Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to increase patching download speed?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How to increase patching download speed?

Shlamorel
02.03.2012 , 07:51 PM | #1
Hello all,

I'm currently getting approximately 360KB/S download speed for my patcher.

I know it COULD be my ISP, but is there any other measures I can take to make sure it isn't something else? I heard that it could be due to things like firewalls and such and I am not sure how to get around these...

Thanks in advance!

Aethyriel
02.03.2012 , 09:19 PM | #2
Well, how much bandwidth do you have? Do you only have the standart Windows Firewall or another one? Also.. not downloading something else while DL a patch speeds it up... Firewall shoudln't cause you any trouble actually though.. if it does, either allow the game exe within firewalloptions or disable firewall during download. It'S kinda hard to tell you what it could be given the little information you provided, sorry.

Shlamorel
02.03.2012 , 10:00 PM | #3
Thanks for your response!

When I go to my internet properties in network and sharing center it says my internet speed is 54MB/s. Is it normal for such a connection speed to grant downloads at 360KB/s?

It is a new pc, I literally just turned it on and the first thing I've done is started downloading the game.

Leadlian
02.03.2012 , 10:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Shlamorel View Post
Thanks for your response!

When I go to my internet properties in network and sharing center it says my internet speed is 54MB/s. Is it normal for such a connection speed to grant downloads at 360KB/s?

It is a new pc, I literally just turned it on and the first thing I've done is started downloading the game.
54 megabits per second is the top speed for 802.11g - I'm guessing you're on a WiFi network. You're confusing megabits (Mb) with megabytes (MB) as well if that's the case. That's the maximum speed you could transfer files wirelessly across the network to your computer. 54 megabits per second is 6.75 megabytes per second. Even then, though, that's just the speed across your network and has nothing to do with the speed of your ISP.

You can find out the actual speed of your ISP here:
http://www.speedtest.net/

You're going to want to make sure nothing is downloading when you do the test.

Keep in mind that speedtest.net reports in megabits or kilobits per second, not megabytes per second. The launcher reports in megabytes or kilobytes per second. 8 megabits equals 1 megabyte.