Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Do I Suck At Flashpoints?

xericfx
02.01.2012 , 06:45 PM | #1
I've done exactly two flashpoints.

In the first one, it was just me & a much higher lvl. guildie running my Jedi Knight through it. Whatever it was called, it seemed to have a bunch of robots everywhere. That run went just fine & I got a Orange Chest armor piece out of it.

The next Flashpoint was one where there were a bunch of hounds to fight. I was playing my Jedi Knight (who is Vigilance spec) & I forgot about my Defend Ability.

We were wiped about 2-3 times. It reminded me why I stopped playing Dungeons in WoW.

There were four of us: me, a Gunslinger a Sentinel & a Sage. Afterword, the Gunslinger Whispered to tell me the others thought I sucked at a Tank. I agree with them. I told them before we did the Flashpoint that I had not done that Flashpoint before.

How can I improve my chances in my next Flashpoint?

Thanks for your help.

E-Argos
02.01.2012 , 07:59 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by xericfx View Post
I've done exactly two flashpoints.

In the first one, it was just me & a much higher lvl. guildie running my Jedi Knight through it. Whatever it was called, it seemed to have a bunch of robots everywhere. That run went just fine & I got a Orange Chest armor piece out of it.

The next Flashpoint was one where there were a bunch of hounds to fight. I was playing my Jedi Knight (who is Vigilance spec) & I forgot about my Defend Ability.

We were wiped about 2-3 times. It reminded me why I stopped playing Dungeons in WoW.

There were four of us: me, a Gunslinger a Sentinel & a Sage. Afterword, the Gunslinger Whispered to tell me the others thought I sucked at a Tank. I agree with them. I told them before we did the Flashpoint that I had not done that Flashpoint before.

How can I improve my chances in my next Flashpoint?

Thanks for your help.
Well, for starters, don't tank in Vigilance spec! It's not a tanking spec, it's a DPS spec.

Honestly, at lower levels especially, Guardians are not fantastic tanks, and you'll usually have issues with groups of multiple mobs. I assume the FP you mention with a bunch of hounds is Athiss, which would put you in the ~20-25ish range. This makes things tough.

First off, spec for Defense if you're going to play as a tank in Flashpoints. If you want to play Vigilance, that's fine, but plan on playing DPS and offtanking. Before a fight, make sure you're in Soresu Form for the defensive bonus, and make sure you have a member of your party Shielded, most likely the healer, but if you have a heavier healer like a Commando, you may want to Shield a lighter DPS. Whomever is taking the most hard hits needs your protection.

As far as actual strategy goes, start out a fight against a group of mobs by Force Leaping onto one, hitting him with another ability (preferably a free Blade Storm from the Momentum talent), target a new mob and hit the taunt button, and use Force Sweep to hit all nearby enemies at once. This should give you some solid threat on two enemies, as well as a little bit on the rest of the group.

At this level, it's not a huge deal if one or two enemies go after the other members of your party, but try to focus attacks on any mobs that aren't focused on you. It helps to make sure your party is all focusing on one enemy, so they aren't gaining threat on all the others. This is especially important in these lower levels, before you have an AoE taunt ability and abilities like Cyclone Slash, which gives you an AoE cleave without the cooldown of Force Sweep.

Also, remember your cooldowns! You've got Warding Call by level 20 as a Defense Guardian, which reduces the damage you take by more than 30%, and you have Blade Ward, which reduces damage by (I believe) a flat 25% as well as increasing your defensive stats, and they're usable every 3 minutes, so don't be afraid to use them even if it means waiting a minute before engaging a boss.
Thoughts on Guardian armor? Cast your vote and state your case now in the
Jedi Guardian Armor Poll!
Over 2000 people have voted! The community has spoken, and 70% dig the new look.
How about you?

RogueStrife
02.01.2012 , 08:03 PM | #3
You are not the only one. I'm a Vanguard, shield spec. We tried Hammer Station when I was L19 and I was killed twice. Wiped once.

I should really get better gear but I don't know how to.
He did not choose his face. It's his face that chose him.
-Satele Shan's comment on Darth Malgus' face.

Scyphon_
02.01.2012 , 09:01 PM | #4
^Grab gear from gtn , you might get lucky and find some moddable purple gear, if you cant find orange. And just get you mods up to lvl every lvl or 2 with the comms you earn. Gear makes all the difference in the world.

Also use stims, I have biochem on my lvl 20 sniper and im stimmed every heroic, fp ive done.

As for my Assassin lvl42, Im up to lvl with mods, gear and I use relics and stims to keep me on point.

xericfx
02.02.2012 , 01:46 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Scyphon_ View Post
^Grab gear from gtn , you might get lucky and find some moddable purple gear, if you cant find orange. And just get you mods up to lvl every lvl or 2 with the comms you earn. Gear makes all the difference in the world.

Also use stims, I have biochem on my lvl 20 sniper and im stimmed every heroic, fp ive done.

As for my Assassin lvl42, Im up to lvl with mods, gear and I use relics and stims to keep me on point.
My gear sucks. I'm trying to get all Orange gear.

Currently, I have Orange: Helmet, Chestpiece & Boots. And my Mods on them are up to date.

