Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing The Old Republic Guild Summit
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jabalolwut
02.01.2012 , 05:06 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by jabalolwut View Post
Right cause you know how hard it is to read the forums the need to make a convention for guild leaders ( some of them are 12 ) just to discuss hot topics for guild content in a live q & a.

Here's the hot topic, guild bank - kthxbai

Fiddling while Rome burns.

Clutchheal Gardens Of Talla

StephenReid
02.01.2012 , 05:06 PM | #212
Hello everyone, thanks for your comments so far. I wanted to address a few things that have come up.

Quote: Originally Posted by Loreki View Post
Again, some effort to include European players would be nice. A separate summit session would be ideal - a small number (5 or 10?) funded places for Europeans to travel over would perhaps wind up being a cheaper alternative.
As this is our first time doing a Guild Summit, naturally we have to be cautious in some aspects of this event. Holding it in Austin makes the most sense, as we're based here and will get the biggest developer turnout with the least impact on development schedules; it's also considerably easier for us to organize when it's local to us.

That said, if the event is a success, a future European summit isn't out of the question. For this event, we have already invited a number of EU guild leaders.

Quote: Originally Posted by Liberate View Post
Great, so the mega guilds will be the only ones to get a say.
That's definitely not the case - in fact, the application doesn't even ask for the size of the guild to be specified. We're aiming to invite a diverse mix of guilds; small and large, PvP, PvE and RP playstyles. We're interested in a whole variety of opinions and hope that those who attend will respect opinions on the game that might be alternative to theirs.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fett View Post
After all, given this is an online game, isn't everyone's opinion valid and isn't the web the best medium for presenting material like this?
The web is a very good medium for presenting lots of material - but face to face interaction and conversation is always going to yield great results. Let's be frank, the anonymity of the internet can ensure some pretty radical opinions and can sometimes drown out reasonable discussion. We believe we'll get some great in-depth discussions and feedback out of this event.

With that said, we're aware that some might not be able to attend and are looking for alternative ways to participate. We'll have more information on how you'll be able to contribute soon.

Quote: Originally Posted by ManiacZX View Post
Does the person applying for this have to be the "Guild Leader" in terms of the top position in the structure of the guild or merely part of the Guild Leadership?
Any guild leader is welcome to apply and then can designate another guild member to attend in their place. This of course assumes that the guild leader's application is accepted for the event.

Last thing; there's been a certain amount of concern in this thread that we're 'expecting' or 'forcing' people to attend the summit. To give you some background, when we held our last Fan Site Summit, at which we invited a number of SWTOR fan sites out to Austin, we heard from a lot of other fan sites that they would have been interested in coming if they were able to pay their own way.

When we started planning the Guild Summit, we decided we would invite a select number of guild leaders to Austin at our expense, just like the Fan Site Summit. In addition, we decided to open applications to all guild leaders who were interested in attending at their own expense. So far, judging by the pile of applications we've received today, plenty of people are interested in joining us in Austin and we're looking forward to welcoming everyone.

We're building this event to gather a broad spectrum of opinions, both from those attending in person and those of you in the wider community. We're not excluding anyone, even if they can't make it to Austin.

Xumagai
02.01.2012 , 05:10 PM | #213
BC they are trying to avoid the trolls/kids to hear the invited adults talk about what they would like to see in game. We should be relishing this opportunity people, a live q&a on youtube wouldn't get anything done, the most ambitious trolls would still be heard.

Plus how do you have a party over the internet? I'd rather go to the Austin DoubleTree and meet and greet peole, have a few drinks at the bar afterward and play some MTG or something with other guilds. Meet some of the devs so I could ask qs in person, stuff like that.

I personally would have picked a different city but BW is in Austin, so to Austin we go!

Fiachsidhe
02.01.2012 , 05:16 PM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
we decided to open applications to all guild leaders who were interested in attending at their own expense.

We're not excluding anyone, even if they can't make it to Austin.
Do you even read the PR you copy/paste?

How are you not excluding people, if only a tiny sliver of your player base can even apply, and then you have to be selected? You're excluding most of your players before applications even begin!

Bregah
02.01.2012 , 05:21 PM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by Randytravis View Post
I'm not being funny but seriously i am really impressed with the feedback that BW are willing to listen. I've been playing since early release and the one thing ive noticed compared to playing other MMO's is the feedback and 'general' honesty from BW. I hope there is some constructive feedback.
Strange - one thing I've noticed is the general LACK of Bioware addressing concerns in a timely manner.

Also, like someone else said, this announcement gives the impression they'll start ASKING what people want in March, and then start coding/implementing it.

Why not start now? There's dozens if not hundreds of suggestions on these forums about what people want, and not a peep from Bioware in any of the threads.

Xumagai
02.01.2012 , 05:29 PM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by Fiachsidhe View Post
Do you even read the PR you copy/paste?

How are you not excluding people, if only a tiny sliver of your player base can even apply, and then you have to be selected? You're excluding most of your players before applications even begin!
What would you have them do? simply invite random people from the game overall?? I agree with BW, guild leaders are a good choice.

Shokurai
02.01.2012 , 05:32 PM | #217
anyone who shows up to this and does not hammer bioware for not having individual server forums i have no use for and do not wish to hear from.......

Xumagai
02.01.2012 , 05:33 PM | #218
Anyway, I'll let my GL fill out the application when he gets off of work (which is hell of late, he's on pac time unlike the rest of us), hopefully that doesn't ruin our chances of getting to send someone but we won't be banking on it as it really should be a select group of people.

Best of luck to all officers who get to go, and hopefully one of our officers will see you in Austin!

Lumocolor
02.01.2012 , 05:36 PM | #219
This is amazingly crazy.

This sounds like "We know the game has major issues and a lot of you don't plan on paying us $15 a month much longer for what we're giving you at the moment, but please spend a couple of thousand dollars of your own money to come give us ideas on how to fix it".

This gives a whole new meaning to volunteer work...lol

P.S. You'd think in 2012 this could be done online or via conference call, where the invitees could participate for free and not have to spend hundreds to thousands of their own money on traveling to tell the paid employees how to fix the game.

Xumagai
02.01.2012 , 05:39 PM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
This is amazingly crazy.

This sounds like "We know the game has major issues and a lot of you don't plan on paying us $15 a month much longer for what we're giving you at the moment, but please spend a couple of thousand dollars of your own money to come give us ideas on how to fix it".

This gives a whole new meaning to volunteer work...lol

P.S. You'd think in 2012 this could be done online or via conference call, where the invitees could participate for free and not have to spend hundreds to thousands of their own money on traveling to tell the paid employees how to fix the game.
First of all as they stated it is at their expense. Secondly, many of us have no major issues. Everyone in my guild bought a new computer for this game and we are mostly just confused as to what the trolls are talking about... I do see minor issues such as quests not updating but compared to other releases that's cake.