Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HM BT as a Sin?

JonGhoti
02.03.2012 , 06:45 AM | #1
I attempted to tank HM BT the other night and failed miserably! On the first gold fight, i was spiked down before the healer even knew i needed to be healed. It was so fast, it felt instantaneous. We figured it was a fluke and moved on after the Sorc tanked those mobs. When we got to the first actual boss, the giant robot, once again, I was killed almost instantaneously. The complete failure of the Flash Point was not the healers fault and was not the DPS' fault, it must have been my lack of gear.... So here is where i have a problem:

My spec: Tank
I have ~15k hps, 6200 armor rating, 17% defense, 35% shield, 20% absorb
I am almost completely decked out in Champ dps pvp gear. I understand that i should be a bit squishy due to my lack of absorb and having dps pvp gear and not tank pve gear... but the time it took for me to die, it seems the extra 1k hps would go just as fast as the first 15k went and that my armor rating being very respectable for attempting the first hard mode flash point would make up for the lack of absorption. Any other sins having this problem?

All stats are base, without outside buffs.

Daovin
02.03.2012 , 10:04 AM | #2
That first pull, is probably the most burst damage you'll receive in the whole FP.

Blowing cool-downs on it is advised.
"They come, marching, believing themselves equal to the army of ancients that chained me. But I am not of their time."
―The Infernal One

toastybilly
02.03.2012 , 10:32 AM | #3
PVP gear for PVE is a bad idea even if their is only a minor hp difference. You tanking stats will be to low and you will get rocked every time. Most other people in the group can get by on PVP gear but a tank can not at all. Go to the ah and buy your self some tank gear or run some reg modes to get some. Ive seen to many tanks try in pvp gear just to fail.

Qilz
02.03.2012 , 10:35 AM | #4
So you are a tank in PvP gear designed for DPS?

You really need to wonder why you got faceplanted? If I was your DPS and saw that gear before going in, I would have instantly dropped group.

BALORINA
02.03.2012 , 10:35 AM | #5
You weren't a tank, you were wearing dps gear. It's not just health you are missing, you also have zero defense outside what talents give you. I'm going to bet since you think that it's "just 1000 health" you also had a focus on instead of a sheild generator, so your shield chance is zero. So any preconceived notion you might have gotten about assassin tanks was completely wrong... you weren't a tank you were a dps with the wrong spec.

That said, I've tanked HMBT as a dps spec in dps gear. You just can't do the optional boss without a level of difficulty that makes it better to just skip it.

ZombieClownz
02.03.2012 , 10:40 AM | #6
OP, head over to the class forum and read the two threads about Assassin tanking. Excellent info in there that will make your life a lot easier.

As a Tankassin myself, I can say it is very doable to tank BT (and pretty much everything else) on HM if you know what you're doing, and you gear properly.

Anvenom
02.03.2012 , 10:45 AM | #7
I've tankedalmost every HM FP as a sin tank in mostly champ pvp gear several times. The key is that is TANK pvp gear (stats like def abs and sheild actually work properly in pve even though they are near worthless in pvp).

As far as rotation kinda of stuff, dark ward should always be up, wither and discharge used when up, and dont forget to have dark charge activated (from how fast you went down, im betting you had lighting charge up).

Hope that helps

Rikshaw
02.03.2012 , 10:47 AM | #8
From a healers perspective, that first fight is a pain in the butt and IS the most difficult part of the FP. For that reason alone it should be nerfed.

I understand that he was wearing the wrong gear, but we can all admit that the first gold fight in a FP shouldnt be the reason you wipe lol. Save it for the final boss or bonus boss. Especially when the final BT boss is so freaking easy to beat... doesnt make sense.

And for those who care about RP- Does it make sense that a random dude guarding a door is stronger than a Jedi protecting vital people? I think not.

ZombieClownz
02.03.2012 , 10:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikshaw View Post
From a healers perspective, that first fight is a pain in the butt and IS the most difficult part of the FP. For that reason alone it should be nerfed.

I understand that he was wearing the wrong gear, but we can all admit that the first gold fight in a FP shouldnt be the reason you wipe lol. Save it for the final boss or bonus boss. Especially when the final BT boss is so freaking easy to beat... doesnt make sense.

And for those who care about RP- Does it make sense that a random dude guarding a door is stronger than a Jedi protecting vital people? I think not.
I almost think the first fight is a check. If you can't beat that, then you have no business being in the instance.

BALORINA
02.03.2012 , 10:50 AM | #10
He's actually not hard, you just have to deal with the first alpha strike of all 3 adds + 1 boss hitting a target at the exact same time. Once the alpha strike is over, it's fairly simple.