Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

gregordunbar's Avatar


gregordunbar
02.03.2012 , 04:00 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
I have never claimed that midichloreans are the Force, which is why I told you to take ten seconds to click on the damn link. But since you seem incapable of doing that, let me copy-paste for you.


Happy now?

Also, if you'd paid attention to my earlier statement, I sent you that link so I wouldn't have to repeat myself. So of course the quotes are by me, genius.

And what in god's name does your link refute? .
Your link is to a thread that is started by a person that said and I QUOTE
Quote: Originally Posted by Blacktailstalker View Post
I read that midichlorians are microscopic livin organisms that enables the force. Is there mention that these living organisms also alter your facial attributes when ya fall on the dark side? like red eyes , pale face etc ..
Followed by

Quote: Originally Posted by Nissin View Post
I wouldn't except any in depth lore on something Lucas probably thought of while taking a crap reading the morning paper.
Then came a snarky comment and a very very long post by someone defending midichlorians and the misconceptions about them and and several posts after went religious. Just because you can quote 3 posts, 2 of them YOURS to make it sound like "most people" doesnt make it true especially when I am in the middle of talking to people here calling Midichlorians THE FORCE.

Your link, with 1 single person when you exclude yourself does NOT equal MOST PEOPLE thinking the way you do nor does it refute what is being talked about HERE by others. MY link, refutes the assumptions of midichlorians and YES YOU ARE MAKING AN ASSUMPTION AND YOU QUOTED IT.

Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
The problem with midichloreans isn't that there's a scientific explanation for how Jedi use The Force: it's that it's an unnecessary explanation.
That is a personal opinion. And just because YOU dont like details and information and want something left to the imagination...doesnt mean most people do, or that there isnt a need for it.

And yes, I am happy now...are you?

Sotaudi's Avatar


Sotaudi
02.03.2012 , 04:06 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by gregordunbar View Post
Actually wouldnt that mean that Anakin goes back and accidently kills his grandfather and sleeps with granny?
Well, it is a derivation of two ideas. I suppose to be accurate and true to both stories, he would have to send Obi Wan back, who, in the process of saving Shmi from the bounty hunter, hid Anakin's grandfather on future Alderaan to avoid changing Anakin's future, where he gets blown up by the death star. While consoling Shmi, he ends up sleeping with her, becoming Anakins father.

But that would just be silly.
(██████████████)

abishe's Avatar


abishe
02.03.2012 , 04:17 PM | #103
Lucas Smells Money...
Original=Cased closed=Bad business.

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
02.03.2012 , 05:13 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by gregordunbar View Post
Your link is to a thread that is started by a person that said and I QUOTE

Followed by

Then came a snarky comment and a very very long post by someone defending midichlorians and the misconceptions about them and and several posts after went religious. Just because you can quote 3 posts, 2 of them YOURS to make it sound like "most people" doesnt make it true especially when I am in the middle of talking to people here calling Midichlorians THE FORCE.

Your link, with 1 single person when you exclude yourself does NOT equal MOST PEOPLE thinking the way you do nor does it refute what is being talked about HERE by others. MY link, refutes the assumptions of midichlorians and YES YOU ARE MAKING AN ASSUMPTION AND YOU QUOTED IT.
You know, it's really hard to talk to you when you keep failing to see the forest through the trees. Again, I sent you that link specifically so you could read my comments on what exactly midichlorians changed. It wasn't to give you a consensus on the opinions of everyone or to have you tally who thought what. It was so you could read my comments without me having to type them all over again. This was in direct response to your first comment in this thread:

Quote: Originally Posted by gregordunbar View Post
Speaking of ignorant, what exactly did midichlorians change? Oh wait, nothing. The original explaination of the force by Obi-wan in EP4 was a layman explaination.

Midichlorian is nothing more than a name for an element thus actually giving a DETAIL of HOW the force is an energy field that binds us and penetraits us...by it being an element, a thing with substance and also explains how SOME can touch the force and others cannot, by them having more midichlorians in them forming a stronger connection with the whole.

The problem with so many old-school fanbois is that they just excepted not knowing any real detail in the Star Wars universe and when things got explained they just didnt like it so are pitching a fit about it all.

It doesnt take away from the misticism of the force at all, it ties the spiritual aspect with a tangable explainable science.

The force is a LIVING intelligent element that lives symbiotically with solid lifeforms that can with great numbers communicate with that lifeform. It actually makes sense. And when Lucas tries to get things to make sense, those that like dumbdown, get pissed.
And as per my comments, I explained to you what exactly the midichloreans change. The bottom line is you dropped into this thread pissing and moaning that old-school fanbois are pitching a fit without reason. And whether you agree with it or not, I gave you a valid, very specific reason.

Quote: Originally Posted by gregordunbar View Post
That is a personal opinion. And just because YOU dont like details and information and want something left to the imagination...doesnt mean most people do, or that there isnt a need for it.

And yes, I am happy now...are you?
Of course it's a personal opinion. The thing is, you're personifying the most frustrating hypocrisy of prequel defenders: that if an opinion is dissenting, it's somehow invalid. I don't care that you like midichloreans. Good for you. But stop dismissing the opinions of people that don't like the prequels as unfounded whining simply because we don't agree with you.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

gregordunbar's Avatar


gregordunbar
02.03.2012 , 05:57 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
You know, it's really hard to talk to you when you keep failing to see the forest through the trees. Again, I sent you that link specifically so you could read my comments on what exactly midichlorians changed. It wasn't to give you a consensus on the opinions of everyone or to have you tally who thought what.
...

Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
Did you even bother clicking on the link I gave you? Because you fundamentally misunderstand the problem people have with midichloreans.
There is nothing about what you first said (second quote) that points to "what problems you have" or "what problems some have", its an all inclusive statement, and the link was filled with people with MANY opinions both for and against and defeated your point of trying to include it in the first place.

Your problem is based on personal opinion, one person agreed with you, everyone else had problems based on assumptions OR had no problems with midichlorians and even disagreed with you.

You are trying to fight a statement based on fact (star wars canon) with personal opinion about it...perhaps you cant tell there is no forest to see through because your vision is being blocked by...something. You may assume its whatever you like.

Deiser's Avatar


Deiser
02.03.2012 , 06:00 PM | #106
Regarding the topic in question, GL announced that he was planning on "retiring" from big-budget films and focus on indie stuff. As such, he obviously won't be touching anything to do with Star Wars for a while, and thus the rumor is fake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/ma...ails.html?_r=3

Keihryon's Avatar


Keihryon
02.03.2012 , 06:07 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Deiser View Post
Regarding the topic in question, GL announced that he was planning on "retiring" from big-budget films and focus on indie stuff. As such, he obviously won't be touching anything to do with Star Wars for a while, and thus the rumor is fake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/ma...ails.html?_r=3
i'm just waiting for him to make a movie titled Blue Moon Harvest.

kravex's Avatar


kravex
02.03.2012 , 06:11 PM | #108
wait i know this


time travel to start a new alternate timeline story


didnt star trek do this in their last movie

gurugeorge's Avatar


gurugeorge
02.03.2012 , 06:54 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Zag_Stratos View Post
Story... I guess some people are in it only for the story?
Well yes, actually, back in the day when "lightsaber duelling" was two guys boringly standing with their swords up Kendo-style, there was this film called Star Wars that got famous not just for its (almost totally non-digital) fx/action, world design dazzle and pizzazz, but also because it had engaging characters, acted by great actors, and a great script with a good story. The sequel to that, and the sequel to that were also pretty good films (although by the third, Lucas' tendency to be more concerned about what furry toy franchise he could shovel off the back of the film was becoming more apparent).

The prequels look fantastic and have some great set pieces and moments, but the scripts are atrocious, the acting mostly duff (not necessarily the actors' faults - after all, Natalie Portman is normally pretty good in films, but Lucas managed to reduce her almost to woodenness), the only person who looks like he's having fun is Ewan McGregor, but that's more in a fourth-wall-breaking "hey I'm in Star Wars!" kind of sense).

There is just no story there, the films are simply badly done, and the anticipated profundity of how a good man can turn evil is turned into an adolescent having a snitty fit.

Looking at the "making of" it became apparent to me that everyone was so pleased to have the gig that nobody was telling Lucas (as people often told him in the previous films, and he often listened) - "hey George, this isn't going to work, maybe do it like this instead?" None of them would say boo to a mouse, and it was all "Yes Mr Lucas, no Mr Lucas, three bags full Mr Lucas".

So although it's basically Lucas' fault, I partly blame the talented people working with him for not having the balls to stand up to him and speak from authority about their special areas of expertise.

Lucas is undoubtedly a genius, but he seems to be the kind of genius who's extremely effective as part of a team, but who makes rubbish if he has everything his own way.

Oh, and yeah ... midichlorians. I should think more nerds groaned in unison in that moment than at any time in history.

gregordunbar's Avatar


gregordunbar
02.03.2012 , 07:18 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by gurugeorge View Post
Well yes, actually, back in the day when "lightsaber duelling" was two guys boringly standing with their swords up Kendo-style, there was this film called Star Wars that got famous not just for its (almost totally non-digital) fx/action, world design dazzle and pizzazz, but also because it had engaging characters, acted by great actors, and a great script with a good story. The sequel to that, and the sequel to that were also pretty good films (although by the third, Lucas' tendency to be more concerned about what furry toy franchise he could shovel off the back of the film was becoming more apparent).

The prequels look fantastic and have some great set pieces and moments, but the scripts are atrocious, the acting mostly duff (not necessarily the actors' faults - after all, Natalie Portman is normally pretty good in films, but Lucas managed to reduce her almost to woodenness), the only person who looks like he's having fun is Ewan McGregor, but that's more in a fourth-wall-breaking "hey I'm in Star Wars!" kind of sense).

There is just no story there, the films are simply badly done, and the anticipated profundity of how a good man can turn evil is turned into an adolescent having a snitty fit.
On an acting level the actors in the new movie are far better, Lucas is a POOR director. Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Samuel mother efing Jackson...CHRISTOPHER LEE!

Your furry comment shows your lack of knowledge about the scripts, before ESB came out Lucas talked about a little furry race he had to leave out of the first film in an interview and need I remind you about JAWAs.

Scripts are atrocious, Harrison Ford told Lucas during the filming of ESB "Look, you can write this bleed but you cant say it". but im sure I was the only one that cringed during the cheezy one liners and the constant repeat of things like "Delusions of grandeur" or when Luke asked "A certain point of view?" as if he was an inbred redneck with an IQ of 12.

You are just pissed because you found out Vader wasnt the SON OF SATAN and became evil for actual realistic human reasons.