Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

Urko
02.03.2012 , 01:40 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealDestian View Post
I think I've figured out the truth here...

The ONLY reason a person who wants to solo would play a massively MULTIPLAYER online RPG, a game that will certainly offer an inferior solo play experience than an actual single player game, is because they may not want to actually INTERACT with other players, but they still want to "show off" to them.

That's really what it boils down to: "Hey, complete stranger, look at how uberl337 I am! Please notice how much time I spent leveling to 50 and grinding warzones while never once saying a single word in chat so I could garner just a modicum of self-esteem to call my own as SOMEONE looks upon what I have and envies me for it!"

In case anyone is wondering, this is directed at all of the angry posts that complain bitterly about not being able to solo absolutely EVERY piece of content in this game

Apparently, these people don't realize that they have games where you CAN solo every piece of content in the game. They're called "single player games".
Show off with their eliteism type stance, but cba to help out anyone, ive met plenty in MMOs in the past, i dont want them here.
Well done Patch 1.2, lots of additions that i was looking for.

BenjaminminU
02.03.2012 , 01:41 PM | #12
The main thing about this game is that a lot of the players consider it to be the next in the Knights of the old republic series. These people are used to playing single player games and not MMOs.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

DarthTenor
02.03.2012 , 01:41 PM | #13
I beg to differ. SWTOR IMO is a single player game with MP options. PVP/Grouping/Operations.

I've been soloing every class and when like it, I group for heroics and FPs.

My only gripe about this game is that they it is basically the mechanics of Mass Effect. Dragon Age KOTOR I like the game but I don't think I want to pay $15 a month for a game that is essentially a single player experience . all they did was slap on chat and grouping/pvp/operations and called it an MMO.

you can get the nearly the same experience playing MW3 uncharted 3 Battlefield 3 and get all with a one-time fee.

daemian
02.03.2012 , 01:42 PM | #14
The ONLY reason a person who wants to solo would play a massively MULTIPLAYER online RPG, a game that will certainly offer an inferior solo play experience than an actual single player game, is because they may not want to actually INTERACT with other players, but they still want to "show off" to them.
I don't think so. It seems to me the people who go after the fancy engame PVP and Raid gear (i.e. multiplayer only) are the ones who like to strut their gear and elitism the most.

JLazarillo
02.03.2012 , 01:42 PM | #15
Personally, I play two MMOs, including this one, and I do, generally, mostly play solo. This is because they are simply fun games, regardless of their medium. In addition, these games come with the added benefit that I can join other players and have a good time on a team when I am, on occasion, in the mood for it.

That said, being the nature of the medium, I hardly mind when certain missions or enemies are designed for groups, nor does it particularly bother me if there are benefits to playing in a team. I don't think any form of advancement should be completely team-exclusive, but thusfar haven't run into anything I've felt was gated in a bothersome way in this particular game.

I'm a little confused at your conclusion, though. If someone's playing strictly solo, and not even joining in on chats on occasion, exactly how are they supposed to show off in the first place?

Drudenfusz
02.03.2012 , 01:43 PM | #16
Short answer: PvP
Long answer: to kill the characters of other players. I also like to customize my own character (that's why I don't play shooters, also like to play as stealth class). And then there is exploration and (sometimes) open world PvP.

No need for group quests all day long (sure, they are fun from time to time, but that's not why I am around)
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

JeremyDale
02.03.2012 , 01:45 PM | #17
I think I've figured out the truth here...

That's really what it boils down to: "Hey, complete stranger, look at how uberl337 I am! Please notice how much time I spent leveling to 50 and grinding warzones while never once saying a single word in chat so I could garner just a modicum of self-esteem to call my own as SOMEONE looks upon what I have and envies me for it!"

In case anyone is wondering, this is directed at all of the angry posts that complain bitterly about not being able to solo absolutely EVERY piece of content in this game

Apparently, these people don't realize that they have games where you CAN solo every piece of content in the game. They're called "single player games".
You know, this is an interesting point.

It also explains why these "casual gamers" who want to be able to solo everything want to be able to level up so quickly as well. That way they can get to the "endgame" as fast as possible and feel superior having the max level and the best gear.

So you may be on to something here. It may very well all be about "showing off". It's one of the only logical explanations I can think of.

Vecke
02.03.2012 , 01:45 PM | #18
A better question might be why do people that don't like to solo in an MMO find it necessary to judge them, insult them, and suggest they quit, when without those solo players' subs, there's a good chance the MMO wouldn't be able to sustain itself?

I pretty much exclusively duo with my wife, and we absolutely love this game. When not duoing with my wife, I like to solo, and I find it great fun. Is having fun the wrong reason to play a video game, because I was under the impression it was the only reason to play a video game.

As for showing off, people who play solo have the worst gear in the entire game. What are you suggesting they're showing off? "Hey, look at me! My gears far inferior to yours!"
"I know."

Beyorn
02.03.2012 , 01:45 PM | #19
Sadly the reason I solo is because I never know how long I will be on or if I will be interrupted. I wouldn't want to subject a group to me constantly going afk.

Single player games just don't hold me anymore after I played my first mmo (EQ). If I had to pick I would play a mmo every day of the week.

I don't group but as a sage I will stop and help people with quest and do drive-by buffing and heals.

In single player games the world just seems dead but in an mmo with other players it is alive whether I talk/group with them or not. Kinda like the real world I guess ;D.

SithZigg
02.03.2012 , 01:48 PM | #20
There are two definitions of "multiplayer". One is the the definition you are using; a group of players come together to achieve a similar goal. There is another though, and that is a large number of people playing on the same world, at the same time. And the two are not exclusive; both definitions of "multiplayer" happen simultaneously all the time in MMORPGs.
I'm a Sith Enchantress, I do evil Sith dances! And when you look into my eyes, I'll put you in trances! And you know what I'll do? I will make a Sith brew! And finish you off with force lighting too! Soooooooooooo, watch out!