Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

sniper or sorc, for FP's and Ops?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
sniper or sorc, for FP's and Ops?

seperated
02.01.2012 , 11:23 AM | #1
I have a merc that I just recently started doing ops with, and to be completely honest... i found it a bit boring. I've played (raided) in wow a Warlock for almost 6 years, also a hunter and a moonkin.

My true question is how much trouble is a sniper going to have in boss fights when your going to need to move a lot... considering the cover mechanic, VS. the amount a sorc would bring to the fight.

There are quite a lot of sorcs out there, and fewer snipers, which leans me more to the sniper aspect of it, but with the amount of movement i saw, it worries me having to pop in and out of cover constantly, loosing an extra GCD.
-:- Seperated -:-
-|- Founder -|-
Vigilant Addiction

Salyn
02.01.2012 , 12:52 PM | #2
I raid with my lvl 50 sniper and I love it. Most will immediately tell you not to go with sniper because 'cover is broken/stupid/bugged'. While there are some issues with the cover mechanic, with practice you get used to the pros/cons of the cover mechanic and learn how to 'set up your shot'. Even on OP encounters that often require alot of moving around (ie. Soa in HM EV), I find I don't have to move that much. The sniper has the benefit of being able to stand off 30-35 meters from target and just rain damage. I think alot comes down to your preference for play style. The sniper will not win any 'flare' points, we don't run around, we don't leap into the fray, we don't have flashy moves. We basically plant our asses in one spot and unload.

GeoLager
02.01.2012 , 01:25 PM | #3
Sniper.

Why?

Because chances are you'll already have a sorc/assassin in group and no other sniper/operative.

Therefore you'll have the buff that the group cannot get otherwise in 5% crit.

il-jumper
02.01.2012 , 02:13 PM | #4
if you played merc you will never want to go sniper.

Achromatis
02.01.2012 , 04:10 PM | #5
I think cover is off the GCD, but from what Ive read and seen Mercs(Arsenal) tend to play similarly to Snipers(Marks).

But theres already tons of Sorcs out there. I would suggest at least trying out a Sniper to see if you like it or not.
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data