Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

COMBAT in TOR: Fastest action in a 3rd person mmo?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
COMBAT in TOR: Fastest action in a 3rd person mmo?

Plaite
02.03.2012 , 06:03 PM | #21
Champions Online is in fact quite a bit more intense and more streamlined.
|||||||||||||||||||

Shingara
02.03.2012 , 06:04 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Adriverdead View Post
Faster, more hectic, more abilities that are a MUST to use (Naga mouse makes this cherry.)

Like a lot of you, been playing 3rd person rpg mmos since early 2000's (Not counting EVE or UO which i spend many hours playing when I should have been working...or showering.)

Opinions?
Im lost, were you asking a question or making a statement ?

What are we giving an opinion on.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

rydgaze
02.03.2012 , 06:09 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Marmerus View Post
With the global cooldowns on 1.5 seconds combined with lagged out animations and hidden delay I must say the PVP in this game is probably the slowest. I have also a naga but I think its fully possible to do good in PVP just by clicking on the spells in the spell book. You have like 2 seconds between every insta cast spell so its more than enough to flip pages and clicking the spells.
This!

There is no reason to even keybind given the ability lag, graphics lag, GCD. And no. the action is not fast and furious . My runemaster in DAOC had to do lot more to keep up than my sage ever did

Deiser
02.03.2012 , 06:09 PM | #24
Phantasy Star Universe had a faster paced system than TOR, though that doesn't mean much when the overall MMO wasn't maintained well by Sega (at least in the west).

Cancrizans
02.03.2012 , 06:09 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Bradleyforrest View Post
Asheron's Call
Actually...I was about to mention Asheron's Call 2, which had some incredible, action based combat.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Cancrizans
02.03.2012 , 06:10 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by skyvortex View Post
You haven't played many MMOs or are simply not good enough to notice that the combat in this game plays like an over cooked noodle.
And the games you suggest have more action packed combat are? And god please don't say WoW...
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Cancrizans
02.03.2012 , 06:16 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Plaite View Post
Champions Online is in fact quite a bit more intense and more streamlined.
Hmm...I think I can see that both ways. I played quite a few classes in that game when I subscribed and wasn't forced to play their gimped out archetype system, I agree that the combat was highly exciting and action based but I'm not sure if I'd say it is MORE so than this game, just different.

Champs does a really good job of capturing Superhero style action...I used to love that whirlwind skill on my dual wield sword guy where you could just spin around while moving, bouncing from group to group of mobs just wreaking havoc(thinking about it kind of makes me miss the game, but it just doesn't have the content to warrant a sub, and I am not castrating my freeform chars to fit their lame archetype system).

But to me, SWTOR does an awesome job capturing the feel of lightsaber combat. Some of the posts on these forums make me think people don't pay any attention while they are fighting, because I personally haven't played a game where my character is parrying ranged attacks from behind by extending his swords behind his back, while attacking another enemy...there are so many cool dynamics to the fighting in SWTOR, idk personally it is just something I really appreciate.

KurleyKilla
02.03.2012 , 06:41 PM | #28
Do I still call it a 3rd person MMO if I zoom in all the way with my mouse?

Also no... definitely not the fastest paced MMO iv played.

If anything its either exactly the same, or a bit worse.

The responsiveness of the abilities is definitely worse.

I have my E Q R F etc etc keys, bound to abilities so I can use things very fast and efficiently but having so many skills right at my finger tips makes the ability delay even more noticeable

Playing WoW it looks like I'm playing a piano, Swtor just slows me down.

People interested in action may like this soon to be released MMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bspmKCodzhE

MMA fans will Recognize "Bas Rutten"

The game is called Tera.

kristoffbrujah
02.03.2012 , 06:43 PM | #29
Playing a Mara/Sent is the fastest combat I've ever seen in an MMO.

I'm only to level 15 and I have like 12 essential keybindings that I'm hitting furiously. All I see is blurred blue sabers in my peripheral vision.

Adriverdead
02.03.2012 , 08:06 PM | #30
Despite the gcd QQers, I was trying to state combat FEELS and LOOKS more visceral and hectic/fast paced like an over-complicated hack & slash than an RPG. I like this element and wanted opinions on it. It's more satisfying in the sound and animation department.

Sitting around ilum (ilag) in a pack waiting to gank someone in 5 fps is a part of the game I don't bother with (as it should be.) PvP itself shouldnt be bothered with at all this early in the game unless you like ticking off players with knockbacks in huttball. But I wasn't even mentioning pvp when I started the thread, so meh.

I haven't sat at my desk playing every mmo that's come out since 1999, as some of you would like to lay claim to (more power to you, but im a busy man.) So what games am I personally comparing it to?

3rd person mmo RPGs that is:

Shadowbane
Rift
Global agenda
EQ 2
Fallen Earth
WOW (And if you claim to have never played it, you're lying and sleep with a feral druid plushie.)

Also EVE, UO, Lineage 1, but they don't count as they are not "over the shoulder" games.

Can't compare it to AC 1 (didn't have good net connection setups where I lived back then and UO ran better.)

Haven't played Champions or City of Heros ( missed out, was dedicated to other games.)

blah blah