Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reason why you get low FPS with a decent card. FPS increase fix inside!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Reason why you get low FPS with a decent card. FPS increase fix inside!

AndantePhist
02.01.2012 , 01:59 PM | #1
I found this fix from the german forums.

We know that SWTOR uses directx 9, and apparently a majority of gamers do not have their directx 9 drivers updated to the latest version!

This makes sense, I can't recall the last time I played a directx 9 game, and I never recall SWTOR coming with a directx 9 update, and the theory I gathered from the german forums is that directx 10/11 is able to emulate directx 9, but it requires a lot of extra power thus causing the super low framerates on even the most top of the line cards.

here is the link to the last directx 9 update published by microsoft. Don't worry, this does not override your directx 10/11 files. Directx 9, 10, 11 are all separate and this simply install/updates your version of directx 9.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...n.aspx?id=8109

(DO NOT extract the files into desktop, extract it into a new folder... trust you do not want to extract it to desktop, after extracting open DXSETUP to install)

I personally got a 10-20 fps boost in all areas including WZs.

Let me know if this fix works for you guys.

EDIT: Please post what graphics card, cpu, and ram you are using. Also let us know if you see a framerate increase or not from installing the new directx 9.0c drivers. So far this seems to work for 9600GT users. I'm using a HD6850, 8 gigs of ram, quad core 2.66 and it worked for me.

EDIT: Also I have shadows, bloom, v-sync and Anti-Aliasing turned OFF. Everything else is on high.

Cygnusxo
02.01.2012 , 02:03 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AndantePhist View Post
I found this fix from the german forums.

We know that SWTOR uses directx 9, and apparently a majority of gamers do not have their directx 9 drivers updated to the latest version!

This makes sense, I can't recall the last time I played a directx 9 game, and I never recall SWTOR coming with a directx 9 update, and the theory I gathered from the german forums is that directx 10/11 is able to emulate directx 9, but it requires a lot of extra power thus causing the super low framerates on even the most top of the line cards.

here is the link to the last directx 9 update published by microsoft. Don't worry, this does not override your directx 10/11 files. Directx 9, 10, 11 are all separate and this simply install/updates your version of directx 9.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...n.aspx?id=8109

(DO NOT extract the files into desktop, extract it into a new folder... trust you do not want to extract it to desktop, after extracting open DXSETUP to install)

I personally got a 10-20 fps boost in all areas including WZs.

Let me know if this fix works for you guys.
Yeah

i did this too on my bootcamp macbook pro. I dont have a top card in it (nvidia 9600GT) but i did go from 21-22 fps to 30 fps. So, yes it helped me on the FPS.

AndantePhist
02.01.2012 , 02:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Cygnusxo View Post
Yeah

i did this too on my bootcamp macbook pro. I dont have a top card in it (nvidia 9600GT) but i did go from 21-22 fps to 30 fps. So, yes it helped me on the FPS.
Really?... i didn't know macs had graphics cards...jk, glad it worked for you

FourTwent
02.01.2012 , 02:15 PM | #4
testing now

sadly i feel the trolls will soon come and swarm this thread saying it didn't fix a thing. But i will post my results later

Orisai
02.01.2012 , 03:02 PM | #5
Testing on a GTX560 right now. Will be back to post results soon.
LEGION ORISAI DYNAMICS

Latin American Imperial PvE Guild

Spartanik
02.01.2012 , 03:05 PM | #6
thanks man it did improve a bit.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

Harabek
02.01.2012 , 03:10 PM | #7
It boosted my FPS in Ilum from 5 to 25ish

Doesn't make Ilum anymore fun tho, still a broken concept. But since i installed 9.0c its at least no longer round-based
Fun-o-meter ████████████████████████████████

C-Bee
02.01.2012 , 03:20 PM | #8
Have tested with GTX 560 Ti and noticed no difference outside the margin of error...

and sorry if my test report is viewed as trolling, just becose it goess against someones wishfull thinking.

Might be also worth noting that DX10/11 doesnt 'emulate' anything. Relevant DX9 libraries are part of newer DX redistributables and are used when called just like any other .dll in your PC.

Not gonna go into the discussion about having multiple versions of same .dll in your system since game studios usually deliver the correct version if needed.
Laugh it up, Fuzzball...

Dunzo
02.01.2012 , 03:22 PM | #9
Anyone who understands computers knows to update drivers (including Dx) before officially criticizing the performance. I am up to date and Balmorra runs like a snail, when it was running fine a month ago :\

Sir_Knight
02.01.2012 , 03:41 PM | #10
Has anyone else seen a boost?
(██████████████████████████████████████████]:|█[o]█[|||████]|█|