Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

OK...Newbie healer here...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular > Sage
OK...Newbie healer here...

Conundrum-NSA
12.15.2011 , 06:09 AM | #1
Gonna try something new for this game....gonna go Sage and try heavy or possibly even full healing spec.

Any advice for a newbie healer?
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
Ord Mantell Squadron 01

MeanMartian
12.15.2011 , 06:44 AM | #2
When their hitpoints get low, cast a healing spell. Don't overheal, this game is pretty unforgiving in resource management. Drop Force Armor on the tank before he pulls and use the synergism from the Rejuvenate/Conveyance talents to minimize your resource expenses.

But most importantly, remember the low hitpoints thing. They get really pissed when they have 0 hitpoints left.

Farlit_Morcha
12.15.2011 , 07:05 AM | #3
LEaving it too late because you were having a sip of beer tends to lead to lots of rage from your group. I've tested this often .
"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety" - Salvor Hardin

Blog: Force Sensitive Druid

lendarya
12.15.2011 , 09:29 AM | #4
Keep in mind a tank cant hold aggro if hes dead

TiVOs
12.15.2011 , 10:21 AM | #5
If the tank dies, it's your fault.
If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.
If the DPS die, it's their own dang fault.

In all seriousness, I think one of the most important concepts a newbie healer needs to be aware of is triage: If it gets to the point where a lot of people are taking damage, you've got to prioritize your heals thusly - keep yourself alive, keep the tank alive, then you can heal the DPS.

Don't forget to watch your own health bar, it's easy to get tunnel vision on the tank's.

Don't be afraid to let the group know you need to wait a second to recover Force.

Don't over-heal. Your heals are all situational, know which ones to use when. You've generally got a quick but inefficient Force-usage heal, a medium sized, medium efficiency heal, and a large, slow cheap heal. You'll also have some utility/preventative heals - make use of those when appropriate, they'll save you Force in the long run.

Watch your threat. If you're pulling aggro by trying to heal everyone - see triage.
<><
"Don't feed the trolls!" ~Proverbs 9:7-9
The Alcyon Legacy

Cruxe
12.15.2011 , 10:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TiVOs View Post
If the tank dies, it's your fault.
If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.
If the DPS die, it's their own dang fault.

You must be new to MMOs, everyone knows everything bad is the healer's fault.
This is not the droid you're looking for.

Quote: Originally Posted by Makar View Post
I used to shoot arrows into completely different dimensions, until bizarro me took an arrow to the knee.

Spectrallight
12.15.2011 , 10:37 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA View Post
Gonna try something new for this game....gonna go Sage and try heavy or possibly even full healing spec.

Any advice for a newbie healer?
Don't go up the healing tree first. Ther are about 5 points in the second tree( telekenetics I think at work atm). one adds 100 force to your pool and the other increses healing by a certain %. After that shoot up the healing tree. I did the reverese in beta and found that some of the instances were more challenging due to low force. The extra 100 force really helps.
Jedi Consular Seer
*** CE, Kryatt Dragon Server ***

Yrayl
12.15.2011 , 10:51 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cruxe View Post
You must be new to MMOs, everyone knows everything bad is the healer's fault.
I'm hoping that's sarcasm lol

Also: As someone already said, watch your Force use, don't overheal. This can be avoided by testing exactly what the range is on every heal you have and making sure you don't use one too big for what someone needs. We have a couple HoTs so be careful with those to.
WATCH YOUR FEET

Conundrum-NSA
12.15.2011 , 01:52 PM | #9
Thanks for the info

Last time a played a pure support class was DAoC, and that was a bard. They were a crowd control class when crowd control took skill (toots own horn). I miss the days of logging in and having 3 group invites before I finish the login process.
Ord Mantell Squadron 01

Conundrum-NSA
12.15.2011 , 02:40 PM | #10
My first attempt at a build...

Almost pure Seer
Ord Mantell Squadron 01