Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone think that the EU has lost its way?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anyone think that the EU has lost its way?

PeepsMcJuggs
02.08.2012 , 05:33 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
George Lucas did the same in the Prequels, really. Jedi became too uber outside the original trilogy. The early EU novels still got it right, but later it got entirely out of hand.
Yeah, I remember some great plot points about the limits of their Force knowledge. While the Jedi Academy Trilogy had its faults, one thing I particularly loved was how they wrote Cilghal's specialization as a Jedi Healer: that the individual Jedi each had their own strengths and weaknesses. But then came the prequels and the EU quickly went downhill. Suddenly every Jedi (except Corran Horn) was an über Jedi with the exact same 1337 skillset. Now you've got Luke absorbing the collective knowledge of every Force wielder ever like a frickin' sponge, and people like Jaina learning the long-lost technique of Shatterpoint by spending five minutes with him. Ridiculous.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

priest
02.08.2012 , 09:13 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
George Lucas did the same in the Prequels, really. Jedi became too uber outside the original trilogy. The early EU novels still got it right, but later it got entirely out of hand.
Don't even get me started on midichlorians....
€█╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬Ž┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃×ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Omnitheo
02.08.2012 , 11:01 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by priest View Post
Don't even get me started on midichlorians....
I suggest you read Darth Plagueis

Loyal_Viggo
02.08.2012 , 11:55 AM | #114
When I read the title, I was prepared for some hardcore foreign, domestic, cultural and economic policy debates on the European Union...

I guess SW novels come close.
Help me Obi-oware Kenobi, you're my only hope...

priest
02.08.2012 , 12:39 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Loyal_Viggo View Post
When I read the title, I was prepared for some hardcore foreign, domestic, cultural and economic policy debates on the European Union...

I guess SW novels come close.

Its wierd; I think that we've talked about the EU as being the EU before the EU was the EU

JustTed
02.08.2012 , 12:43 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Omnitheo View Post
I suggest you read Darth Plagueis
I couldn't even get past the title.

I'm sure this has been in this thread, but even so, it bears repeating.

priest
02.08.2012 , 02:11 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by justted View Post
i couldn't even get past the title.

I'm sure this has been in this thread, but even so, it bears repeating.
lol!!!

priest
02.08.2012 , 02:15 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
Yeah, I remember some great plot points about the limits of their Force knowledge. While the Jedi Academy Trilogy had its faults, one thing I particularly loved was how they wrote Cilghal's specialization as a Jedi Healer: that the individual Jedi each had their own strengths and weaknesses. But then came the prequels and the EU quickly went downhill. Suddenly every Jedi (except Corran Horn) was an über Jedi with the exact same 1337 skillset. Now you've got Luke absorbing the collective knowledge of every Force wielder ever like a frickin' sponge, and people like Jaina learning the long-lost technique of Shatterpoint by spending five minutes with him. Ridiculous.
I meant to make a point on this, but I forgot to. That was the greatness of the Thrawn Trilogy: Luke didn't learn much more about the Force...he learned about HIMSELF. The only thing that I dlslike is the death of Thrawn. I truly thought that he could have been a great ongoing adversary, and that there were more stories that needed telling...but I understand why, at that time, Zahn did it.

I would love to ask Tim Zahn if he ever regreted killing of the Grand Admiral.

MustrumRidcully
02.08.2012 , 02:51 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by priest View Post
I meant to make a point on this, but I forgot to. That was the greatness of the Thrawn Trilogy: Luke didn't learn much more about the Force...he learned about HIMSELF. The only thing that I dlslike is the death of Thrawn. I truly thought that he could have been a great ongoing adversary, and that there were more stories that needed telling...but I understand why, at that time, Zahn did it.

I would love to ask Tim Zahn if he ever regreted killing of the Grand Admiral.
Going by some of the later SW novels by Zahn, the answer almost must be yes. He certainly liked to play with Thrawn in those. It may have been his best villain ever. Or was he just doing us some fan service, knowing that we loved Thrawn? Could also be...

Many years after I read the original trilogy, I also read some of his other Sci-Fi books - Black Collar and Cobra series. They are all highly military-focused and all about the protagonists and the antagonists out-strategizing each other. They are kinda repetitive in that, admittedly, but they are also very enjoyable. Thrawn just seems to be the perfection of that archetype - except that in in Star Wars, the best strategist is the antagonist, not one of the protagonists.*

Come to think of it... The Prequel Palpatine and his machination might have been even better (more believable with less flaws as redlettermedia/plinkett review pointed out) if he had been written by Zahn.

*) Or is he? Talon Karrde is just as much a big thinker. Karrde, Mara Jade and Palleon were probably some of the best contributions to the EU, followed probably only by Corran Horn (and then, the rest of the Rogue Squadron crew).

RoadtoArkham
02.08.2012 , 04:16 PM | #120
Zahn, Stackpole, and Luceno.

Every other author can ****.

Drew K. gets a pass for Darth Bane, but that's it.

Edited to add: Video games added some great stuff, KOTOR I and II, Jedi Outcast in specific. But I think Force Unleashed went tooooooo far into godhood.
Hail to the King, baby.