Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jhoren
02.01.2012 , 06:22 PM | #231
Yeah BW is footing the bill for airfare and lodging, AND european guilds have been invited as well. No one is getting shafted here, it's an added opportunity.

I really like this initiative. It's a much better way to communicate (face to face), and the guild leaders will typically gather a bunch of questions/topics from the guild members beforehand.

Benfynyn
02.01.2012 , 06:25 PM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

When we started planning the Guild Summit, we decided we would invite a select number of guild leaders to Austin at our expense, just like the Fan Site Summit. In addition, we decided to open applications to all guild leaders who were interested in attending at their own expense. So far, judging by the pile of applications we've received today, plenty of people are interested in joining us in Austin and we're looking forward to welcoming everyone.

So no, they are not footing the bill for everyone. Only the ones that were invited. Everyone else can pay their own way (if they make it through the applications process).
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

After some investigation, it appears that there was some miscommunication between teams and this patch note was not intended to be included in this last patch.

Fiachsidhe
02.01.2012 , 06:25 PM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Xumagai View Post
Learn to read. The guild summit is AT THEIR EXPENSE.
Learn to comprehend. The expenses are paid for those selected by Bioware, not those that sign up.

Force_Storm
02.01.2012 , 06:32 PM | #234
this gives me two feelings, the first I am not familiar with is happiness, the best thing about gaming is enthusiasm cheers mates!!!, the second in unhappiness as in why can't this event be near my house you are jst out to get me!!! lol
thread ender

Fett
02.01.2012 , 06:34 PM | #235

The web is a very good medium for presenting lots of material - but face to face interaction and conversation is always going to yield great results. Let's be frank, the anonymity of the internet can ensure some pretty radical opinions and can sometimes drown out reasonable discussion. We believe we'll get some great in-depth discussions and feedback out of this event.
*@$% people actually read what I write, I better be more careful in future!!!
Fett
Being a Bounty Hunter is not a class decision, it's a lifestyle...

StephenReid
02.01.2012 , 06:37 PM | #236
Quote: Originally Posted by Fiachsidhe View Post
How are you not excluding people, if only a tiny sliver of your player base can even apply, and then you have to be selected? You're excluding most of your players before applications even begin!
We're not excluding people because, as we've suggested several times in a number of threads today, we'll be open to feedback and interaction during the summit from everyone - not just those attending. We're not ready to announce further details on how that will work yet, but we will be soon.

Naturally, we can't host a summit and invite the entire population of the game to attend; it's physically not possible. I can understand your feelings that those 'in the room' have a stronger voice than those out of it, but we're taking that into account in our planning.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bregah View Post
Also, like someone else said, this announcement gives the impression they'll start ASKING what people want in March, and then start coding/implementing it.
There are plenty of guild-centric features already planned and many are in development - for example guild banks, which we've talked about for Game Update 1.2.

We are certainly not holding back on development of these features until the summit happens, although we do hope that during the summit when we talk about future development, we'll get some validation from the community as a whole (and not just those attending) that we're on the right track. (And why are we waiting until the summit? Well, the development team isn't quite ready to talk about many of these features yet, but we've challenged them to ensure they are by the summit.)

Finally, I appreciate the feedback in this thread, but I'd ask you to remain constructive in your comments.

varrangian
02.01.2012 , 06:41 PM | #237
I think on the surface most people will see this as no big deal and I don't think any rational person will see it as some sort of grand conspiracy.

The one thing that I think is a legitimate criticism is that it is a "selective" event. While I understand that there need to be limitations on this, there is an inherent risk in selecting guilds that they will not be as open and honest as they would have been had they been invited in another manner. I would suggest a combination of selection and lottery, you can set the criteria for the guild eligible for the lottery however you like, but at least this way they will feel less beholden to Bioware and more likely to openly discuss the topics at hand.

Githander
02.01.2012 , 06:51 PM | #238
So the preselected people who will give us the predetermined outcome of the event we are willing to pay for. Everyone else can apply and maybe you can participate on your own dime. Is this seriously the plan?

Do the paid people sit at a different table / stay at a different hotel from the paying people? Do the paying people have to sit at the back of the shuttle bus? Do they get to eat at the same resturant or go to the same party?

BTW did we mention your sub money goes to fund the free trip for the other people. Yeah poorly thought out PR stunt.

SONY (EQ) did a guild summit which it selected and paid for who they wanted to hear from.

Blizzard (WOW) Blizzcon everyone pays.

One or the other this is just plain crap.

Fiachsidhe
02.01.2012 , 06:52 PM | #239
We're not excluding people because, as we've suggested several times in a number of threads today, we'll be open to feedback and interaction during the summit from everyone - not just those attending. We're not ready to announce further details on how that will work yet, but we will be soon..
WHAT?!?

You're open to feedback all the time, by default! You're not being extra gracious, by offering to listen to those that can't go. That's your job ALL THE %#%!ing TIME.
This whole forum exists, to provide you with 24/7 feedback. How ridiculous that you claim to include everyone, when you're really including this forum passively.

According to your logic, you can invite all the white people to Austin, but all the black people can still post on the boards because you're "stilll going to listen to those who couldn't make it". Because you're always in a state of doing so anyway, so that wouldn't make you racist.

Of course you can't invite everyone, the problem is, you have an event where you invited people PERIOD.

The point you seem almost professionally unable to grasp, is how utterly unnecessary, and pointless this entire PR stunt is and how worry some it is so soon after launch.

Zhentarion
02.01.2012 , 07:00 PM | #240
Sound like a Great.......wait For some one like me Who play a sith and a darth bane fan
to the core dont like It when its for guild leaders why did you forget this aint wow if oyu put player summit i could understand many play lone wolfs cos We are the power Not Week sheep who follow One leader .. why thin power when a few can be strong
Motherbord: P8Z68-v Pro
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
Graf : Nvidia Gtx 560 ti cu 2 = To Large!
Ram : 8 GB DDR 3