Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

just how powerful is Malgus?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
just how powerful is Malgus?

Ballindaroch
02.01.2012 , 11:44 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
Lucas is also an inconsistent hack of a writer with a love for mary sues. Add to that the fact that the movies and the EU exist in separate continuities and nobody cares.

Maul was a pushover with interpretative dancing as a hobby. He would've done better at ballet than lightsaber combat.

Also, saying that Darth Sidious is the strongest Sith Lord ever, when we have someone like Lord Vitiate right in front of us.. haha, oh wow.
Actually is pretty well established that Sidous is the most powerful Sith ever. (If you take GL's word)
It's not cheating, it's winning at all costs.

Luckmann
02.01.2012 , 11:47 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ballindaroch View Post
Actually is pretty well established that Sidous is the most powerful Sith ever. (If you take GL's word)
I think I just settled that I don't. It's hilarious that people are take GL's word for it when it's plain as day that other characters in the EU are blatantly more powerful than Sidious on virtually every level.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

AngelousWang
02.01.2012 , 11:48 AM | #23
Lore wise he is weaker then Lord Scourge, Darth Angrel and Darth Bara's, who is weaker than the Jedi Knight and weaker than the Sith Warrior. The Sith Inquisitor is likely stronger than him too.

The Emperor is the all powerful, only second to Sidious, lore wise.

"Emperors Voices" - puppet bodies the Emperor uses.

The Sith Warrior is strong enough to beat Darth Bara's who is strong enough to beat one of the Emperors "Voices"

The Jedi Knight is strong enough to beat another one of the the Emperors "Voices".

Lord Scourge is more powerful than the entire Dark Council combined. Which probably means the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight is too (though I would exclude Darth Nox).

Darth Malgus is not strong enough to take on the entire Dark Council combined, he has also excepted Darth Marr, Darth Angrel and Darth Bara's as his superiors (as he hasn't challenged their authority).

So why does it take four people to kill him? Gameplay.
CE VIP

kraidy
02.01.2012 , 11:49 AM | #24
GL also created a laughable origin for the force, something that many EU writers, including Bioware ignored.

GenericallyNamed
02.01.2012 , 12:00 PM | #25
Not really arguing with it, but during that commentary was it obvious if Lucas was talking about fighting and force ability? Sidous controlled the galaxy; it's undeniable that he's the most powerful Sith in that respect. Having all the force power you want doesn't compare to ruling everything.

In terms of raw fighting power, which is what most people argue about, the movies don't show much (Or any save one short and questionable scene) of Sidous' strength. And of course the power creep of people becoming more and more grand as more stories are created makes things seen in a 70s (And even 200s) live action movie seem lack luster.

Nissin
02.01.2012 , 12:28 PM | #26
I feel that Sidious did not show his full potential in Revenge of the Sith. He almost seemed to be toying with Yoda using the force to project the discs at him and played possum with Windu waiting for Anakin to show up but taking a large risk making himself unarmed but was necessary to turn Anakin to the darkside because if he killed Windu then Anakin would have made it his goal to destroy Sidious which is the only person capable of this as Lucas has stated Anakin is 200% of Sidious in power potential but with the Vader outfit and injuries he is hindered to 80% of the Emperor's strength. So he gains a loyal servant that can't overthrow him in the future but is dominant over other jedis. Sidious also has what many Sith lack which is patience on an enormous scale to go through with this whole operation to become the Emperor after many years of planning and execution. Everyone was just a piece on a chess board for Sidious to play with.
Nissin
Something Novel

Ballindaroch
02.01.2012 , 03:37 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
I think I just settled that I don't. It's hilarious that people are take GL's word for it when it's plain as day that other characters in the EU are blatantly more powerful than Sidious on virtually every level.

Sidous is easily the most powerful Sith vis a vis the force, even considering the EU.

He can summon force storms un-aided, unlike other sith who required relics to accomplish the same feat.

He can mind wipe some 8 million people in a single instance.

He hid the presence of the Sith from the entire jedi order, including Yoda. Then pre-cog enough of the future to insure his plans came to fruition, often laying the foundation for a plan decades prior to conclusion.

He could prevent his spirit from dissolving into the force long enough to transfer his essence into another host.

He could devour planets.

While many other sith could perform one of these feats, (often times aided by relics) Palps is afaik the only sith lord able to perform all these feats un-aided.

Back on topic, I see malgus as an armored vader level Sith lord in terms of fighting power; without the pre-cognition and deep understanding of saber forms (vader was known to have mastered 3 forms prior to adapting his personal style to his suit; and that style incorporated all 7 forms).
It's not cheating, it's winning at all costs.

KingAres
02.01.2012 , 04:04 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelousWang View Post
Lore wise he is weaker then Lord Scourge, Darth Angrel and Darth Bara's, who is weaker than the Jedi Knight and weaker than the Sith Warrior. The Sith Inquisitor is likely stronger than him too.

The Emperor is the all powerful, only second to Sidious, lore wise.

"Emperors Voices" - puppet bodies the Emperor uses.

The Sith Warrior is strong enough to beat Darth Bara's who is strong enough to beat one of the Emperors "Voices"

The Jedi Knight is strong enough to beat another one of the the Emperors "Voices".

Lord Scourge is more powerful than the entire Dark Council combined. Which probably means the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight is too (though I would exclude Darth Nox).
So much wrong here... You're first statement lacks any evidence other than your opinion.

Secondly, Vitate is not "all powerful".

Thirdly, nothing has been shown to confirm that Baras is more powerful than the Emperor's voice. All Baras did is trick the Voice he I did not overpower him.

Finally, Scourge is not more powerful than the entire Dark Concil combined. That's a bunch of nonsense. All the codex claims is that even the most powerful council members avoid offending Scourge. Which doesn't even mean he is more powerful than them individually let lone collectively.

Anyway, Malgus is certainly one of he most powerful Sith of the time taking the combined prowess of the four greatest heroes or either side to take him down.
CE VIP

Luckmann
02.01.2012 , 04:12 PM | #29
Sidous is easily the most powerful Sith vis a vis the force, even considering the EU.

He can summon force storms un-aided, unlike other sith who required relics to accomplish the same feat.

He can mind wipe some 8 million people in a single instance.

He hid the presence of the Sith from the entire jedi order, including Yoda. Then pre-cog enough of the future to insure his plans came to fruition, often laying the foundation for a plan decades prior to conclusion.

He could prevent his spirit from dissolving into the force long enough to transfer his essence into another host.

He could devour planets.

While many other sith could perform one of these feats, (often times aided by relics) Palps is afaik the only sith lord able to perform all these feats un-aided.

Back on topic, I see malgus as an armored vader level Sith lord in terms of fighting power; without the pre-cognition and deep understanding of saber forms (vader was known to have mastered 3 forms prior to adapting his personal style to his suit; and that style incorporated all 7 forms).
Spoiler
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

IvamAkorahil
02.01.2012 , 05:01 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by mitigated View Post
I have been very intrigued by his character since playing the game, and have read as many articles as I can pull up on the net. I am by no means a lore junkie and have only read a few of the EU books, nothing on the Old Republic.

One of the articles I read on him stated something along the lines of him having become so powerful in his hatred that it was like he was the eye of calm in the center of hatred within the dark side... to me that's pretty damn wicked, and we have seen him handle a lot of Jedi like ragdolls, so for those who know more, how strong is he?
just an ordinary sith, nothing more
Rule through the fear of force rather than through force itself.