Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sonic Barrier moderate amount of dmg?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Warrior > Juggernaut
Sonic Barrier moderate amount of dmg?

Samurro
02.07.2012 , 04:56 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by nRGon View Post
You don't have to use it right away, literally your next Scream is free of charge. You'll want to use it often anyway, it's nice to have damage mitigation free of charge somewhere close to the beginning of a fight. What do you like more for Tier 1 talents, Quake?
Yes Sir, as stated in other posts of me. Quake helps you with protecting your allies, Free Force Scream doesn't!
Style > Skill > Stats

Darth Suffocation - Open World PVP

Samurro
02.07.2012 , 04:57 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Crymson-Raider View Post
5. Lost Impale...which is a cool animation imo compared to Backhand/Crushing Blow
/27/0
Backhand has the best combat animation there is in this game.
Style > Skill > Stats

Darth Suffocation - Open World PVP

Tankshoes
02.07.2012 , 05:24 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Samurro View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by nRGon
You don't have to use it right away, literally your next Scream is free of charge. You'll want to use it often anyway, it's nice to have damage mitigation free of charge somewhere close to the beginning of a fight. What do you like more for Tier 1 talents, Quake?
Yes Sir, as stated in other posts of me. Quake helps you with protecting your allies, Free Force Scream doesn't!
You only need 1 point in the free Force Grr, which is mandatory (for the 5 points to advance in tier), there should never be any more than that as typically, you won't be jumping around that often. It shows its usefulness in BT HM where half the trash are non-elites, but less use on tank and spank encounters.

Quote: Originally Posted by Samurro View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Crymson-Raider
5. Lost Impale...which is a cool animation imo compared to Backhand/Crushing Blow
/27/0
Backhand has the best combat animation there is in this game.
And sound*

Helig
02.07.2012 , 07:09 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Tankshoes View Post
So you swapped 4% shield chance and a dmg bubble... for a pretty animation for tanking?

umadbro?
How'bout 4% Energy\Kinetic mitigation and 4% Endurance, and a 20% defensive mini-cooldown on Intercede (works like a charm when you cooperate with another melee - they they lose aggro, you gain 20% damage resistance. Every 20 secs.).
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Tankshoes
02.07.2012 , 07:34 AM | #25
Intercede lasts 6sec, wouldn't you need to use it off every CD to be effective? Melee partner would risk getting cleaved. I'd probably save it before big hits (Foreman Crusher or one of Gharj's jumps springs to mind), rather than spamming it off CD.

If you were to talent Vengeance (Force scream -3sec), you would have a bubble every 9 sec; would this not balance out with a 20% dmg reduction?

I'd love to play around and try something new, but I'm not sure how I could test it properly. Could anyone else give me some feedback please?

Helig
02.07.2012 , 11:32 AM | #26
Intercede lasts 6sec, wouldn't you need to use it off every CD to be effective? Melee partner would risk getting cleaved. I'd probably save it before big hits (Foreman Crusher or one of Gharj's jumps springs to mind), rather than spamming it off CD.

If you were to talent Vengeance (Force scream -3sec), you would have a bubble every 9 sec; would this not balance out with a 20% dmg reduction?

I'd love to play around and try something new, but I'm not sure how I could test it properly. Could anyone else give me some feedback please?
The absorb bubble is useless. 1500-1700 is virtually nothing. At least in hardmode raids. Even without Intercede damage reduction 4% passive energy\kinetic mitigation is very solid.

Exchanging 4% damage resistance, 4% stamina and Impale (amazing contribution to aggro, plus, in case of 14\27 near-autocrit on finisher\Scream) for, lol, 1700 bubble every 9 sec is... illogical, to say the least.

