Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

notebene
02.03.2012 , 01:51 PM | #21
That's not fair, I group sometimes. I like that most theme parks now have quests set to soloable. I like how this game has daily repeating group content on planets as well as flashpoints, that's pretty fun. So I do occasionally group. Every so often I get yelled at by l33t ub3r d00dz (LUDs) for being horrible, which I am (I do my best), and that'll discourage me from playing in groups for awhile until I get my courage back up again.

Beyond that, believe it or not, I mostly play MMOs because of the mechanic and feature combination.

Yes, you can craft in some single player RPGs, like Skyrim, but you can't make your friends anything. You can walk up to a lowbie and inspect them and hand them an upgrade.

You if a friend decides they want to play Skyrim for a month (before they invariably get bored with it and leave), you can't play with them...unless I suppose you fire up some Steamspeak and talk about crap while you do completely separate things.

Combat. It's largely still based on rolls. Yes, there are some MMOs that are coming out (like Vindictus) which follow the whole "joystick-controller-go-mash-mash-quick-quick-kek-kek-i-fastz0rz-me-me-pew-pew" method of combat. But I don't like that.

It's too bad Bioware didn't hang on to Neverwinter Nights, that would have been a great MMO. Plus that really opened up community content, which also would be really cool in an MMO.

And while in this game it's gotten sparse, back in the old days...say, pre-2005, people actually talked in general. Yes, some of it was potty mouth crap, but for the most part, it was fun and civil and what not. Now days, no one talks. All the new kids where their little headsets and talk on chats. If they bother to type, they do it only in guild chats...and I've seen posts from some of you that even after joining a guild, that is a farce too, and people don't even chat much in guild chat...so sadly that's a lost art.

Changing content and updates. You could get a little of that with the original NWN, as people made their own mods, but it was a challenge sometimes to find quality ones.

So all sorts of reasons really, that don't necessarily involve 'only' doing things in groups with at least one other person.
MOTD - One Giant Server - When I'll Need To Make My 'Bucket-List' List 1. I'm not having fun any more. 2. Puritans. 3. One or more characters were renamed in a server merge. 4. Something given to 'all characters on account' are not given to 'all characters on account'. 5. Design by Committee.

Nattskugga
02.03.2012 , 01:51 PM | #22
Only 25% of WoW players raid.
70% of all guilds consist of 1 person.

I can't speak to the motivations of WHY these things are but the base data speaks for itself.

I'm in a guild because my wife's in the guild and it's hard as hell to find a pug. I WISH that more of the content was easily solo-able. I want to do the flash-points, I just don't want to need a group to do them at level. If the game allowed me to make a 4-man group for flash-points that were all my companions, GREAT.

Maybe it's that MMO's by their nature are expansive and constantly updated with content. Single player RPGs, even big *** ones like Fallout and Skyrim aren't as big as MMO's...economies of scale being what they are.

I know the content is what I'm most interested in. The social aspects are a bonus but not necessary to me, and clearly to some not wanted at all.

utio
02.03.2012 , 01:51 PM | #23
Well I have played solo for the most part so far, but that doesn't mean I haven't interacted with people. I prefer to do my missions solo. There is no waiting around, and I can play at my own pace. When I want to group I can. To me, that is what an mmo is. I find it strange when people say that a mmo is multiplayer, and people should group up to play. Just because there are other players in the same world it doesn't mean it's mandatory to group.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

ptwonline
02.03.2012 , 01:52 PM | #24
OP,

While your theory is undoubtedly true for a FEW players, I seriously doubt it is true for the majority of "solo" players. In my experience, the casual, solo kinds of players don't want to show off. It's the most hardcore raiders and PvPers who want to show off their leet gear and titles. (this is coming from someone who raided for years in WoW) Solo players just want something to do with as little hassle or external judgement from the foul-mouthed internet kiddies as they can get.

Here's my theory:

1. Even if you play solo, there are still interactions with other people. You chat. You can help each other if you happen to run into someone else where you are questing. There are markets.

Example, last night hunting a datacron on Alderaan, I had to blow open a wall to get to it. A person was standing in a safe spot nearby, and thanked me when I let her in. She didn't have the explosives to get past the wall, but working through all those mobs again would be so much trouble. This was a very gratifying experience for both of us, and not possible in a single player game.

