Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same-Gender [Flirt] Prompts

Uluain
02.03.2012 , 06:08 PM | #1
First, this is not a discussion of the same-gender companion NPC romance opportunities which BioWare has said will be included as post-launch content. That topic has its own dedicated thread.

This is a suggestion that mission NPC [Flirt] prompts be offered from NPCs of the character's own gender.

For one (and I realize this will factor both in support and opposition to this suggestion), these conversational [Flirt] prompts are far more prevalent and easily accessed than the companion romance arcs unlocked through interactions with the companions over time.

I am literally unable to level a male Smuggler without encountering [Flirt] prompts at nearly every stage of his ongoing story missions. Sometimes there are multiple prompts. Sometimes it is not possible to choose either alternative prompt without being penalized by a loss of primary companion affection - a statistic which does directly affects companion efficiency and effectiveness.

I have no interest in pursuing opposite-gender [Flirt] options. This leaves me with less to enjoy of the game as I have zero opportunity to [Flirt] otherwise.

Is this a game-breaker? No, but it does make seeing those [Flirt] prompts an unhappy reminder that I am missing out, rather than a potentially fun extra spin on a mission, which I think it is intended to be.

Further, limiting same-gender choice to companion romantic arcs makes that inclusiveness virtually invisible. Conversational [Flirt] prompts would therefore represent a more genuine commitment to a diverse player community.

Some have said, and will say, that they never wish to see that in their game. I say, so long as I am seeing opposite-gender [Flirt] prompts... too bad! I put up with it. I have to. Suck it up.

Uluain
02.03.2012 , 06:13 PM | #2
Also, and I think this merits its own post, while recommendations for additional [Flirt] opportunities for female characters are not unwelcome here - I strongly support that recommendation - that also has its own thread. Please comment there if that is a subject you wish to discuss in depth.

EDIT - now with a link to the appropriate thread.

Nozybidaj
02.03.2012 , 06:34 PM | #4
Absolutely agree. Not much more to say than that, these should definitely be added to the game.

ProfessorCaprion
02.03.2012 , 06:35 PM | #5
I also agree! Heck, even if sometimes the flirtation is met with negativity, at least it's there!

plusieurs
02.03.2012 , 06:46 PM | #6
Totally signed.
eagerly awaiting patch day
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
Cancelled August/September 2013: When grad school begins.

RowanThursday
02.03.2012 , 07:07 PM | #7
Signed!

Also, it'd be nice if more of the flirts... companion *and* NPC had a bit more varied results. Why can't my PC go out on a dinner date with an NPC, have a fun evening, then cut back to staggering tipsy up the gangplank of her starship with a bunch of flowers in her hand occasionally, instead of it always being 'kiss, fade to black, fade back in to obvious post-coital chat'.

Bonus points if, after the tipsy stumbling home, the droid greeted the PC with "And what time do you call *this*... um, I mean, good to see you mistress!"
"... Pointless meatbag bickering."
-- HK-55

Suaine
02.03.2012 , 07:32 PM | #8
I brought this very thing up with a CSR yesterday who told me to post it here on the forums. I'm actually really glad I don't have to make my own post about it as I am a little trigger-happy with the anxiety these days.

Very much signed. Varied flirt options regardless of gender would be lovely, in fact, I would like to see more NPCs say a variation of "thanks, but no thanks!" too, if we're going to be inclusive. Striking out should definitely be part of the romance repertoire.

So far, I've gotten seriously unhappy while playing my male smuggler (who is gay), trying to navigate the conversations so I don't have sex by accident or come across as an enormous ******e/women-hater. It's been fairly stressful and ESC-heavy. (And that doesn't even cover how he feels about Corso and that that whole thing is going to break my heart.)

On the other hand, I play a Jedi Knight who's a real ladies' man and flirts with everything that moves and that works out beautifully. It's a real shame I can't get that same feeling of glee on my smuggler.

Baytree
02.03.2012 , 07:38 PM | #9
Yes please! I would love to see this implemented.

The [Flirt] option can be a huge part of how you play your character. Look at the Smuggler or IA stories. I find it's the lack of s/s flirt options that's keeping me from playing certain classes more than the lack of romance options with companions.

I don't expect a positive response every time I flirt. Actually, it's rather boring when you know you're going to get a positive reception and I think a range of reactions would be far more fun.

MusedMoose
02.03.2012 , 07:57 PM | #10
Definitely signed, and good to see this getting lots of support. In a galaxy where your characters can hook up with beings who are of different species, flirting with someone who has so minor a difference as the same gender should be an everyday thing.
Quote: Originally Posted by Baytree View Post
I don't expect a positive response every time I flirt. Actually, it's rather boring when you know you're going to get a positive reception and I think a range of reactions would be far more fun.
Nice! I hadn't even thought of that. My smuggler and trooper both must be incredibly smooth considering how every single time they flirt, it gets such a positive response. Getting smacked once in a while would be hilarious.