Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dragonexadon's Avatar


Dragonexadon
02.02.2012 , 10:24 PM | #501
I do have a few real questions about the event.

Who will be picking the topics of discussion. Will this be truly open form of commutation or will the topics be set?

How will time be divided between each guild master who gets to attend? As well as the public members viewing in?
FORCE EFFECT
|US-East || PVP Server || Casual Guild || End Game Operations & PVP
http://www.force-effect.net/

AchillestheGreat's Avatar


AchillestheGreat
02.02.2012 , 10:59 PM | #502
Hey... what a fantastic opportunity for many to speak to the developers and perhaps influence the game we so love!?

Understandably, they cannot invite everyone... perhaps members should or could simply start posting relevant questions they would like to see answered instead of cluttering the chat pages with insults and negative comments.


Let's start with this...

The Guild Management User Interface
is only accessible to the GuildMaster...
I truly believe an option for this aspect of Guild Management can better assist the Guild and the GuildMaster if given the ability to allow selected members, at the GuildMasters discretion, to allow chosen Officers access to this panel that one can assist and lighten the load and burden on the GM, especially in the event of Guildmasters absences.

This would truly allow the functionality of a "Co-Guildmaster" at the Guildmasters prudence.

i'm sure there are so many more aspects that could be discussed and presented here for better game performance.

could you, SWOTR member, please post them in summary?
I'd really love to hear your direct, civil articulate advice and suggestions!


.
░░▒▒▓▓ Community GrandMaster for OLD REPUBLIC DADS & ORD II - OUTER RIM DIVISION ▓▓▒▒░░
The Guild for working Adults and Parents ~ Guild HQ pages are found HERE & HERE

jztrotter's Avatar


jztrotter
02.02.2012 , 11:12 PM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by WarheartZero View Post
Have you listened to yourself!? Stephen said it like it is. Grow up, stop crying foul on everything they do. Are you asking Bioware to fly every player to the show to ask their questions!? This is great news and everyone should realize this is great steps to take. It will only benefit all of us.

Yeah, he has gotten to the point to tell you that your type isn't welcome here. Because your negative, unconstructive, you don't help the community and you think your "entitled" to something others have.

I work customer service and on rare occasions we do let someone know whats up, cause in the end the company doesn't want that "type" of person anyways as it's just not worth it.

There's plenty of other games out there and I don't see many inviting players to meet up and talk.

You are a example of why they are selective. I would never want someone like you talking for me.
First off, you need to read the previous posts on this thread. Your assumptions about what I expect are ignorant at best. If they wanted to benefit "all of us", they wouldn't hold this for a select group of people from our entire community. Your mindset is twisted by your overwhelming fanboyism and personal opinions.

As for the meeting itself, I never said the meeting was a bad thing, in fact the VERY first post I made clarified that I find this kind of meeting cool for those who enjoy such things. Even more so when it is neccessary. However, this gathering is 'unneccessary'. The forums, open media pages, beta feedback, etc. provide enough information from the entire population of the game to be able to cover most related subjects without showing favortism. I don't care how they sugar coat it, its an unneccessary PR stunt thats favoriting a select group of people. Period.

In regards to "my type" being here, clearly you once again have not been reading the previous posts. If you honestly believe that I'm the only person complaining, your oblivious. You also have a twisted view about what "my type" is. You have no idea what good communication is because your too biased toward the game, company, or staff to no any better. Do I feel entitled to general information? Yes, I do and you should too. I pay my money every month and its worth the same amount of respect as everyone elses.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of how they phrase it, they chose a select few to come to this, and then opened it up to a few leaders/officers who want to "pay their own way". Its even more insulting that the people who want to come have to go through an application process before being allowed to spend money to join. How many people do not participate in guilds? How many people cannot come because of finaces? How many people live outside of the US? Entitlement here means nothing more than equality in the way that information should always be provided. So once again, yes, I feel entitled.

In regards to where you work, I could care less. Though, to throw this back into your face, I worked for customer support for multiple industries for years and I know how things function. Standard curtosies do not involve cutting out a majority of your population, clients, etc. just to address specific problems, questions or concerns. If you honestly think thats good management, then I feel sorry for you.

As for "people like me" being the reason why they're deciding to be selective, you don't know me outside of this post, and yet your suddenly an expert on who I am, what I like or dislike, and how I act. Your arrogance is astounding, and when it comes down to it, I find that for someone who works in customer support, your far from being the shade of gray thats typically neccessary to handle relations with other people. You may not choose me to go, but I wouldn't want to represent someone like you anyways. My views are not so linear.
ị█ị‼‼‼‼‼°█╣█████████████████████████████████████ị

jztrotter's Avatar


jztrotter
02.02.2012 , 11:50 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by AchillestheGreat View Post
Hey... what a fantastic opportunity for many to speak to the developers and perhaps influence the game we so love!?

Understandably, they cannot invite everyone... <snip>
I agree, this gathering is a good way to speak to the devs directly but is unneccesary in regards to influencing the game. If the Devs have yet to be influenced by the forums, beta feedback, media pages (such as facebook and twitter), etc. then there is a problem and lacking of basic respect for the community.

Yes, they cannot invite everyone in person, which is why I strongly feel that they should hold a Q&A online, or possibly open this gathering up to everyone via live video and chat.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather speak for myself than have people I don't know represent me just because I was not chosen for whatever reason.

