Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

nomaar's Avatar


nomaar
02.01.2012 , 03:50 PM | #111
"Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing
a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers
and growing,” said Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello.


That's straight from the EA press release. He said it's "growing." If you think he's lying, you should call the Securities and Exchange Commission, because that would be a criminal offense and he would be put in jail for lying to investors.

EDIT:

The conference call is in a few minutes. It's public and you can listen in for yourself if you're in disbelief:

Listeners may access the conference call live through
the following dial-in number: 773-799-3213 (domestic) or 888-677-1083
(international), using the password “EA” or via webcast at http://ir.ea.com.

gtmach's Avatar


gtmach
02.01.2012 , 03:50 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by ShonaChaos View Post
yes! because their bonuses depend on it.
what do you work the till at arby's and have never seen big business operate before?
I don't think you've seen them operate before....

Mekrath's Avatar


Mekrath
02.01.2012 , 03:50 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by mobow View Post
yum pretty close to 100% retention would be 1.95 out of 2 million. In fact 1.7 out of 2 million is closer to 85% retention.
I'll say it a 3rd time. Not everyone who buys a box registers a code the same day. A significant number of the 2 million sales have not registered a key yet.

chakkar's Avatar


chakkar
02.01.2012 , 03:51 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Poisonsenvy View Post
lol you honestly believe a multi million dollar company won't falsify financial reports to investors in order for them to invest more money. Are you serious?
you know, they can't falsify financial reports. IT IS ILLEGAL.
Quote: Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
No, this is the greatest thread of all time for the greatest game of all time.
Merry Christmas<(0_o> Long live the Empire! And, more importantly you Master

Vengeful_Deity's Avatar


Vengeful_Deity
02.01.2012 , 03:51 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by seallone View Post
Yearly overall population graph for SW:TOR servers, How you get 2 mill, ?

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

Just under 300,000. or

300,000 mill. ? What ?

Not being Rude but please explain.
From MMO Junkie's FAQ on those graphs.

Code:
How does it interpret the data?
swtor.com server-status page marks all servers in a grade of 6 status flags;
•Offline

•Light

•Standard

•Heavy

•Veary Heavy

•Full
We still don't know if Bioware marks flag-limits homogeneous, but it's still a good guess to assume them to be so. So we basically valuate these flags as;
•Offline - 0

•Light - 1

•Standard - 2

•Heavy - 3

•Veary Heavy - 4

•Full - 5
What does the graphs & numbers mean?
As our data source, server-status page basically flags servers instantaneous population, the generated graphs also represent instantaneous population changes.

Can I make guesses on overall subscription count based on these graphs?
No you shouldn't be relying on them to make so guesses. These graph purely relies on instantaneous server population values provided by Bioware, nothing more.
Herp de derp.

CupieFoxtail's Avatar


CupieFoxtail
02.01.2012 , 03:51 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by ShonaChaos View Post
yes! because their bonuses depend on it.
The fact, the very fact that anyone could possibly believe that a legitimate company could lie to its stockholders and still be in business for 30 years is MIND BLOWING.
is a gunslinger

Catch_TwentyTwo's Avatar


Catch_TwentyTwo
02.01.2012 , 03:51 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by ShonaChaos View Post
It's funny how some people believe these numbers to be true.
A company can get numbers to look however they want to by adjusting the parameters of measurement.
The company I work for makes up numbers all the time to make things look good. The shareholders only want to see what looks good on paper, whether it's the truth or not.

Some people just have no idea how businesses these days operate.
I operate in a business that has to rpeort figures like this to the city and I can tell you, as a matter of fact, that any company that reports false figures is libel to major criminal proceedings against the directors and other highup. EA ois just too big to risk a lie of that magnitude..


Quote: Originally Posted by ShonaChaos View Post
Anyone who thinks this game held at least 85% of subscribers is nuts.
Do a quick test for those of you who are in large guilds.

What percentage of people are still playing in your guild. If the number is over 25% I'd be shocked.
Of the 30 of us that came across from SWG, I can say hand on heart that only 2 have left. One because they didn't like the game and 1 due to personal life issues, who may or may not come back...

So that kind of kicks your 25% figure out of the park.
CATCH TwentyTwo

SW:TOR FORUM REVIEW PLAYLISTLATEST VIDEO
(Be original: Post a comment about how fat I am, or my lisp, but keep it civil...)

Nytak's Avatar


Nytak
02.01.2012 , 03:51 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by ShonaChaos View Post
yes! because their bonuses depend on it.
what do you work the till at arby's and have never seen big business operate before?
ROFL.. I think I can actually see this guy sitting at his computer crying into his hands exclaiming "NO, It's not true!! It's impossible!!"....

Solid figures are solid.
Decemberite
You work hard so we don't have to

zrinking's Avatar


zrinking
02.01.2012 , 03:51 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Nomarker View Post


World of Warcraft Surpasses One Million Customer Milestone in North America 8-29-2005
http://web.archive.org/web/200510290...0829-wow.shtml


WOW 10 months to reach 1 million.
EverQuest ....9 years, EQ2...launch and 1 year
SWG .... launch and 2 years, WOW ... launch and 4 months, Conan ... 1 week, Warhammer ... 2 weeks
Lotro.. launch and 5 years, Rift ....launch and 3 months

Ganix_tx's Avatar


Ganix_tx
02.01.2012 , 03:52 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Scar View Post
That's not true.

Rift had 1 million "accounts" the first month (which TOR had 2 million prior to even the early access).

Rift didn't hit 1 million subs until a few months later in August after a March release.
LOL, its all the same. RIFT has tanked and is not even a year old yet. Was released in March 2011.

As I have said in another thread, summer will be the real test. If they can keep subs through the summer when people are not usually inside on their PC... then you can call it a success.

And for the people saying that the game has already broke even profit wise need a dose of reality on the cost of keeping a game like this running.