Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

acsith
02.05.2012 , 03:20 AM | #161
Quote:
Okay, now you're backpedaling (I saw your original comment before you just edited and rewrote it), which leads me to believe you've been doing research and found that my original statement, as it stands, is correct: Lucas didn't write out the entire story originally, and it wasn't until after the original film's success that he expanded on the plot. Honestly, I'm not going take the effort to find every piece of info for you, because it's all over the place: some from interviews, others from DVD commentaries, IMDB, etc, etc. Here's the short of it: Lucas originally developed Star Wars as a standalone film. Like any good storywriter, he created a backstory so his characters would have more depth. This doesn't mean he meant to take that backstory and make its own film out of it. It wasn't until the early 80s that he started developing this myth that he'd created this massive saga and only decided to do the middle first (which at the time he said would take 9 movies to tell the whole story). Seriously, there's details for this stuff all over the place, and it only takes a moderate amount of Googling. The bottom line is the urban myth that he had this idea for a multi-movie saga from the start is a false rumor perpetuated by Lucas himself. As for who wrote Empire Strikes Back, you need only go to IMDB. .
I changed my mind and decided to look this stuff up anyway I will admitt I was wrong on a few things and so were you I went to IMD and looked on episode 5 and yes Leigh Brackett Lawrence Kasdan wrote the screenplay but the story was written by lucas which I originally said http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080684/fullcredits#writers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoCP4jZLxk in this interview he does state he wrote a script which was 4 5 6 and used the first part but also states that he wrote a backstory on everything which is episodes 1 2 3 and that was the basis for the original movies 4 5 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeDBZMpaZqY in this interview when asked why he waited 16 years to do the 1 movie he states he was waiting on the technology to catch up with his imagination. Now when I originally posted I think I said he wrote the whole story and he did I wasnt talking about a screenplay or script where I was wrong is I said he wanted to do 1 but decided to do 4 I said he decided on the middle part of the story 4 first and I listed a reason. Now if you refer to the above interview he did wait on 1 due to tech he just doesnt state that in his interview on the original script. Now can you admitt you misread what I originally posted about when he wrote the whole story and the fact that I wasnt talking about a script including the fact that he wrote the story for 5 but didnt write the script. Like I said I will admit when im wrong about something, but it doesnt matter that much does it alot of information we get is false that goes for all of us. Also in my first post I asked why people dislike the prequals and you awnsered with I could list to you the reasons 1-3 are bad, but I'm sure you've heard them all before, and I suspect you're asking a leading question just so you can start refuting opinions I think its messed up you tell me that yet you have written a question stating pretty much the same thing. LOL

PeepsMcJuggs
02.05.2012 , 03:32 AM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by acsith View Post
<SNIP>
The problem with citing George Lucas on the subject of George Lucas is Lucas is the most contradictory source out there. He has changed his story on how Star Wars came to be and what his "original vision" was countless times over the years. If you want a detailed source that has thoroughly researched the actual development, and better understand what I'm saying about the perpetuated myth of Lucas' grand vision, check out The Secret History of Star Wars. You can read the first 100 pages from that link for free.

Quote:
Also in my first post I asked why people dislike the prequals and you awnsered with I could list to you the reasons 1-3 are bad, but I'm sure you've heard them all before, and I suspect you're asking a leading question just so you can start refuting opinions I think its messed up you tell me that yet you have written a question stating pretty much the same thing. LOL
Okay, you've completely lost me. You replied that you were genuinely asking why people disliked the prequels, so I decided to tell you why I dislike them. My comment about criticizing opinions wasn't direct specifically at you, but to stave off those that would try to argue why my opinion that the prequels are bad is "wrong."
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Vashy
02.05.2012 , 03:39 AM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
This is probably a load of crap, but considering Lucas' other idiot decisions, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.
^^

This. Could go either way, tbqh.
Kyada - 55 Assassin - Ebon Hawk
Elria - 55 Mercenary - Ebon Hawk
Beta Squadron 11-11-11

Aegeryen
02.05.2012 , 09:54 AM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by gurugeorge View Post
Well yes, actually, back in the day when "lightsaber duelling" was two guys boringly standing with their swords up Kendo-style, there was this film called Star Wars that got famous not just for its (almost totally non-digital) fx/action, world design dazzle and pizzazz, but also because it had engaging characters, acted by great actors, and a great script with a good story.

Mark Hammil was not , nor , is not a "great actor".

Aitix
02.05.2012 , 10:20 AM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by TriIIian View Post
I think George Lucas could have done alot more. He had an ability to make really great movies. Instead he made maybe 12 hours of great SW and really has done nothing since. He has the money and the know how but decided his gift was SW and that was it. He also want a zillion dollars just for anything to do with SW.

Compare that to Gene Roddenberry. Nearly 700 episodes at 45 minutes each. then 11 movies at 2 hours each. If GL had of done anything close to this he could say he left a legacy and I would be very impressed. But he didn't, he made 12 hours of film in last 68 years.

GL = 12 hours (You could watch them all in half a day)
GR = 525 hours (It would take you 23 days if you never slept)(months of show to watch)
I wouldn't say that. Look at the CGI Clone Wars series on TV. That's being produced by him and the story ideas come from him.

Warjhinn
02.05.2012 , 10:25 AM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by GalenDurron View Post
Not true. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I love the "original" original trilogy before Lucas decided to start fiddling with it. I'm talking 1995 THX VHS release. And I'm also not a fan of the prequels and everything they changed (midichlorians anyone?). So yeah, lets not go using blanket statements about groups of people, it makes you sound like an ignorant arse.
No insult or troll intended here, but the "Original" Trilogy started in 1977 with "Episode IV" which was later renamed to "A New Hope"

I absolutely was enthralled, and still am, with those. Great story and at the time great execution. I say that for the "First Three" New Hope, Revenge of the Empire, and Return of the Jedi. I was dis-appointed with the recent releases.
Patience my young Padawan. In time, all will be revealed.

KremlinKOA
02.05.2012 , 11:34 AM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by GoodEnoughForMe View Post
I am going to pretend this isn't true based on the weakness of the rumour so far.

On the off chance that this does prove true, I am pretty sure there is no reason left to live.
Reason to live?
How about "Campaigning to bring copyrights down to 25 years so GL loses control of Star wars entirely."
21st of July 2011: the day Bioware earned my enmity
1st of March 2012: The day they atoned, and won back my good graces.

DarylMusashi
02.05.2012 , 11:44 AM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnis View Post
You people will believe anything, won't you?
After the idiocy that Lucas has provided in the ruining of the OT (plus throwing the original versions down the memory hole), and the insult your intelligence new trilogy, yes, I expect the worst with Lucas. The more outlandish and insulting the rumor the more likely its true in Lucas' case. The South Park episode from a few years back regarding Indiana Jones and Lucas sums it up best.

Tekzan
02.05.2012 , 11:56 AM | #169
Al la Star Trek

PeepsMcJuggs
02.05.2012 , 12:04 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by Warjhinn View Post
No insult or troll intended here, but the "Original" Trilogy started in 1977 with "Episode IV" which was later renamed to "A New Hope"

I absolutely was enthralled, and still am, with those. Great story and at the time great execution. I say that for the "First Three" New Hope, Revenge of the Empire, and Return of the Jedi. I was dis-appointed with the recent releases.
To be more specific, the original film was "Star Wars." It was later renamed "Episode IV - A New Hope."
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."