Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

Tsukae
02.01.2012 , 10:29 AM | #11
>Chooses to play bad guys.
>Is upset when he finds out the bad guys are bad.
mfw
"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

Greywatch
02.01.2012 , 10:30 AM | #12
Wait, what?

My Sith's around level 27. He seems like a pretty nice guy so far, just born into the wrong society.

FYI: There's nothing stopping vette from leaving you, story-wise. In fact, in one of her quests [SPOILER, HIGHLIGHT:] You can ask her if she wants to leave you for her old gang. She'll say no.

Selaik
02.01.2012 , 10:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Shampoo View Post
My claims relate to the lack of intelligence or premise to warrant that sort of thing. Also an ESRB rating that fails to acknowledge the deeply rooted gender and torture related issues that present themselves.

Yes, the Empire is evil--you volunteer for it. But folks who buy the game expect an experience like the original trilogy, not a product where you're literally guided to make the decision to shock an enslaved, sexualized companion in order to get dark side points for specific gear.

Not only that but down the line, you can buy her affection through gifts and have the option of espousing the very same character you've tortured until the sudden materialistic turnaround.

It's all a bit disheartening and certainly not something I'd ever want to see my 13 year old playing on a Saturday night. Given the right sort of coverage, the media would have a field day with this.
simple solution , monitor what your kids play , and for that matter what the watch on TV and the Internet , don't push you responsibility to the rest of us , I have 2 kids its my responsibility what they do not yours.

Shampoo
02.01.2012 , 10:31 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
I'm not going to flame you for your opinion, I agree with a lot of things you're saying but more importantly I'm glad that these sorts of issues still matter to people. I think I must be becoming desensitized :S

But I have to ask you why you resort to name-calling and insulting the very people for whom you'd like to have a discussion with, at the end of your post? If you are offended by the tldr crowd than why not just skip that whole part altogether? It makes you seem like you're looking for a fight before anyone even has the chance to respond.
Fixed, sorry for sounding crass there. I was a little fired up about the whole situation as somebody who is active in trying to advocate for gender equality.
Support the Free Vette Movement! Enough is enough. It's time for equality for ALL species and genders in the Empire.

KittyPrawn
02.01.2012 , 10:31 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Shampoo View Post
Yes, the Empire is evil--you volunteer for it. But folks who buy the game expect an experience like the original trilogy, not a product where you're literally guided to make the decision to shock an enslaved, sexualized companion in order to get dark side points for specific gear.
Or you can go light side and free her and treat her like a welcome companion and start a loving relationship with her.

Is it Bioware's fault for offering the torture option, or yours for taking it?
Kyrti of the Apsalar Legacy - 50 Rattataki Sorcerer - Canderous Ordo
Caution: Aggressive, Will Bite.

Quote: Originally Posted by Neamhan View Post
What's this? Something is being improved?! To the Complain-o-tron 5000!!

Roodys
02.01.2012 , 10:32 AM | #16
If find this game offensive you probbily shouldn't go on the internet ever....

Makar
02.01.2012 , 10:33 AM | #17
I don't get what the complaints are about... Everything mentioned just sounds like a good time.
Squadron 238 Tester

Aleutius
02.01.2012 , 10:33 AM | #18
Oh look, another "video games, not parents, are ruining our youth today" post.

SamuraBob_Fl
02.01.2012 , 10:33 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by KittyPrawn View Post
Or you can go light side and free her and treat her like a welcome companion and start a loving relationship with her.

Is it Bioware's fault for offering the torture option, or yours for taking it?
Yeah. Taking the LS option wouldn't feel meaningful without the alternative.
...they'd never come to see me in this dive, where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of here alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bplt6CQ3MyE

JediKabuto
02.01.2012 , 10:35 AM | #20
Don't like the way Vette is handled? Try making a Bounty Hunter and check out Mako's nervous breakdown throughout he game.