Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chiss as a playable race?

Allfader
12.15.2011 , 07:34 AM | #1
I know the Lore of this game matches Lucas cannon, so I'm curious how the game managed to use the Chiss as a playable race in this game. In the book "Outbound Flight" the Chiss Ascendancy was first discovered in the Outer Regions by accident. Nobody had ever seen or heard of them before this, and this book took place when Anakin was a Padawan. How does the game explain the existence of the race well before that?
Who I am is not important. My message is.
Nathan-hale - 50 Medic Operative
D'uzlina - 25 Hybrid PvP Sorcerer
Mandalore the Indomitable

Cfullard
12.15.2011 , 07:37 AM | #2
You just put in word for word exactly what I asked during the stress test. The answer I was given was this :

A lot of information was lost in between this game and when Outbound Flight happened. The issue is that all of the information was lost on the Chiss and when they found them again that they were all like, "Oh sup, we dont know who you are!"

Here's my problem with this. Are they trying to say that both the Chiss and the Republic AND the Imperials lost ALL information on the Chiss in between when this game happened and when that book was published?

I call B.S. on this.
Mando'ade
"Kaysh mirsh solus."

Utis
12.15.2011 , 08:34 AM | #3
I think we can all agree that Lucas has no problem breaking his own rules.

Mijal
12.15.2011 , 08:34 AM | #4
Well, the Dark Jedi and the Republic managed to forget all about each other in the 1900 years preceding the Great Hyperspace War, and there's almost twice as much time from "now" until Outbound Flight. Also, the Chiss are participating as allies of the Empire--not slaves--and retaining their independence in the Unknown Region, so the greater Chiss society may not have had too many dealings with the Republic/Empire.

The Republic doesn't find all the Empire's secrets, or allies, or even their capital world, as the location of Dromund Kaas will be a secret known only to certain Sith in centuries to come. So while they might have known "Oh, there's these blue people among all the other aliens that work for the Empire" that's different from knowing exactly where they're from or what their society is like.

And the Imperials will go through so many iterations, infighting, destruction, the Rule of Two, etc. between "now" and "then" that they must have lost tons of records.

So it might be a little bit of a stretch, but not impossible, imho.

HyeJinx
12.15.2011 , 09:19 AM | #5
This is something I've been thinking about since the Chiss were announced as well. It's not so much their dealings with the empire that confuses me, but that the Chiss didn't even know what a droid was during Outbound Flight.
Mandalore the Indomitable: Korvac (Scoundrel), Golden (Sage), Saren (Commando) & Morinth (Sentinel)
Rakata Mind Prison: Huntres (Juggernaut), Garruss (Powertech), Thorian (Assassin) & Vykos (Sniper)

Daraco
12.15.2011 , 11:48 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cfullard View Post

Here's my problem with this. Are they trying to say that both the Chiss and the Republic AND the Imperials lost ALL information on the Chiss in between when this game happened and when that book was published?

I call B.S. on this.
Think about this. The history of the human race (written/oral) is about 5000 years. There is still much in our history that we don't know, Such as the Trojan Wars.

Now the time between ToR and Movies is about 3000 years. BUT that isn't the history of a single race. Its the history of an ENTIRE GALACTIC REGION hundred of races, trillions upon trillions of beings.

So when the Chiss go back into seclusion it would make scene that data pertaining to them would get buried by more current information.

Now jump ahead 3000 years, your are a researcher and a blue skin alien race appears. Your job is too look for information through 3000 years of records. How do you know what to look for? How do you even know 3000 years is far enough back? What if the filing system has changed? Did you know the Chiss were working for the empire at the time? How do you know they Wern't allies of the republic? I would think after 3000 years there might be some damage to the records themselves?

Also history is dictated by the victors. How do we know that some historian didn't write the Chiss out of the history books for killing his puppy?

You could easily spend several life times looking through the records without finding anything. So even though the records most likely exist, FINDING them isn't so easy.

DrNotSoGood
12.15.2011 , 01:18 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mijal View Post
Well, the Dark Jedi and the Republic managed to forget all about each other in the 1900 years preceding the Great Hyperspace War, and there's almost twice as much time from "now" until Outbound Flight. Also, the Chiss are participating as allies of the Empire--not slaves--and retaining their independence in the Unknown Region, so the greater Chiss society may not have had too many dealings with the Republic/Empire.

The Republic doesn't find all the Empire's secrets, or allies, or even their capital world, as the location of Dromund Kaas will be a secret known only to certain Sith in centuries to come. So while they might have known "Oh, there's these blue people among all the other aliens that work for the Empire" that's different from knowing exactly where they're from or what their society is like.

And the Imperials will go through so many iterations, infighting, destruction, the Rule of Two, etc. between "now" and "then" that they must have lost tons of records.

So it might be a little bit of a stretch, but not impossible, imho.
Agreed. Before Darth Bane, the dark lords really werent fond of sharing information and the historic archives were in a bad shape of disrepair. And even if Bane saved the information, he was so secretive that if that knowledge wasnt stored away in his holocron then it was probley lost to the sith.

Dedicance
12.15.2011 , 01:35 PM | #8
Things get lost in time, holocrons, sabers and so many other things get lost they might disappear after this war ends...

Like the sith the jedi council didn't knew how to fight this new sith they even didn't believed they were siths at all...
"Translation: He requires proof of good faith. We must make a contribution to his people that shows we are not a threat. Shall I blast him now, master?"

Darth_Urtani
12.15.2011 , 01:47 PM | #9
Uh, who cares?
CE VIP

Darth_Urtani
12.15.2011 , 01:52 PM | #10
Apparently I do because I double posted :/
CE VIP