As you have seen, not everyone sees eye to eye, and you'll notice I've just clashed with someone who clearly has different views and opinions as myself. Dose that me either of us should be excluded because we disagree? No, and thats where the problem lies.
ị█ị‼‼‼‼‼°█╣█████████████████████████████████████ị

CreamPoet's Avatar


CreamPoet
02.03.2012 , 01:47 AM | #505
Good news Bioware, keep it up.
Captain Forstan - Lifesaver - Heartbreaker

Vinsable's Avatar


Vinsable
02.03.2012 , 02:20 AM | #506
When you say "Guild," do you mean in game or out of game? And what type of questions are you going to ask? I know I tried to start a guild with my own philosophies, but it didn't turn out right. All in all I would like to recomend Sarah Lynne Bowman, author of The Functions of Role-Playing Games & an adjunct professor at the University of Texas at Dallas, Richland College, Ashford University, and Brookhaven College, to be part of the discussion for new scenarios and/or character creation advise as mentioned in chapter 6 of her book. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not realy disguntled about my "Guild" situation. I just think RPGs has goten a very bad rap.

Finuc's Avatar


Finuc
02.03.2012 , 02:30 AM | #507
Two questions

1. Is there any possibility to join or follow it via stream over internet? Coming from Europe to America isn't cheap. I would be very interested in joining, giving ideas / feedback or at least listen to it - so it would be very nice, if BW would create a stream broadcast with chat option for guild-leaders to join remotely to the summit.

2. Would it be too much to ask, if BW could organize similar event in europe for EU-guildleaders? I don't mean to complain, but it has been a bit like EU is the 2nd rate citizen when talking about SWTOR things (downtimes f.ex).

- Finuc -
Guildmaster of XIV Legion
Basilisk Droid (EU), PvP, Empire
Recruiting

asuffield's Avatar


asuffield
02.03.2012 , 03:38 AM | #508
I didn't really want to get involved in such a hopeless thread, but...

Quote: Originally Posted by DTuloJr View Post
Oh wait... here's the list that I'd discuss with them, though in person, or on a different forum post, or electronic mail, in much more detail...
This is exactly the sort of feedback which they are organizing a summit to avoid. This is because it is useless to them as a game developer. Here's your list, cut down to the parts that matter:

1. Spend millions more on the game and don't release it for another 5 years
2. Spend millions more on the game and don't release it for another 5 years
3. Spend millions more on the game and don't release it for another 5 years
...
13. Something they already have or are working on
14. Something they already have or are working on
15. Something they already have or are working on

Hopefully this makes it clear why this kind of "feedback" is unhelpful - they would love to have an unlimited budget and solve all the hard unsolved problems in games development so they can turn out features in next to no time, but that won't happen and they need feedback which relates to things that are possible for a game development studio with budgets and schedules.

What they need, first and foremost, is a clear understanding of which issues to prioritize and how players would react to their ideas. This thread and many others like it are a clear demonstration of why they cannot get that on the forums - it's just 50 pages of people saying things that come down to "I think you should spend more money on everything, it is all the top priority". Some useful feedback might be buried in there somewhere, but it's impossible to have a conversation about it because of all the noise.

It's not at all difficult to see the reasoning behind the way they're doing this: relatively few unreasonable people remain guild leaders for long, and if you set up a discussion containing only reasonable people then they can actually talk to each other and make some progress in understanding the issues, especially if they have a little guidance to keep them on-topic. Preventing random people from attending is important if they want to avoid an expensive repeat of the forums.

Yogol's Avatar


Yogol
02.03.2012 , 03:45 AM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
We'll be happy to answer further questions about the summit itself, but back and forth arguments have no place here.
Wauw... you don't want to hear a client's opinions anymore, just because another client has said the same ? You don't want to know what we are thinking?

Seems to me that listening to customers is key here... even if someones says the exact same thing that 100 other people said, I think that you should at least let him speak his mind, so that you know how many people agree...

It's an odd attitude, telling people not to speak their mind anymore.

Especially when you are, well, organising a summit to make people speak their mind!
Yogol. Rebel without a cause. Often without a clue too.
Founder of The Fruitfly Guild, the one-day-beta-guild for one-day-beta-characters.

DTuloJr's Avatar


DTuloJr
02.03.2012 , 04:01 AM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by asuffield View Post
This is exactly the sort of feedback which they are organizing a summit to avoid. This is because it is useless to them as a game developer.
The studio invested $2-300 million dollars and six years worth of time. Nothing I suggested is impossible by any means, nor is any of it actually being worked on to the level that it's been demanded by the player base.

I'm sorry, I will simply not accept mediocrity and continue to pay for IOU's for much longer. Nor will apparantly hundreds of thousands of others who have chosen *not* to subscribe to the game that they actually purchased. The feedback that I and others have provided to them is highly accomplishable with appropriate management and resource coordination. I'm sorry that you apparantly think so little of BWA's skill set and ability to actually accomplish what I and others have actually challenged them to do. Your dismissive attitude is detrimental to truly improving the game, and is *exactly* the kind of noise intended to shout down others and stifle their participation. Shame on you.
Join The Dark Side™. We have coffee, doughnuts, and cookies.