Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why do people play MULTIPLAYER games if all they want to do is solo?!

TheRealDestian
02.03.2012 , 01:33 PM | #1
I'm not talking about people who like to solo ON OCCASION, or people who would rather play with people they know or a reliable guild. I mean people who want to play THE ENTIRE GAME without ever grouping with another person, the people who want SOLO OPS in which they use their companions as a raiding team.

I mean, isn't laughing with guildies fun? Isn't screwing around in general chat fun?

If not, WHY play an MMO, then? What do these people get out of this game that a superior single player game (like Skyrim, for example) wouldn't offer them and even MORE?

Is it because, as PA once said, "You can ride that **** through Ironforge!"?
"Skill" is the only PvP stat anyone should ever need.

Bammur
02.03.2012 , 01:37 PM | #2
Nope, although perhaps I don't fit your definition of solo player. I'm fully aware of the limitations of that style of play.

Hopefully you feel better now that you've vented though.

Merkinz
02.03.2012 , 01:38 PM | #3
I find enjoyment in self reliance knowing that I am the sole weak-point in all that I do. This carries over to online persistent worlds. I'm a Bounty Hunter I rely on nobody but myself.

zrinking
02.03.2012 , 01:38 PM | #4
Or ......its because MMO's are always adding content and that person would rather play with real life friends than some random 12 year old who hates the way others game.
EverQuest ....9 years, EQ2...launch and 1 year
SWG .... launch and 2 years, WOW ... launch and 4 months, Conan ... 1 week, Warhammer ... 2 weeks
Lotro.. launch and 5 years, Rift ....launch and 3 months

Calsetes
02.03.2012 , 01:38 PM | #5
I usually play solo in MMOs because I frequently run into problems that prevent me from being able to group flawlessly - such as someone screaming bloody murder from downstairs for no reason, or a computer that has a wonky GPU and overheats when it shouldn't, or because I'm the only one whose hands aren't painted on...

I really don't want to hold back an entire party on account of me, so I tend to solo. I still lend a hand when someone needs me, and still offer help, but I play solo because I know Murphy's Law applies every five minutes.
The average person thinks he isn't.
-Anonymous

VanorDM
02.03.2012 , 01:38 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealDestian View Post
a game that will certainly offer an inferior solo play experience than an actual single player game
This is not true at all. SWTOR is vastly superior to any other SW RPG on the market right now. I played KOTOR and now I'm done with it.

So if you know of any other Bioware made SW based RPG out there, I'd like to hear about it.

Oh and it would have to have the option to play with other people, and provide regular content updates.

Quote:
In case anyone is wondering, this is directed at all of the angry posts that complain bitterly about not being able to solo absolutely EVERY piece of content in this
I've seen posts by people asking for the option to solo more content, but I haven't seen any angry ones. I've seen a lot of angry replies, such as the one I'm responding to about it however.

Urko
02.03.2012 , 01:39 PM | #7
I think this MMO has taken in far too many players that WANT to just play it like a single player game, this is not good.
Well done Patch 1.2, lots of additions that i was looking for.

knightblaster
02.03.2012 , 01:39 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Calsetes View Post
I usually play solo in MMOs because I frequently run into problems that prevent me from being able to group flawlessly - such as someone screaming bloody murder from downstairs for no reason, or a computer that has a wonky GPU and overheats when it shouldn't, or because I'm the only one whose hands aren't painted on...

I really don't want to hold back an entire party on account of me, so I tend to solo. I still lend a hand when someone needs me, and still offer help, but I play solo because I know Murphy's Law applies every five minutes.
This.

Also, people like to adventure in a persistent world. Not necessarily "showing off", but not everyone in real life is an extrovert either -- some people just like doing their own thing.

Amdramnar
02.03.2012 , 01:40 PM | #9
Or maybe because they are FUN? And just because you do not find them engaging unless you are interacting with other people, does not mean I am incapable of enjoying a game.
Amdramnar shot first!

stem
02.03.2012 , 01:40 PM | #10
You're mostly right.

Look at Dragon Age...... the solo RPG that requires you to log in just to play.... so you can compare your 'epic' characters.

I remember when you’d hide from people how much time you shamelessly wasted in video games….. now people flaunt it.
An enemy on your six should stay on your six, or at least try too.