Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling as a Seer

Shlamorel
12.13.2011 , 09:01 AM | #1
Hi all,

I didn't get to play Beta so I had a question for anyone who did (or who is in-game now and will be approaching advanced classes soon).

What is leveling like as a Seer? Obviously, I would expect to do less damage than other specs. I plan on being a Seer regardless of the answer, but I'm hoping to figure out if I need to make sure I try to group up with my guildmates (who are all DPS) to accomplish things quicker, or if I can cover the same amount of ground at a comparable rate flying solo?

I'm not asking if I can zoom through content as a healer. I'm just curious, on a scale from 1 to 10, how comparable we are with others in speed of questing/instancing/killing things solo (with 1 being so unbearably slow, and 10 being equal speed as a DPS spec).

Thanks for any insight in advance!

Phalladar
12.13.2011 , 09:05 AM | #2
I don't have any personal info on this for you, but I did start a thread on reddit that got some responses that should interest you.

Hope it helps.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/commen...g_as_a_healer/

OCoChoco
12.13.2011 , 09:11 AM | #3
1-10 its all the same and after that you have a companion to help you, so there isnt really a problem at all and your DPS difference wont appear until later levels.

Nayab
12.13.2011 , 09:15 AM | #4
I leveled to 24 as a Seer in Beta. I have to say, it wasn't difficult at all. In heroics and flashpoints you'll definitely need to take on the healing role, but in most normal quests you won't need to heal extremely often, and you'll be able to do a decent amount of damage. Every point you put into the Seer tree makes your Presence stat better, which increases healing and your companion's effectiveness. So if you intend to level as a Seer, you will require a companion with you when playing solo to be effective.

So, I'd actually say 10/10. Unlike a DPS spec, you have the ability to heal your companion and yourself, really increasing your survivability to make up for the extra damage you won't be doing. I might even say 11/10 :P
Roa's Rules for Smugglers: 1. Never ignore a call for help. 2. Never take from those who are poorer than yourself. 3. Never play sabacc unless you're prepared to lose. 4. Never pilot a ship under the influence. 5. Always be prepared to make a quick getaway.
- The Hutt Gambit, book two in the Han Solo Trilogy

Spectrallight
12.13.2011 , 09:15 AM | #5
I did play a seer during the betas, Got him to 27. I did not have trouble dps wise until I hit the mid 20's. And then the trouble only came from the quests/missions that were supposed to be group quests. I was soloing them and died a few times due to the lower dps. But for the main part , a seer can dps trash and level much easier then most other MMO healers I have ever played.
Jedi Consular Seer
*** CE, Kryatt Dragon Server ***

Cartho
12.13.2011 , 09:48 AM | #6
Seer is a very effective levelling spec. Your force attacks still do a fair bit of damage, your heals can keep you up and, perhaps most importantly, the companion system works in your favour.

Get a tanky companion to hold aggro / kill mobs, you heal him / do abit of DPS.
Slashinator, Sith Juggernaut - The Shadow Runner EU

PhantomKash
12.13.2011 , 09:53 AM | #7
Thanks for the helpful replies guys, looks like I'll be putting my points into the Seer tree afterall.

Shlamorel
12.13.2011 , 04:06 PM | #8
Agree with Phantom - thank you so much for all the helpful replies. I can't remember the last time I posted on forums of a certain other game and didn't have at least one rude troll.

I enjoy healing so this will just make me more excited to put my points into Seer.

Thanks again!

Disruptions
12.13.2011 , 05:16 PM | #9
As it has been suggested on other threads, I would suggest the first few points you put into leveling go into the Telekinetics tree for the extra force power and efficiency talents.

Then Seer is a fine spec to level with.
₪₪
CROSSBONES
₪₪

Shlamorel
12.13.2011 , 05:28 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Disruptions View Post
As it has been suggested on other threads, I would suggest the first few points you put into leveling go into the Telekinetics tree for the extra force power and efficiency talents.

Then Seer is a fine spec to level with.
Cool thanks for the tip.

Will putting only a handful of points into Telikentics then switching to Seer not harm you in the long-run though? As you progress through tiers - you'd be further behind on abilities that may be game-changing, no? (delay getting healing trance, rejuv, etc.)?