Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

ptwonline
02.01.2012 , 05:12 PM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by Umbral View Post
I know eh? It's always pretty scary when you see so many people so blind they can't read properly.
From the article:

"Star Wars(R): The Old Republic(TM) has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

If the numbers were Dec 31st then the "a little over one month" part would make no sense at all since the game would have only been up and running for about 2 weeks.

However, if he's talking about the state of things as oftoday, then "a little over one month" does indeed make sense.

Jimer_Lins
02.01.2012 , 05:12 PM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
Tor was launched on the 20th december.

The 30 days free month thus ended....10 days ago.

Unless EA have way, way, way better accountants than anyone else, I strongly doubt that this report, for logical reasons, was made only 10 days ago.
The Q3 earnings report has numbers as of December 31st. The numbers being discussed were from their live conference call, which may still be going on (I signed off about 20 minutes ago) and as has been noted, were discussing current numbers, as part of their discussion of how well SWTOR was doing and how it had driven the Q3 numbers and would (in theory) help drive the Q4 ones.
Jimer Lins, Juyo Server

Be sure to tune in to my LIVE weekly two-hour SWTOR talk show, Live From the Nar Shaddaa Lounge, every Tuesday night at 7 PM Pacific!

darthdoll
02.01.2012 , 05:13 PM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by samht View Post
I agree the sub numbers are from dec 31st and not from today. it says on the chart that the quater ended in 12/21/11. I would guess by the 25th of this month swtor will be at probably 500K subs. Which is a great number for any mmo. WoW wanted to hit 100K when they released the game for the first year.
Wrong.

It already has more subs.

From the call:

Q: Are these 1.7 subscribers paying?
A: Active subscribers means anyone paying OR in their trial period. MOST of those 1.7m are paying at this point

Most of those are paying, so your saying TOR will drop 1.2m subs for your estimate?

Darka
02.01.2012 , 05:13 PM | #514
When other games announce stats everyone agrees and says that sounds right
When TOR announces stats, accusations of bribes, Lies and people being paid off

I love you TORchan
THE DEFENDER PROGRAM - Gaming Community Est 2006
Information
Owner of the Hat'o'Awesome

Blotter
02.01.2012 , 05:13 PM | #515
You can be sued if you LIE to them, not if you present numbers in favorable light.
Saying you CURRENTLY have 1.7M active subscriptions in a report released on February 1, 2012 is a LIE any way you slice it if the number you give is actually from DEcember 31, 2011. What's hard to understand about that? This report was released TODAY, not on December 31, 2011...it takes them a whle to work up the numbers and language for releasing the quarterly reports, which by the way, always contain some statement about the RIGHT NOW of the company's product and health and some statement about predictions going forward.
Captain Bubblevendor Targetdummy reporting for doody.

Angedechu
02.01.2012 , 05:13 PM | #516
Okay, let me check this up

You really think that the CEO of EA called Bioware and asked at 9:00am today a figure of the active subs ? Because that's what you seem to think about the ''today'' figure.

jdnyc
02.01.2012 , 05:13 PM | #517
What is harmful is stating that TOR sold 2 millions copies and got 1.7 million accounts activated ?
Depends on what you think they're lying about. If they are saying 1.7 million accounts activated and the first month isn't 1.7 million accounts of revenue, then that could be a case of misrepresentation.

jdnyc
02.01.2012 , 05:14 PM | #518
Okay, let me check this up

You really think that the CEO of EA called Bioware and asked at 9:00am today a figure of the active subs ? Because that's what you seem to think about the ''today'' figure.
I think the CEO of EA already knew about it. Generally calls is more for investors.

Nemmar
02.01.2012 , 05:14 PM | #519
Quote: Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
From the article:

"Star Wars(R): The Old Republic(TM) has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

If the numbers were Dec 31st then the "a little over one month" part would make no sense at all since the game would have only been up and running for about 2 weeks.

However, if he's talking about the state of things as oftoday, then "a little over one month" does indeed make sense.
Hehe... im enjoying their desperation though.

ZOMG, we were dumb when we predicted doom and gloom for the game! Quick! Make something up!

Angedechu
02.01.2012 , 05:15 PM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Blotter View Post
Saying you CURRENTLY have 1.7M active subscriptions in a report released on February 1, 2012 is a LIE any way you slice it if the number you give is actually from DEcember 31, 2011. What's hard to understand about that? This report was released TODAY, not on December 31, 2011...it takes them a whle to work up the numbers and language for releasing the quarterly reports, which by the way, always contain some statement about the RIGHT NOW of the company's product and health and some statement about predictions going forward.
I'm pretty sure that it's pefectly legal to present to your investors data old from 2 weeks.