I'm trying to grab as many Commendations as I can, to spend them on current Mods.

auroness
02.02.2012 , 02:02 AM | #6
Honestly, the only thing that is keeping you from being good at flashpoints is - practice!

Read a guide on tanking or two, grab some alts or friends from your guild and try it... you will get better with time!
Sadly, everyone assumes that you have to be a very experienced tank with tank specc on lvl 20 with perfect movement and situational awareness - so that the dmg dealers can hack and slay through!

IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

You want tanks? give them the time to learn - and by the way: you do -not- have to be tank specced to tank flashpoints below lvl 30 or so! you do not have any different abilities, anyways! just switch into your defensive form and everything is fine!
(btw: as you do not have so many abilities, its actually EASIER to tank as a dps specced guy, as you do more dmg leading to more aggro!)
Make dmg dealers CC some mobs, and make it clear to them, which mob should die first.. flame them, if it doesn't - the healer has to heal, you have to tank... and they have to deal dmg in an organized way!

That being said... not everyone likes tanking. so, if tanking does not make you feel great - try running flash points as a dmg dealer. Ask about what targets should go first, how boss mechanics work, and so on - usually, questions dont hurt, they just show that you want to do your job :-)

Erevan_Kindelar
02.02.2012 , 02:11 AM | #7
First point - know the limitations of your class and the skill trees that you have specced into (i.e. Get to know what your class can do well, what it does badly, and what you need to do). A Vengence-specced Guardian can tank, sort of, but you are missing most of the tools a tank will need. If the group is expecting you to be the tank and you do not tell them you are Vengence instead of Defence specced, you will not be effective and they will have unrealistic expectations.

Broadly speaking, the DPS classes are easy because you just spam attacks without concern for much else. A bad DPS usually means that things die more slowly. The tank and healer are a different proposition - if either is bad, the group will probably wipe a lot. As the tank, your primary role is to keep the healer alive while occupying as much of the aggro as possible. Given the way aggro mechanics work in SWTOR, you will struggle at times to keep mobs focussed on you instead of the DPS, but you do need to know how to pull aggro off other people, particularly the healer.

So either tell people that you are not specced for a tank, and play as a Vengence DPS, or respec into Defence and learn the arcane science of tanking

If you want to run as a tank, my suggestion would be to join a guild which is raiding those standard Flashpoints on a regular basis, and where the group leaders have some knowledge of the way the groups work and who are willing to work with you to improve your skills.

Running through FPs with your higher level friend helps to gear you up, but there is no challenge so you do not learn how to either maximise your class or handle the FP. So in the long run, he is not really helping.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

sanctified
02.02.2012 , 02:18 AM | #8
You know what happened the very first time I tried tanking an instance in 2007?

I failed badly and wiped the group. Again, and again, and again.

You know how I got good at it? I read up on it and practiced. Tanking isn't hard. It can be made harder by not knowing how to use your character, or having a difficult party that won't listen to you, but tanking -itself- is cake. Nothing to it. Just keep in there. Everybody wipes their first time. Everybody.

Rivad
02.02.2012 , 02:42 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by xericfx View Post
My gear sucks. I'm trying to get all Orange gear.

Currently, I have Orange: Helmet, Chestpiece & Boots. And my Mods on them are up to date.

I'm trying to grab as many Commendations as I can, to spend them on current Mods.
The easiest way to get orange gear is flashpoints (ironic).

I had trouble in flashpoints at lower levels as sith juggernaut (same as jedi guardian) because I lacked the ability to taunt properly. That changed once I got an aoe taunt.

I would say about 70% of successfull tanking is buffing up on player-made stims (which are superior to anything you can buy from npcs or loot at a similar level) and maintaining your gear. The gear has to be current. As high quality as possible. Again, the irony is that better gear drops in flashpoints. But better mods are made by players.

The rest is staying in sight of a medic, maintaining aggro and reasonable skill rotation.

Preedy
02.02.2012 , 03:43 AM | #10
I'd have to say if you're new to the game, or MMO's in general, choosing to be a tank is possibly the largest source of pain to yourself you could possibly deal to yourself.

Tanks are likely the key to the whole situation you face yourself in - fighting off superior numbers (or boss) to keep the attention away from the other, squishier elements of your group. You're not there to do massive amounts of damage, you're there to keep the enemy occupied on you. This is harder than it sounds.

I'd suggest you put your tank to the side for a little while, and try a DPS character. Don't quit the tank entirely... just play DPS until you're more comfortable with the game and learn all of the little quirks and tricks.

I started off by playing a Gunslinger, pure DPS. Merely because I didn't know really how MMO's work, and because I figured a bad tank is surely going to get the rest of the group wiped. So I learned a little with him, and then I chose a new character, a Jedi Sentinel, and only then did I choose to make a healer (sage). My next character, once I've finished the story with those two Jedi, will be a Vanguard, tank spec. Hopefully by this time, I'll have three other characters to help support this tank with credits and gear, so he's always up to spec, and also I'd have learned a lot more about the game and what to do and when to do it. Not saying I'll be perfect, but at least by then, I'll have a chance atbeing at least a "decent" tank.

I'd give yourself an easier time of it and roll up a DPS character and have some fun and less hassle. Worry about being a tank when you're used to everything and ready for what the game can throw at you