2. There are no comparable solo games. MMOs are different than almost every solo game in that there is an expectation that you can devote immense amounts of time to develop characters very long term. Can you imagine playing the same character in KOTOR, or Dragon Age, or Mass Effect, or even a massive game like Skyrim constantly for 4-5 years? Of course not. In SWTOR there will be people who do just that, simply because timesink systems and new content keep coming out regularly.

3. The kind of game or IP you want to play doesn't exist as a solo game, but exists as an MMO. Where is the solo player KOTOR III? There isn't one. Where is the new Baldur's Gate? There isn't one. Where is the solo player version of WoW? There isn't one. Where is the single player LOTR RPG? There isn't one. Since you can't get that content or IP from a solo game but you CAN from an MMO, you play the MMO.

TheRealDestian
02.03.2012 , 01:52 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Calsetes View Post
I really don't want to hold back an entire party on account of me, so I tend to solo. I still lend a hand when someone needs me, and still offer help, but I play solo because I know Murphy's Law applies every five minutes.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTenor View Post
I've been soloing every class and when like it, I group for heroics and FPs.
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
I pretty much exclusively duo with my wife, and we absolutely love this game. When not duoing with my wife, I like to solo, and I find it great fun. Is having fun the wrong reason to play a video game, because I was under the impression it was the only reason to play a video game.
None of you are the type of soloer I'm talking about.

I'm speaking specifically to people who believe that EVERYTHING in this game should be soloable, even if that means taking 6 companions into an operation instead of finding a guild.

At a certain point, I can only conclude that these people must be doing this to flaunt their "phat lewts", since they avoid human interaction like the plague.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLazarillo View Post
I'm a little confused at your conclusion, though. If someone's playing strictly solo, and not even joining in on chats on occasion, exactly how are they supposed to show off in the first place?
The same way they do in WoW: stand around in a capital city all day wearing your gear or on a rare mount.
"Skill" is the only PvP stat anyone should ever need.

KatPhish
02.03.2012 , 01:54 PM | #26
I play solo, have zero social points on 6 toons. come see me in 4 years, ill still have zero social points, but not once will you hear me complain about not having the best loot in game, or will I ever show off what I "do" have. I play the game because I like it, to kill time, not to make friends or chat, that takes up game time, hehe. I dont bother anyone and I have as much right to play as the next guy.
227 and counting

daemian
02.03.2012 , 01:55 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealDestian View Post
At a certain point, I can only conclude that these people must be doing this to feel good about themselves, since they avoid human interaction like the plague.
I don't think I'm understanding how being solitary equals being egotistical, if that's what you're saying.

TheRealDestian
02.03.2012 , 01:56 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by KatPhish View Post
I play solo, have zero social points on 6 toons. come see me in 4 years, ill still have zero social points, but not once will you hear me complain about not having the best loot in game, or will I ever show off what I "do" have. I play the game because I like it, to kill time, not to make friends or chat, that takes up game time, hehe. I dont bother anyone and I have as much right to play as the next guy.
But...why?

Why even play an MMO (and pay $15 a month for it) if you have zero intention of making use of its greatest feature: multiplayer?

There are AMAZING single player games out there (such as Skyrim) that will probably offer you a much better solo experience. So why go with an MMO?

Tic-
02.03.2012 , 01:56 PM | #29
I played a lot of UO solo, and there was plenty to do. Hell, i'd go tame dragons solo. Sure i grouped up with friends from time to time, especially when our player town was under attack by reds

So essentially, I've been soloing in MMOs since '97, '94 if you want to go back to Neverwinter Nights..

So now, according to you, i should go play a single player game?

k.

TheRealDestian
02.03.2012 , 01:58 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Tic- View Post
I played a lot of UO solo, and there was plenty to do. Sure i grouped up with friends from time to time, especially when our player town was under attack by reds

So essentially, I've been soloing in MMOs since '97, '94 if you want to go back to Neverwinter Nights..

So now, according to you, i should go play a single player game?

k.
Read the OP more thoroughly.