The best way to determine the playstyle best-suited for you is to try it out yourself. Full Immortal is, by no means, useless. For general-purpose tanking, I'd take full Immortal, because it's more well-rounded for general-purpose tanking. I'd also consider it for PvP, because a lot of stuns in organized groups=awesome. For boss tanking, however, Veng hybrids win hands down.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Sykomyke
02.07.2012 , 12:16 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Webel View Post
Sonic Barrier is totally worth the talent points the 4 piece tier set gives u an extra 20% making it go up to 40% so now instead of absorbing a 1.2k hit ur absorbing a 2.4 thats amazing especially if u know the boss is enraging or hitting harder that one absorbed hit could be just enough for the healers heal too go off before u die so yea totally worth taking it No CONTEST!
This is completely and totally wrong.

Sonic Barrier does not have an inital percent. All that set bonus does is make the value of sonic barrier increase by 20% upon generation.

For example: If your sonic barrier shields for 1000 damage, with the 4 piece set bonus it will shield for 1200.

1.2x=Sonic Barrier Amount|||where x=initial value.

Not sure where you got the idea that 20% would double the value of it.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

Webel
02.07.2012 , 12:37 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
This is completely and totally wrong.

Sonic Barrier does not have an inital percent. All that set bonus does is make the value of sonic barrier increase by 20% upon generation.

For example: If your sonic barrier shields for 1000 damage, with the 4 piece set bonus it will shield for 1200.

1.2x=Sonic Barrier Amount|||where x=initial value.

Not sure where you got the idea that 20% would double the value of it.
You sir are correct I misread the skill completly still think its worth it tho!

Tankshoes
02.07.2012 , 01:44 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
The absorb bubble is useless. 1500-1700 is virtually nothing.
According to this post that was linked earlier, the forumla is:

Code:
1161.94 + 3.27 * Force Healing Bonus = bubble
To be honest, I have no idea where those numbers have come from, as I can't find any values on torhead, but if it's correct, I believe my bubble is worth 2076.

For me, the question is if 4% per hit totals the same damage or more as what I could potentially absorb with the bubble.

As Force Scream is a 12sec CD untalented, and Deafening Defense reduces 4% on all damage, I'm pretty sure the boss would have to hit me 8 times in 12 seconds, for 6500 each, to cover the same amount of damage in what 1 bubble would take.

6500 * 0.04 * 8 = 2080.

I just tanked Kaon with the build suggested. I'm not all that sure about the threat but if anything, I just felt spiky when taking damage.

edit:

The only place I can see it being great is Foreman Crusher's 20hit frenzy.

Helig
02.07.2012 , 04:08 PM | #30
According to this post that was linked earlier, the forumla is:

Code:
1161.94 + 3.27 * Force Healing Bonus = bubble
To be honest, I have no idea where those numbers have come from, as I can't find any values on torhead, but if it's correct, I believe my bubble is worth 2076.

For me, the question is if 4% per hit totals the same damage or more as what I could potentially absorb with the bubble.

As Force Scream is a 12sec CD untalented, and Deafening Defense reduces 4% on all damage, I'm pretty sure the boss would have to hit me 8 times in 12 seconds, for 6500 each, to cover the same amount of damage in what 1 bubble would take.

6500 * 0.04 * 8 = 2080.

I just tanked Kaon with the build suggested. I'm not all that sure about the threat but if anything, I just felt spiky when taking damage.

edit:

The only place I can see it being great is Foreman Crusher's 20hit frenzy.
Don'cha use your fancy mathematics to mudden the issue!

On the more serious note, if you look at the greater picture, the tiny absorb shield doesn't do much. We also need to take into account MT buffs from other healers, like Sage\Sorc shields, armour rating buffs from Mercs\Commandos and Sages\Sorcs. Stacking %% mitigation scales way better than flat amounts absorbed.

If the bubble scaled better, I'd regard it seriously. Right now, it scales through secondary and tertiary stats (Str=>FP=>FH and Power=>FH) with a rather questionable 3.24 (or 3.27 - different sources, I guess) coefficient. Now then, if it scaled with total HP and could be further buffed with talents to act as aftereffect mitigation after the bubble was "bursted", I'd call it excellent design.

But now, it's rather "meh".