Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Wont Start after clicking play on launcher

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Game Wont Start after clicking play on launcher
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

KyalJ
02.04.2012 , 10:29 AM | #1
Hey as the title says, game wont start after clicking play on the launcher, ive been trying to resolve this for half a day now, ive tried everything i could find on the forums and still nothings working, i just got this game today and after the CD's not willing to install the game, 10 hour download just to run the launcher alone which did nothing, its just plain and simply not working. Any help/fixes?

Lsheistaon
02.04.2012 , 10:36 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi KyalJ,

What exactly happens after you click play on the launcher? Do you get a black screen/crash to desktop?

Thanks!

Lsheistaon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

ShoeboxAssassin
02.04.2012 , 10:38 AM | #3
I'm getting the same thing.

It crashes to the desktop and then an error message appears stating "SWTOR Launcher experienced a problem and needs to shut down"

Lsheistaon
02.04.2012 , 10:47 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello,

I want you try the steps outlined here.

These steps should resolve this issue, let me know if you are still experiencing the issue.

ShoeboxAssassin
02.04.2012 , 10:50 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by E6-W1 View Post
Hello,

I want you try the steps outlined here.

These steps should resolve this issue, let me know if you are still experiencing the issue.
The issue isnt with the updating or downloading. its with the launcher. It shows the load screen, then crashes to the desktop immediately with the error message.

UPDATE: Still got the error message even after I repaired the launcher.

KyalJ
02.04.2012 , 10:55 AM | #6
i get a black screen that lasts around half a second to 2 seconds, ive tried everything i can find on the forums, please dont send me to that troubleshooting page ive already been through it over 20 tines.

Lsheistaon
02.04.2012 , 10:56 AM | #7 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by ShoeboxAssassin View Post
The issue isnt with the updating or downloading. its with the launcher. It shows the load screen, then crashes to the desktop immediately with the error message
Hi ShoeboxAssassin,

I'm aware that the issue is with the launcher, I would like you to run through the launcher troubleshooting steps outlined in the link I provided.

Please also make sure:
That your Graphics card has the most recent drivers installed
That you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system.
That you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system including the optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features.

Let me know when you have gone through these steps.

Thanks.

Lsheistaon
02.04.2012 , 11:01 AM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
HI KyalJ,

Can you post your DxDiag for me please?

To get your DXDiag report, follow these instructions:
Please use code or spoilertags.
1.Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time. (The [Windows] key is the key with the Windows icon on it)
2.Type in ‘DxDiag’ and press ‘OK’.
3.This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool box.
4.At the bottom of the box is a ‘Save All information’ button. Press it.
5.This will open a ‘Save As’ box. Please ensure the text file is named ‘DxDiag’.
6.Save this to your desktop.
7.Open the saved file, hit Ctrl+A (select all), and then Ctrl+C (copy).
8.Paste that information at the bottom of your post. Please use code or spoiler tags. If you don’t use these then your DXDiag will fill up the page making it hard to navigate your thread.

Thanks.

ShoeboxAssassin
02.04.2012 , 11:02 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by E6-W1 View Post
Hi ShoeboxAssassin,

I'm aware that the issue is with the launcher, I would like you to run through the launcher troubleshooting steps outlined in the link I provided.

Please also make sure:
That your Graphics card has the most recent drivers installed
That you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system.
That you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system including the optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features.

Let me know when you have gone through these steps.

Thanks.
I did your "repair" and it failed. And I was actually playing earlier this morning so I know that the game will function on my computer perfectly if the launcher wasn't giving me the error message. Everything is as up to date as it can be without being sentient.

KyalJ
02.04.2012 , 11:05 AM | #10
Ok, but what i dont understand about that is why would i have been selected for the Beta if i cant play the game to begin with?

Spoiler