Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the Sorc/Sage all wrong?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Is the Sorc/Sage all wrong?

Gorra-Syn
02.01.2012 , 02:31 AM | #1
When BW decided to make these classes, did they drop the ball? It just seems to me they should do less force dmg and a little more saber. I know in mmo's its common to see a "glass connon" but I can't help but feel these are the wrong classes for it. Take the Sorc for example, if he's a lightning Sorc, hes all ranged and the LAST thing im worried about is him swinging his saber at me... I mean these guys are Sith and Jedi!! Shouldnt the "glass cannon" roll have gone more to maybe the IA/Smuggler and less to the Sorc/Sage? Im not saying they should be as good with sabers as a Knight/warrior, but I think the whole setup of these 2 classes is all wrong. Is it just me?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE "since 77" CLUB

marshalleck
02.01.2012 , 02:33 AM | #2
Did you forget that Consulars and Inquisitors branch off into Shadow and Assassin? Those are your saber-focused ACs for the two classes. They still shoot lightning and rocks out of their arses though just like the more range-inclined counterparts.
Classless character progression // Deep crafting & harvesting // Fully customizable spells & skills // Living world with seasons, weather, dynamic day/night & wildlife ecology // >

Matreix
02.01.2012 , 02:34 AM | #3
a sorc/sage is a jedi who has progressed heavily in the force at the sacrifice of his lightsaber skills, yes jedi do use lightsabers but they do use force too, so i think it makes sense to make a class that heavy uses force just like warriors heavy use lightsabers.

Aussircaex
02.01.2012 , 02:34 AM | #4
I know what you mean, but the spellcaster/melee niche you're alluding to would be the Shadow/Assassin spec.

JackalTurner
02.01.2012 , 02:35 AM | #5
Yeah, the assassin is the saber duelist of the two.

The whole point of the sorc is a class that doesnt NEED his saber because he can blast you with force lighting.

Liquidacid
02.01.2012 , 02:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by marshalleck View Post
Did you forget that Consulars and Inquisitors branch off into Shadow and Assassin? Those are your saber-focused ACs for the two classes. They still shoot lightning and rocks out of their arses though just like the more range-inclined counterparts.
shhh.. this is the internet and as such your logic has no place here!
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

Apiusmon
02.01.2012 , 02:36 AM | #7
um I am pretty sure their entire concept with these classes was to be a ranged caster, has been from day 1 as far as i know

Tintagel
02.01.2012 , 02:38 AM | #8
tbh, I would have preferred just a generic Jedi/Sith class and then be allowed to train into the skills from all to fit my playstyle.

Trying to breakdown Jedi/Sith into distinct classes imo was a big mistake.

Virtually all of the force users in SW would be classed as hybrid if they were to be classified into the SWTOR universe.
The Red Eclipse - EU

Yamok
02.01.2012 , 02:47 AM | #9
as a Sage, I don't really need my weapon for healz.

I would like to option to tuck it away when I'm casting, but.. whatever.
---------------------------------------------------------------
[Dark Reaper] Jedi Sage

Gorra-Syn
02.01.2012 , 02:47 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tintagel View Post
tbh, I would have preferred just a generic Jedi/Sith class and then be allowed to train into the skills from all to fit my playstyle.

Trying to breakdown Jedi/Sith into distinct classes imo was a big mistake.

Virtually all of the force users in SW would be classed as hybrid if they were to be classified into the SWTOR universe.
I agree.. I know some people say Shadow/Assasin.. but then your stuck with a double bladed saber.. like it or not. The devs said the Sorc was fashioned after Palpatine, but I dont really see it. Take Palpatine and Yoda for example.. both of them are strong with the force, but can REALLY throw down with a saber.. The current Sorc/Sage classes are more like some wizard and not a Sith or Jedi.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE "since 77" CLUB