without some kind of aoe, enrage, and buggy *** mechanics that favor range over melee.
Apparently you missed the part of my post where I told the story of rangers and parsers and how a biased mindset can be...well...wrong...You can't claim that range dps>melee dps without any solid numbers, which is exactly why I brought up the whole parser example from FFXI to begin with.

Before parsers everyone laughed at monks because our damage from weapon skills were not that impressive. While yes the rangers were doing amazing spike damage with their weapon skills, their overall sustained dps was not all that great, and their speed of attacks were not that fast. So while yes, monks spike damage sucked, but when you count the fact that they hit much faster, build tech points much quicker, and can use weapon skills at a more steady pace showed they were the king of dps.

Now I'm not saying melee dps is the king of dps or anything, and I understand the combat systems are two very very different systems, but my point is, you can't really make wild claims like that without proper numbers. And the only real numbers we get is the crude damage chart from pvp...which doesnt really mean anything as I can top the charts every round with my sentinel just by jumping in the middle of a mob and hitting force sweep, popping my cd's and getting probably 1 or 2 more force sweeps before I die. So ya, I think people jumping on the whole ranged dps only bandwagon are just bad players in bad groups.

Enosh_
02.04.2012 , 05:30 PM | #24
well we don't have numbers but we have the following to go on:
BW said that all dps spec should be within 5% of each other, fact is, atm there is way way more **** for melee dps to have to deal with when it comes to aoe dmg, boss abilities etc
with players of an equal skill and gear level the ranged dps will always do better since a) they don't have to care about aoe as much giving them more time to take care of their rotation and b) they can continue to dps in situations where the melee can't

yes, you can do all the HM content with melee dps, but it would be easier with ranged dps for the above mentioned points, you simply have more room for errors

urgod
02.04.2012 , 06:01 PM | #25
I agree with Raan, until we have actual parses, saying Range dps > Melee dps is pretty damn stupid.

dcgregorya
02.04.2012 , 06:54 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by urgod View Post
I agree with Raan, until we have actual parses, saying Range dps > Melee dps is pretty damn stupid.
The way I check it is by looking at who picks up threat when the tank loses it. As a slinger I'm happy that I am pretty much the offtank when the tank has to use a taunt on an add or gets immobilized in Karaggas or whatever. My defensive CDs and cover are pretty good to be honest when combined with standing next to a healer for the AOE heals.

CriticalMasses
02.04.2012 , 07:18 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lasica View Post
Well this HM flashpoint I'm in at the moment I'm spending probably 10x more healing the ranged dps than I am the melee dps.
That's just sad, it is LITERALLY the easiest role to play. You only have 2 jobs. Know when to DPS, and know when to back off for a few seconds.
Dear Bioware, my Birthday is in March > I'd like to see Purple, Gold, and Teal crystals obtainable by all players and the four major play styles by then. The four major play styles are CRAFTING, SOLO, RAID, and PVP.

Aluvi
02.04.2012 , 07:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Lasica View Post
Well this HM flashpoint I'm in at the moment I'm spending probably 10x more healing the ranged dps than I am the melee dps.
You can heal a HM flashpoint while browsing/replying to forums?

CygnisJunior
02.05.2012 , 03:41 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
And yet people complain they cant get groups. Maybe if they would try to take people no matter the class they wouldn't have such a problem getting a group together.
And you assume the people complaining about getting groups together are the same people who are filtering out melee dps because...? They happen to post on the same forum?

Also, melee dpsers can dodge stuff while they attack because most of their attacks are instant. Not so with ranged!

bigheadbrandon
02.05.2012 , 05:44 AM | #30
when they make marauders unable to obfuscate operation bosses in 1.1.2 why would anyone bother to bring marauders to ops runs?