Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Differences between class stories

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Differences between class stories

Bobbyrab
02.01.2012 , 08:40 AM | #1
I leveled a smuggler to 50 and recently rolled a Sith warrior for a change of pace. I thought the smuggler story was okay, but nothing to write home about. It was interesting to see the marked difference between the start of the smugglerís story and the SWís. The first ten levels of a smuggler find you basically doing little more than finding a way off Ord Mantell. The SW immediately throws you into a tense situation with intrigue, competition, difficult choices and looming threats just over the horizonÖand thatís just inside the Sith Academy.

Now, I know the smugglerís story was meant to be much lighter fare, and weíre obviously talking about a casual, go-lucky privateer versus a future dark Sith Lord, and we canít forget player preference, but it was fascinating to me that already Iím more engaged in my SWís tale (as a level 5) than at any point in the entirety of my smugglerís story.

Pubsam
02.01.2012 , 08:54 AM | #2
With eight different stories, they're obviously gonna differ in quality, pacing, etc. With other Bioware game like Mass Effect where the story is really loved, they were able to put all their writing resources into a single story. Considering how involving even the lesser class stories are in SWTOR, it's unimaginable to me how much effort must have gone into it.

I've played a Trooper and an Imperial Agent to mid 40s, and have had varying interest in each story. I was completely taken with Trooper's Act I, but since then have not found myself as engaged. After getting off Hutta, my Agent got downright boring. But Act II is great, and Act III racks it up to crazy-town and is incredible. But even though my Trooper's story is lacking in comparison, I still love my Trooper character a lot!

So while your SW may be starting out strong, they may get boring, or you may find you just prefer being the carefree scoundrel versus the SUPER SERIOUS EVIL SITH. Or maybe you're playing a dour smuggler and a rosy SW? I personally plan on playing as many stories as I can get time for, and probably settling on whatever class I enjoy mechanically playing the best as my main.
Time for a nap.

Bobbyrab
02.01.2012 , 09:09 AM | #3
And thatís the interesting thing that you see splashed over the forums all the time: some players love a certain story, while others hate it. Some players want to play their (for instance) Jedi Knight as a straight Luke Skywalker/hero of the day typeÖand, given what Iíve heard about the story, they love it because thatís what they get. Others play a JK and hate it, claiming the story is too boringÖtheyíre obviously expecting a different (probably more dramatic, less standard) story. Iíll probably then be spending a lot of time in the Imp stories, as I hear theyíre darker and given to more subtlety, which is the kind of stories I like.

That said, what happens when you donít like the class story but you love the mechanics of the class?? I thought the smuggler story was lukewarm, but Iíve never had so much fun leveling a character before, with the sheer versatility that the class offered.

Cythereal
02.01.2012 , 09:25 AM | #4
Yes, the Imperial stories are definitely darker and, in my opinion, much more complex and involved than the Republic stories, which tend towards fairly straightforward heroism and saving the galaxy. It's much murkier on the Imperial side of things, especially if you play a light-sider. My experience has also been that the Imperial side is simply more creative in terms of story and characters.

Quote:
That said, what happens when you donít like the class story but you love the mechanics of the class?? I thought the smuggler story was lukewarm, but Iíve never had so much fun leveling a character before, with the sheer versatility that the class offered.
Try its mirror on the other faction. I find the Imperial Agent's to be one of the best stories in the game, if a bit slow to start. It's by far the most textured of all the stories I've seen - a secret war in the shadows of the galaxy where the line between good and evil is blurry at best. It also has more potential variations in how it ends than every other Imperial class put together. Maybe more than every other class put together, period.
"That which furthers our purpose is authorized." - Imperial Intelligence, Field Operations Division motto

Bobbyrab
02.01.2012 , 09:54 AM | #5
Oh yes...I will definitely be creating an IA.

My only conundrum there is op or sniper, but that's for another thread.

Yukondoit
02.01.2012 , 10:17 AM | #6
I've got a level 42 Jedi Knight (Guardian) and I have to say that the Jedi Knight's story is pretty incredible. Act I is good. Act II was good, but had an amazing ending. And Act III thus far is already heading toward epic status.
"The nine most dangerous words are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

We all want new playable races. Specifically, we all want Bothans.

Luckmann
02.01.2012 , 10:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Yukondoit View Post
I've got a level 42 Jedi Knight (Guardian) and I have to say that the Jedi Knight's story is pretty incredible. Act I is good. Act II was good, but had an amazing ending. And Act III thus far is already heading toward epic status.
I think that most seem to be built like that. The Sith Warrior story sure is. First part was sorta yeah, I can do this, no problem. Then it's like alright, wow, this is pretty cool, I'm really important.

And then it just switches into maximum overtroll and goes OH SHI- SON, NO YOU DIDN'T.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

Bobbyrab
02.01.2012 , 10:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Yukondoit View Post
Ugh, I wish the smuggler story was like that. The first act starts out with some promise but doesnít really go anywhere with it, the second act has a dull premise and dull follow-thru, and the third act tries to throw a surprise at you but itís too little too late. At the least the Risha romance was good.

kraidy
02.01.2012 , 11:20 AM | #9
I have noticed a huge difference in quality, more so in act 2. {personally, I think IA and Jedi Knight are tied in terms of story. They are just utterly fantastic.

Pubsam
02.01.2012 , 04:48 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobbyrab View Post
Well, once you finish the class story it's over, done, kaput. All that's left is the class' mechanics and the personality you chose for your character via whatever conversations you take part in. So at that point I'll probably just pick whatever class I enjoy playing the most plus whatever character's 'personality' I like best (the latter part helped by an overactive imagination).

So for me probably my Operative because healing's my favorite, and playing a thoughtful, light-side, ultra polite, Sith hating, Empire loyal, wary but always seeking to build trusting relationships (oh how many adjectives can add here?) Chiss Agent is slightly more appealing than my BAMF, ruthless, merciless, rude, blindly patriotic, egomaniacal Vanguard.

Of course once they add more story you might be disappointed to have to re-immerse yourself in your Smuggler's mediocre past... but if they're writing more content who knows it could be amazing.
Time for a nap.