Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting Profession Changes in patch 1.1.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting Profession Changes in patch 1.1.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

FrostyDroid
02.02.2012 , 02:48 AM | #141
It would be nice if they still taught comprehension in schools:

Quote: Originally Posted by Tony_K View Post
Biggest problem I'm having is with crafting.. it's great when leveling but as soon as you hit 50 it's useless.

For example..
Make a lot of crafted blue and level 50 items. (why so many lvl 49 ?)
You reverse engineer it 20 or more times to get a purple version. (anoying but I'm ok with it)
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post
* better reverse engineering chance
Quote:
Then you make purple level 50 items, material cost is insane because it takes so long to run missions (underworld metal)
* acquisition cost of purple mission materials on our live servers
Quote:
Then you try to reverse engiener those.. and if your lucky you get another purple ? (***!)
This is just wrong.. all that work and the only thing you get is a +20/+40 random stat.. no armor or anything special.
AND IT STILL SUCKS COMPARED TO PVP AND FLASHPOINT GEAR
Even ignoring the fact that you have failed to understand that +20/+40 on a stat is FAR better than an increased armour rating:

* extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items
* critical crafting successes on orange outfits
* increased relevance of augments
Maybe this needs some explanation. You will be able to extract ALL the mods from the best endgame gear and transfer them into a crafted orange item, so that it has the exact same stats. HOWEVER, if your orange item was critically crafted, you can also add an (improved) Augment, making the crafted item BETTER than the best raid gear.

The main potential drawback I see from this is that critically crafted orange items become required for min/max. Thus, endgame cosmetics are lost.
It's incredible because it is not true.
As for expectations, we've always said that are not making another Star Wars sandbox, we are creating a different game.
I quote Zoeller now. Zoeller quotes are cool.

Drebble
02.02.2012 , 02:49 AM | #142
Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.Georg
First of all, thank you for all these changes. I was about to give up hope, but this shows that you are working on the issues that exist. I have one input to the above red highlight:

We will have to craft a large number of orange gear to get these crits, please let us reverse engineer orange gear to recover some resources. Orange gear without an augment slot will be very difficult to sell.

Luxora
02.02.2012 , 02:50 AM | #143
I think Bioware is missing the point regarding Biochem. You see people flocking en masse to Biochem, think it's OP and nerf the Rakata stuff. The reality is that even though you have nerfed it into equivalent power with Energized/Exotech stuff, I'd still never consider dropping Biochem for another profession, one quick glance is all I need to know that they're not even worth it.

Free stims/medpack that I never need to keep crafting and can rebuff myself whenever I want? Yes please, I use that stuff so frequently I can't envision having a limited quantity.

Craft myself some epics when I'm already decked out in Columi or Champion gear that I can't mod (and wouldn't want to, since the mods in it are far superior)? No thanks. There's no comparison.

And that is what Bioware should be looking at. Why do players show a disinterest in the other crafting professions? It's not because Biochem offers "so much more" power... It's because it's the only one that does.

The solution was not to further nerf Biochem, but to improve the other crafting professions and give them some kind of gimmick/gadget/stuff that can be used to increase your combat effectiveness. People like that sort of thing. If you want to craft things, it's going to be on a crafter alt, your main gets the good professions that have useful combat-related stuff. You'd think you would've known this, since WoW (much as I loathe it) already did it in the form of things like letting Blacksmiths put extra sockets in their gear, Engineering gadgets, Leatherworking embossing, and so forth. This means all professions are useful in combat in different ways, making players decide which is the most useful to them and their role in the game. It's a more tactical decision, but all of them offer a surprisingly equal stat bonus.

Players can already get gear through so many other avenues, and that epic gear naturally has mods in it. Currently we can't replace the Armoring in those epics (but that sounds like it'll be changing in the next major content patch, which while awesome will further compound this issue)... but the big problem is that players can't create BETTER mods.

So for example, when I was a new 50 and didn't have any good PvE or PvP leggings, I took a duplicate Champion chest token and ripped out the epic (56) Mod and Enhancement, bought a Belsavis Daily Commendation epic Armoring off the vendor for an easy 8 commendations, and put all that in some orange legs. It was better than Tionese, and only lacking in the Expertise found on Champions -- and it was better than anything a player could craft for me, so I never bothered to go seek someone out to pay them to craft something for me. And that right there is the problem, Bioware.

Other than making a little money selling stuff on the GTN (and I think it's a no-brainer that while money is nice, credits have nothing over a boost in combat effectiveness), people don't really want much of what those crafting professions produce, therefore people have a poor opinion of them and don't take those professions as often on their primary characters and don't recommend them to guildmates. Therefore all that's left is "How is this profession useful at endgame, then?" And the professions other than Biochem (and Cybertech for the grenades, despite the ridiculous 5min cooldown)... are simply not useful.
Yasra, Level 51 Sith Marauder [Begeren Colony]

Haralin
02.02.2012 , 02:53 AM | #144
So and when makes armstech sense?

We dont even get pattern in FP or OP.

BambulaGTS
02.02.2012 , 02:56 AM | #145
I feel strange.

Even before early access start I decided to pick slicing and biochem.

Slicing - nerfed.

Biochem - nerfed 2 times already.

Then I spend time on warzones to get BM with sniper lol class.

They introduce Ilum lol patch - viola there come War Heroes in greens, who get their valor level by botting near rep base and clicking class buff on macroes (of course that hobo nabs get demolished in warzones).

Man, is there any incentive to put efforts in something in this game, cause tomorrow it will be nerfed to the ground or made no difference?

FrostyDroid
02.02.2012 , 02:57 AM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Haralin View Post
So and when makes armstech sense?
Critically crafted orange items are required for min/max...
As for expectations, we've always said that are not making another Star Wars sandbox, we are creating a different game.

dynastynyy
02.02.2012 , 02:57 AM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by Soulcheg View Post
And i don't like biochem's change. Slicing already is almost useless, let's make biochem same! Why you nerfing rakata's items step by step? What's point in 400 biochem now?
slicing almost useless? are you and me playing the same game? I'm pulling in a ridiculous number of crafting missions from every 5x run of slicing missions i send out. In the past 24 hours ive shot my balance up from 36k to 1m...what are you doing?

FrostyDroid
02.02.2012 , 02:58 AM | #148
Quote:
Man, is there any incentive to put efforts in something in this game, cause tomorrow it will be nerfed to the ground or made no difference?

Welcome to MMOs.

The rule of MMOs: never pick something that looks good, because it will be nerfed, always pick something that looks bad, because it will be buffed.

buddhawhore
02.02.2012 , 02:59 AM | #149
slicing is SOOO irrelevant to this topic, Slicing was Nerfed yes, but its useless at lvl 50, Unless its on a Alt or Leveling.

FrostyDroid
02.02.2012 , 03:00 AM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by dynastynyy View Post
slicing almost useless? are you and me playing the same game? I'm pulling in a ridiculous number of crafting missions from every 5x run of slicing missions i send out. In the past 24 hours ive shot my balance up from 36k to 1m...what are you doing?
This, plus:

Quote:
* increased relevance of augments
Augments are going to be required to max out endgame gear.