Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Annihilation vs Carnage, Pro's and Con's

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Warrior > Marauder
Annihilation vs Carnage, Pro's and Con's

Arcaine
12.13.2011 , 09:01 AM | #1
As the title suggests, I'd like to find the pro's and the con's of each build. I was unable to test out SW during the beta, so I'd like your input.

Which one is more PvE friendly, and which is more suited for PvP?
Is one better at dealing with large mobs with AoE?
Is one build focused mainly on single target?
Does one focus on burst damage?
Does one focus on bleed damage?

What's your personal preference on the different builds?
Vegetarian..ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride

Zentaos
12.13.2011 , 09:06 AM | #2
Good question OP! I am looking forward to the answer as well
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
Sun Tzu---Proud member of Havoc! Join us!

Senatsu
12.13.2011 , 09:12 AM | #3
Carnage is more of the heavy burst, crit heavy DPSer, but Annihilation is the slowly build up damage with bleeds. Both of them should be equally strong in AoE, maybe Anni has a slight advantage being able to Force Jump more often and with greater ease.
When it comes to PvP, I feel they are both quite strong. Anni could be a bit stronger in closing in on ranged classes, but they do less damage over a short time span. So it's all a bit of a preference thing in PvP: Do you prefer to stay on your target more easily, but kill them slightly slower, or burn them down more quickly, but risk ranged classes to get away.
I, personally, prefer Carnage. I love being able to deal a LOT of damage in a very short amount of time, especially in PvP.

Metalizzi
12.13.2011 , 09:20 AM | #4
And how do both specs work ? I mean, ok burst and DoT, but what are the skills used, etc ?

Senatsu
12.13.2011 , 09:25 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalizzi View Post
And how do both specs work ? I mean, ok burst and DoT, but what are the skills used, etc ?
That could take a long while to explain, longer than my attention span care to go into. You just have to try them out.

Mahtee
12.13.2011 , 09:46 AM | #6
Nothing against your question, but you can look up all of this information online. Use Youtube, there are guides, use the holonet on this site. there is also Torhead.com that is a huge database for the game

trmptrnick
12.13.2011 , 09:48 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalizzi View Post
Looks like time to read the skills and see what they do, analyze what they mean, and put it to good use. This early, not all of the answers will present themselves into a fine tuned spreadsheet that tells you exactly when, where and how to hit. Learning what moves do what and how to apply them to a certain situation is what makes us a better master of our class, not someone telling you what to do.
Squadron 367
Hail the Mighty OPOD (Orange Pixel Of Death)

Viralblack
12.13.2011 , 10:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mahtee View Post
Nothing against your question, but you can look up all of this information online. Use Youtube, there are guides, use the holonet on this site. there is also Torhead.com that is a huge database for the game
Nothing wrong with just discussing either, that is kinda the whole point of a community

AuraManaokei
12.13.2011 , 10:16 AM | #9
^exactly. I used carnage during beta and found it to fit my play style quite well.

EasymodeX
12.13.2011 , 11:49 AM | #10
Low tier Annihilation is the best for PvE through level 30ish.

For low level PvP, low tier Carn is better.

At high levels, Carn is better for group PvP and Annihilation is good for solo PvP.

They're both fine for PvE as far as people know currently. Annihilation probably has an edge for solo PvE at high levels.

Carnage is characterized by:

1. Heavy burst sequences on a 15s cooldown.
2. Proc damage.
3. Extra roots and CC breaks, and run speed.

Annihilation is characterized by:

1. Elemental damage (ignores armor).
2. Self heal ticks.
3. Faster/more flexible Force Charge.
4. Pulsing burst on a 7-10 second cooldown.