Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Younglings with lightsabers, SWTOR characters/adults with sticks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Younglings with lightsabers, SWTOR characters/adults with sticks?

Jakain
02.03.2012 , 09:54 AM | #1
In the prequels, all the Jedi have lightsabers, including the Younglings. In the OT, Luke was handed a lightsaber and after just a few minutres training with Obi-wan, Luke was able to deflect blasters from a flying droid.

So why do our SWTOR adults have to start with weapons that look like they belong on Jabba's pig guards rather than on Jedi/Sith in training? Is it just to have some kind of lightsaber discovery cutscene? Even though lightsabers are relatively common?

Imo the lightsaber should've been handed at the very beginning of the game (even at level 1) and should've replaced the lightsaber discovery cutscenes with story stuff.

Of course this is just fanboy QQ. But anyone else find it strange that SWTOR sith/jedi get the short end of the stick? Is there some vital EU lore I'm overlooking? I stopped reading the SW books once the prequels were released.

Gradivus
02.03.2012 , 09:56 AM | #2
I suppose health&safety was much more important back in the day. :P

Wolfninjajedi
02.03.2012 , 09:56 AM | #3
Um....its way before the movies? Hence theres probably not a lot of lightsabers(for training), or training sabers haven't been thought of yet.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Pubsam
02.03.2012 , 10:12 AM | #4
I think having to earn your first saber, which is THE iconic weapon, is better narrative. They shouldn't be handed out like candy canes!
Time for a nap.

Restepor
02.03.2012 , 01:57 PM | #5
Because your just entering training, it's not like those younglings were handed those blades from the begging.

Also they were training blades, most of the time, when they were participating in the academy.

Jadalyn
02.03.2012 , 02:55 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Pubsam View Post
I think having to earn your first saber, which is THE iconic weapon, is better narrative. They shouldn't be handed out like candy canes!
I suggest you dont play sith warrior or inquisitor, then.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

psychogobstopper
02.03.2012 , 06:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadalyn View Post
I suggest you dont play sith warrior or inquisitor, then.
Jedi are often taught that lightsabers are not merely tools, but extensions of their own self. The different ways in which the Jedi and Sith retrieve lightsabers in their class stories make a great deal of sense to me. For the Jedi Order, it's part of an apprentice's trials; for the Sith, it's either something to be sought out to prove oneself worthy or it's simply a handed-down gift. It feels "right" to me that the Sith are more pragmatic in their approach in these stories than are the Jedi.

Scottomir
02.03.2012 , 06:54 PM | #8
Prequels? What are you referring to? There were ONLY three movies, released in 1977, 1980, and 1983. I'm sure if there was an attempt to continue the story of the movies 15 years later by their aged creator, I'm sure they'd be awful, uninspired, and grossly commercialized.

So I'm glad TOR is doing anything different from what terrible prequels would have done. If terrible prequels existed. Which they don't. Not in my reality.

GoggleBoi
02.03.2012 , 07:02 PM | #9
Your reality sounds wonderful; How do I emmigrate? is there a form I can fill out?

Mechavomit
02.03.2012 , 07:03 PM | #10
The sabers in the prequels were training sabers with adjustable power. You could literally grab the blade with your hand and nothing besides maybe a slight burn would appear.
Plus, I've seen countless topics whining how nothing advances and so on.. well here you go! Something does change in 3000 years =)