Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting Profession Changes in patch 1.1.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting Profession Changes in patch 1.1.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Crimsane
02.01.2012 , 10:13 PM | #61
Bah. You're not going to make anyone drop bio by nerfing it repeatedly, it's still the only profession that's worth having (after you crafted whatever gear you wanted to craft for yourself) due to consumables. That is a longevity none of the other crew skills have. Sure, you can keep x profession to sell y good for profit, but for usefulness outside the cash flow area, bio trumps all and always will as long as that is true. (It could even be argued that due to reusables & with more upcoming sellable items bio may trump all in profit over time, too.)

Hey, you gave x profession the ability to make armor that's actually decent? I'll pick it up, craft a set and go back to bio. etc. Actually, if you make the aforementioned armor tradeable, I'll just buy a set and stay bio.

Tourne
02.01.2012 , 10:17 PM | #62
...nerf the pvp gear- that's one sure ticket way to lose this customer.

I already had to reset crafting professions that had been 400 due to waiting a month for some word...a tad too late on my part but that is something better for the future.

The pve>pvp gear though...no way- giving into raiders who swear that they are hardcore pvp'ers is the worst thing to do.

Kittypryde
02.01.2012 , 10:28 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Cylestat View Post
I'd love to hear what your planning on doing to help balance PVP, make Ilum playable, combat log, and dual speccing. Need these addressed.
I support Same Gender Romance Arcs in The Old Republic

Spymaster
02.01.2012 , 10:30 PM | #64
Changes sound great to me!

The appearance system is broken as the game stands. We need way more control over the way our characters look.

GraunKrynn
02.01.2012 , 10:35 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by deserttfoxx View Post
Please tell me why biochem is the only profession you guys are looking into. Seriously, every other profession is so godawful you would be a completely numbskull to choose it over biochem, yet you guys keep tweaking only biochem.

Armormech, synthweaving, armstech are a complete waste of time due to the fact that nothing you get is unique, every recipe you get can get gained as a full drop by doing hard modes or raids, you guys have put little to know effort into the crafting system. This change to remove the armoring from epics AFFECTS CRAFTING IN NO WAY!

Seriously, how is that even put into the profession changes. There are so many problems with crafting. You guys need to dig deeper and try harder.
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
Hi,
On a more general note about crafting, our changes to make BioChem consumables freely tradeable are just a small first step as part of a larger scale effort to extend our crafting gameplay, for all professions, into the endgame.

Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.

If you read that again he gives some information that they're working on several other factors regarding crafting. Currently though the "balancing" of Biochem seems to be the key but there are other things to change too. Biochem is just the current hot button profession much like slicing before so that's why there is emphasis on that. He never said that's the only profession change. Quite the opposite. He said there are several but didn't list all of them. He just gave a few examples.

athx
02.01.2012 , 10:36 PM | #66
Wait why arent the resuable hyper-battle stims being changed as well? You would still need 380 biochem which is rather pointless since in 20 more points you can use rakata.

JuJu
02.01.2012 , 10:39 PM | #67
"It is our intention to gradually, over multiple patches, reduce the impact of situational consumables on endgame combat resolution and shift the factors which determine the outcome of combat more towards personal skill. As part of this effort, specifically for PvP, we are also working on changes that will reduce the gear related power difference between new characters at level 50 and players in full PvP gear. We feel that at the current time, this difference is too high."

You have two crafting skills that are entirely based on situation consumables. The only way to accomplish your stated desired effect is to completly remove them from use in combat. Any effect these items have on combat will remain the "go to" until they are either phased out or replaced with something more powerful.

Same thing goes with your approach to pvp gear. As long as it remains in game fully pvp geared players with have a systematic advantage over players without said gear. Will class utility and roles be reviewed along with these changes?
JuJu VooDoo
Ater Imperium Sign up

Roezz
02.01.2012 , 10:43 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

As part of this effort, specifically for PvP, we are also working on changes that will reduce the gear related power difference between new characters at level 50 and players in full PvP gear. We feel that at the current time, this difference is too high.

It's my understanding the main purpose of expertise is to make it so people are not forced into PvE to play PvP. It separates out the two different aspects of the game.

A problem where PvP gear didn't have specific benefits over PvE gear has existed in other games, and can force people who PvP to PvE to get those items. There are already people using trinkets, some PvE gear to hit harder in PvP with the trade off of losing survivability. If PvP gear were to simply become less relevant, it opens up this potential gearing issue further.

I recommend allowing cheap crafted PvP gear which is close but not on par with the current Champion PvP gear. This will not only serve to foster a player driven economy, it will reduce the gap between Battlemaster gear and a new level 50, as well as not make Rakata (or other) top end PvE gear to powerful in PvP.

fungihoujo
02.01.2012 , 10:45 PM | #69
Well, this actually seems pretty promising.

Roezz
02.01.2012 , 10:55 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by GraunKrynn View Post
If you read that again he gives some information that they're working on several other factors regarding crafting. Currently though the "balancing" of Biochem seems to be the key but there are other things to change too. Biochem is just the current hot button profession much like slicing before so that's why there is emphasis on that. He never said that's the only profession change. Quite the opposite. He said there are several but didn't list all of them. He just gave a few examples.
I agree. Just like in any game, if one profession has a specific advantage over another, people will flock to the profession with the advantage.

The only way to allow BioChem to give benefits greater than those without the profession can get, without giving biochem a specific advantage, is to make the other professions have advantages that bring them up to par. This current fix is an easier short term solution.

There were posts on BioChem back in September beta specifically stating this problem existed (details exactly escape me but I know it's why I took biochem at launch). It's a shame it made it to live with such a huge advantage, because now it creates the sense people are "losing" something, even though the change is appropriate.