Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

nonjedichampion
02.03.2012 , 01:04 AM | #21
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little....

See.....this is why I'm so conflicted about being a star wars fan anymore. The older George gets, the more he acts like the whiny Anikin that made me want to punch kittens. I guess after he's made his money he feels okay taking a dump in front his fans and then wiping his butt with the money they have given him over the years.
(█▒|▒|▒|▒|█[]█[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
"It's just a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense." -Han Solo

Kharnis
02.03.2012 , 01:28 AM | #22
You people will believe anything, won't you?
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing:

PeepsMcJuggs
02.03.2012 , 02:35 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnis View Post
You people will believe anything, won't you?
Apparently not, considering most responses are "This is probably a load of crap, but considering Lucas' other idiot decisions, I wouldn't be remotely surprised."
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Tuscad
02.03.2012 , 05:09 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
"This is probably a load of crap, but considering Lucas' other idiot decisions, I wouldn't be remotely surprised."
^This. I am scared. To be honest though even if he did this, I am sure that it would end up with the timeline getting restored in the next episode of Star Wars: Underworld.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

earlallison
02.03.2012 , 06:51 AM | #25
All this assumes that these people are SUCCESSFUL in changing the past (and that requires the rumor to be true, which I doubt).

Depending on what time travel theory you subscribe to, there are a few options;

1. Time is immutable. All you do is cause the very thing you were trying to change. The Disney series Gargoyles played with this a lot. Xanatos had a great comment on that, in response to a threat from Goliath about leaving him in the past.

"But you won't, because you didn't. Time travel's funny that way."

Personally, I love this one, because it has the potential for so much grief. You go back to, say, stop a murder, only to find out either that YOU were the murderer, or that your actions somehow prompted said murder. So, if you never went back, this never would have happened ...

2. You can change the past. So, you jump back, stop Anakin's ascention to become Vader, and come back to a world you don't recognize (and potentially don't exist in -- would your parents have met and produced a child, now?). Of course, it means someone else can do the same thing, go back and re-adjust the future. It also presumes things will be better. What if they're worse? What if Anakin becoming Vader, siring Luke and Leia, and twenty years of the Galactic Empire proves better than the alternative?

The Back to the Future movies personify this approach.

3. You can't actually change the past. What you do is create an alternate reality branching off at the point where you "change" history. So you go back, prevent Anakin from becoming Vader, but realize nothing has changed when you return. Well, no, you created a new future (which you could presumably have seen if you stayed) where things might be better (or worse), but YOUR baseline reality remains unchanged -- after all, if you'd changed it, wouldn't it already be better?

Chris Claremont and John Byrne's Days of Future Past in the Uncanny X-Men best demonstrates this version of time travel.

So the very IDEA isn't toxic. It all comes down to (assuming the rumor is even true) how it's handled.

Then again, I really hope George Lucas isn't taking a cue from the Abrams rebooted Star Trek. The movie was great, but Star Wars doesn't have that kind of baggage yet, only six movies to Trek's ten or eleven (if you count the reboot).

With a popular series already on the air, I don't know why he would consider this route.

Take it and run

Yfelsung
02.03.2012 , 08:19 AM | #26
I really wish Lucas would sell the Star Wars rights to like a collective of Expanded Universe writers or even two the doctors at Bioware.

Star Wars was and is a fantastic idea, one that could be made far superior if taken away from Lucas and given to competent universe builders.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

Valsdad
02.03.2012 , 08:22 AM | #27
Lucas doesn't own the story anymore (from a fan perspective) and anything he does is just from a spoiled tantrum throwing child's point of view.
Overtrebel, a right and proper scoundrel

Jmannseelo
02.03.2012 , 08:33 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Valsdad View Post
Lucas doesn't own the story anymore (from a fan perspective) and anything he does is just from a spoiled tantrum throwing child's point of view.
Which, ironically, is itself a very spoiled tantrum-throwing child's point of view. Lucas does own the story. Get over it.

PeepsMcJuggs
02.03.2012 , 11:23 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Jmannseelo View Post
Which, ironically, is itself a very spoiled tantrum-throwing child's point of view. Lucas does own the story. Get over it.
Which, doubly-ironically, is itself a very spoiled tantrum-throwing child's point of view. Star Wars fans aren't obligated to like everything Lucas does. Telling them to "get over it" is an incredibly childish response to someone with an opposing opinion.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Mechavomit
02.03.2012 , 11:32 AM | #30
K.
I'm gonna go sit in a corner and repeat the phrase "it's just a weak rumor" like a mantra.

The article makes an impression of a guy who outright HATES the prequels and all it's characters, making up conspiracy theories about Lucas and the the OT..