Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone think that the EU has lost its way?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anyone think that the EU has lost its way?

Aitix
02.08.2012 , 05:17 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
George Lucas did the same in the Prequels, really. Jedi became too uber outside the original trilogy. The early EU novels still got it right, but later it got entirely out of hand.
No, the prequel Jedi were mostly okay in terms of their abilities. It made sense, giving that the prequels took place during the Jedi's golden age. What happened was that the EU authors took it to a whole new level. Actually, the Force-users were becoming overpowered even before the prequels.

PeepsMcJuggs
02.08.2012 , 06:56 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Aitix View Post
No, the prequel Jedi were mostly okay in terms of their abilities. It made sense, giving that the prequels took place during the Jedi's golden age. What happened was that the EU authors took it to a whole new level. Actually, the Force-users were becoming overpowered even before the prequels.
No really, they weren't. Maybe in the comics, but not in the novels. You can look at them one-by-one, and you'll see that's not the case. There was moments where they'd discover new abilities (like Luke learning of the White Current), but none of it was over the top. In fact, it's pretty consistent that the Jedi had limits and specialties, such as not being able to sense droids in the Force, Jacen Solo's affinity for animals and Anakin Solo's affinity for machinery. It wasn't until '99, when the start of the Prequel era coincided with the start of the New Jedi Order series, that their Force abilities got supercharged.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Vulta
02.08.2012 , 07:23 PM | #123
I gotta agree with the op, I enjoyed some of the earlier novels, and I thought legacy of the force wasn't bad, (haven't read Thrawn's series, probably should) I have to say though one of the worst things the authors did was turn the Jedi and Sith into Dragon Ball Z characters I mean emperor palpatine became friggin god mode in the EU, powerful is fine, but the ability to just eradicate whole planets with no real effort is just ridiculous. Abeloth is even worse, It's hit the point were they aren't even really Jedi or Sith. Even Luke has become ridiculously overpowered.

BrandonSM
02.08.2012 , 07:24 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Vulta View Post
I gotta agree with the op, I enjoyed some of the earlier novels, and I thought legacy of the force wasn't bad, (haven't read Thrawn's series, probably should) I have to say though one of the worst things the authors did was turn the Jedi and Sith into Dragon Ball Z characters I mean emperor palpatine became friggin god mode in the EU, powerful is fine, but the ability to just eradicate whole planets with no real effort is just ridiculous. Abeloth is even worse, It's hit the point were they aren't even really Jedi or Sith. Even Luke has become ridiculously overpowered.
Oh, dear. Read some of the feats Luke, Abeloth and, anyother Skywalker have done.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Stranger_D
02.08.2012 , 07:28 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post

Come to think of it... The Prequel Palpatine and his machination might have been even better (more believable with less flaws as redlettermedia/plinkett review pointed out) if he had been written by Zahn.
Nah, I prefer him to be just evil hammy dictator, not some well-intention extremist. Beside, we wouldn't have the awesomely hilarious POWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! UNLIMITED POWAH!!!!!! line if Zahn wrote it.

Keihryon
02.08.2012 , 07:34 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Oh, dear. Read some of the feats Luke, Abeloth and, anyother Skywalker have done.
See I haven't seen much about Abeloth except extreme Force Persuasion, Force Consumption, and being a changeling. Kevin J. Anderson having Luke Force Shield, and hover across an active volcano was over the top though. I never considered them to be overpowered for the most part because no-one knew what could be done with the Force..

I guess I don't consider guiding shadow bombs with the Force as overpowered.

and I wondered why Obi-wan didn't use the Force to remove the Buzz droids from his ship in ep. 3.

BTW, did none of you see the Clone Wars micro series? Talk about over the top...and it was directly approved by Lucas, like the tv show is.

BrandonSM
02.08.2012 , 07:39 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Keihryon View Post
See I haven't seen much about Abeloth except extreme Force Persuasion, Force Consumption, and being a changeling. Kevin J. Anderson having Luke Force Shield, and hover across an active volcano was over the top though. I never considered them to be overpowered for the most part because no-one knew what could be done with the Force..

I guess I don't consider guiding shadow bombs with the Force as overpowered.

and I wondered why Obi-wan didn't use the Force to remove the Buzz droids from his ship in ep. 3.

BTW, did none of you see the Clone Wars micro series? Talk about over the top...and it was directly approved by Lucas, like the tv show is.
The fact that Luke states Abe is 13 times more powerful than Him automatically makes Abe OP. Luke teleported objects and learned how to make lightning bolts. He made himself immovabe and created blackholes. Luke is the most OP character there is, but I guess the writers have no choice since GL wants him to be like that. Now no one knows how to kill him.

Thats why I want the EU to have a clean slate and reset, but its nearly impossible.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

PeepsMcJuggs
02.08.2012 , 08:38 PM | #128
See I haven't seen much about Abeloth except extreme Force Persuasion, Force Consumption, and being a changeling. Kevin J. Anderson having Luke Force Shield, and hover across an active volcano was over the top though.
I don't remember that. When did that happen?

Oh, I saw it. I found it laughably entertaining from a Hey-Who-Spilled-Their-Akira-On-My-Star-Wars perspective.

(And what the hell happened to those Droidekas' shields?)
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

RoadtoArkham
02.08.2012 , 09:15 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger_D View Post
Nah, I prefer him to be just evil hammy dictator, not some well-intention extremist. Beside, we wouldn't have the awesomely hilarious POWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! UNLIMITED POWAH!!!!!! line if Zahn wrote it.
Can't do without those lines. Literally made RoS worth it.
Hail to the King, baby.

Talkative
02.08.2012 , 09:19 PM | #130
The EU is hit or miss, and it really depends so heavily on the caliber of the author that I sometimes feel inclined to simply skip books in the middle of a series because I know the author will fail to deliver.

I hate the Old Republic stuff almost unilaterally; the Old Republic stuff expressed via comic book/graphic novel medium tends to be pretty good on the whole. But the books? Ugh. Pure ugh.

Worse than NJO ugh (and actually aside from the whole premise/impetus for that series, NJO stands as some of the best writing to ever get done in Star Wars; but look at the caliber of authors and it becomes pretty clear why that is).

In short, to someone walking into the EU for the first time today: Zahn, Allston, Stackpole, and possibly Denning (nothing he's written so far has been bad, but he's followed Karen Traviss all through Legacy of the Force so it feels like he's just sweeping up her messes). Steve Perry's single foray is also notable, although when you stop and really consider everything, it does feel sort of derivative. I chalk it up to being a guilty pleasure.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever. - Robert Ricciardi