Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

Arutassin
02.01.2012 , 10:35 AM | #21
Edited as CBA with SWTOR any more so my viewpoint no longer matters.

Khryn
02.01.2012 , 10:35 AM | #22
I'm not surprised about posts like these. People get their panties in a wad over everything anymore.

Of course this could be the ultimate troll post. And I think it comes down to who the player really is on what you choose to do, not Bioware's fault for giving you the option.
Khryn, Rex'sun, Xhiryn, and variations of such.
Jung-Ma Refugee.
I'm a keyboard turnin' cowboy, baby.

Pathlight-
02.01.2012 , 10:35 AM | #23
OP, I am a Republic player and honestly, I do not understand what you expected when playing Empire. The Empire, as it is portrayed ingame and in the movies (with the exception of some individuals of course) is very close to a totalitarian regime. It is intolerant of "lesser races", militaristic, propagandist and doomed to fail at some point.

I have played a Dark Side Sith inquisitor to 50 and enjoyed it immensely, while clearly compartmentalizing my real and ingame personnalities. I now play a trooper and I clearly feel more aligned with Republican ideals (as most people who play the game hopefully even though they may enjoy playing Dark Side): democracy, rule of law, equality of races...

As for sexual violence, I cannot comment as I've never played a Sith warrior, but keep in mind that the game is for people over 16.

So, I actually like the fact that evil is not only portrayed as blatantly killing every person you come across but also in the political and sociological aspects of the Empire. It clearly adds depth to the game and feeds roleplaying.

If you cannot stomach roleplaying someone who agrees with those ideals (which is perfectly understandable) then don't play Empire and join the side that will win in the end.

Hellyeah_Rook
02.01.2012 , 10:36 AM | #24
Hey man, I read your whole wall of text.

And I agree whole heartedly. Especially the part where the homophobes are ok with kids sexually assaulting their slave companion but not participating in a same sex relationship.

Another thing that really irks me about that, is that it seems if you play a male character there are more in game options to flirt or have sex with story npcs than if you play a male character. That oddly strikes me as favoritism of one sex over the other, which is down right sexist.

Woodspoon
02.01.2012 , 10:36 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
Whoa, I didn't know that the Sith Warrior only came with dark side choices.

That's the way the SW's evil side is. Accept it, or reroll light side. Or female.
This ^^^

I've never once slapped, shocked or sexually harassed Vette, just because I don't want to.
If you choose the dark side then you must accept that you are going to see and do dark deeds.

But over all, ITS A GAME, DON'T READ TOO MUCH INTO IT, it's not real.
∑█╫╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬۝Ξ╣◣▀▀▀▀▀▀www.thenerfherders.co.uk▀▀▀▀▀▀

Shampoo
02.01.2012 , 10:37 AM | #26
You're missing my point entirely. I'm trying to say that it's not justifiable or contributing to the story in any way to have that option.

Sure, you can go light side--but the Empire's general persuasion, and the way of the Sith as it is presented in The Old Republic certainly points you in the direction of, at the very least, verbal abuse of a female companion character.

I digress--the issue at hand here is primarily a marketing one. The fact that EA, Bioware and ESRB let something come through with a Teen rating, marketed at a younger audience that contains intense sexual violence.

Mass Effect 2 is more sophisticated in this manner and yet for some reason bears the M for Mature 17+ rating.
Support the Free Vette Movement! Enough is enough. It's time for equality for ALL species and genders in the Empire.

Hellyeah_Rook
02.01.2012 , 10:37 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JediKabuto View Post
Don't like the way Vette is handled? Try making a Bounty Hunter and check out Mako's nervous breakdown throughout he game.
What? When does she have a nervous break down? I play a light sided bounty hunter who is nice to Mako, so does she eventually flip out if you're dark sided?

Jetflair
02.01.2012 , 10:39 AM | #28
I have to agree with OP. I haven't really played really far the stories so far(like level 14 most) but yes it can be bit touchy sometimes.

To me it seems this game is somehow imbalanced between factions. In Republic stories I feel I'm railroaded and choices are few but simple. Maybe its because I've played Trooper mostly but choices on Republic side don't seem to have many different negative endings.

On Imperial side they are varied and somewhat twisted.

Just an example. With IA there is choice you can make early on game that buys you out of trouble.

You could

a) kill who causes it
b) flirt that ends to..well lets leave that imagination but female IA isn't feeling well afterwards
c) talk out of it

On republic side it would be

1) kill
2)neutral choice 1
3)neutral choice 2

As comparison my female Smuggler never really had chance to do anything like IA before level 25. They should prolly tone down the bad things in Imp side and move some of it to republic.

Vaegaknight
02.01.2012 , 10:40 AM | #29
This is fantasy. Fiction. You get good moral choices and bad moral choices. Playing ANY fantasy/fiction game requires that you realize that you are playing a character in a VIDEO GAME and that is ALL.

None of this is real. Accept it and move on. Because you're looking far too into it for your own good.

Shampoo
02.01.2012 , 10:40 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Pathlight- View Post
As for sexual violence, I cannot comment as I've never played a Sith warrior, but keep in mind that the game is for people over 16..
The ESRB rating T for Teen is ages 13+, not 16. Mature games are 17+. Perhaps you are confused.
Support the Free Vette Movement! Enough is enough. It's time for equality for ALL species and genders in the Empire.