Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Marauder guidance/optimization for those struggling

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Marauder guidance/optimization for those struggling

Sayc
02.01.2012 , 02:23 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by OniGanon View Post
I'm a bit confused as to why Obfuscate would only work on weapon damage. Tech/Force has an Accuracy rating, and it can be increased with Accuracy gear, so why wouldn't Obfuscate be able to lower it?
Because it just...doesn't? Obfuscate only lowers melee/ranged accuracy. Thats really an odd question, i dunno how to better answer it as it is worded.

Hellion_X
02.01.2012 , 05:12 AM | #22
Very nice post Pappus. I learned some tricks I did not know about, like the rage predation talent haha. I strictly play Annihilation just like you though, but I will have to remember that if I ever mess with Rage again! I have 3/5 BM gear, both BM weapons and of course the implants/ear. I also have changed my enhancements to crit/surge. I feel like I am a master of this class and needless to say rip people apart in warzone, 1v1 (hell, even a lot of 1v2 we can destroy) and Ilum. Easily the strongest 1v1 class in this game.

I have a question for you if you don't mind answering, would like your opinion. My talent tree build is very similar to yours. Here is mine:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRrorcGzZG0d.1

It is built around major rage production and mobility. Anyways, my question is about Hemorrhage. You have 0 points in it, why is that? Do you feel the 6% damage increase of bleeds is not worth 3 points or that the 6% damage is not a very big damage increase? I have been debating whether to put those 3 points into Phantom and the last point making 2/2 for Defensive Roll increasing survivability a lot, but the damage whore inside me has kept me from doing that.

Thanks and again, very helpful and informative post!

Pappus
02.01.2012 , 07:06 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Hellion_X View Post
Very nice post Pappus. I learned some tricks I did not know about, like the rage predation talent haha. I strictly play Annihilation just like you though, but I will have to remember that if I ever mess with Rage again! I have 3/5 BM gear, both BM weapons and of course the implants/ear. I also have changed my enhancements to crit/surge. I feel like I am a master of this class and needless to say rip people apart in warzone, 1v1 (hell, even a lot of 1v2 we can destroy) and Ilum. Easily the strongest 1v1 class in this game.

I have a question for you if you don't mind answering, would like your opinion. My talent tree build is very similar to yours. Here is mine:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRrorcGzZG0d.1

It is built around major rage production and mobility. Anyways, my question is about Hemorrhage. You have 0 points in it, why is that? Do you feel the 6% damage increase of bleeds is not worth 3 points or that the 6% damage is not a very big damage increase? I have been debating whether to put those 3 points into Phantom and the last point making 2/2 for Defensive Roll increasing survivability a lot, but the damage whore inside me has kept me from doing that.

Thanks and again, very helpful and informative post!
Yes I had a hard time doing this the first time also, but I wrapped my head around it.

Although we are capable as annihilate of some very impressive burst we aren't designed that way. For us to get the burst going - stars really have to align, which basically means that our damage priority is not the first thing we go after especially not in a selfhealing tree.

In my gear deadly saber is 1800 over 6 if triple stacked and rupture is 1254 over 6. So a 6% incease would net me 106 over 6 and 75 over 6 dmg inrease. This is basically not worth it to me for 3 full skillpoints.

Unfortunately this will be changed in an upcoming patch, because the talent Bleedout actually gives us 30% dmg at all times, which will then be transfered into Hemorrhage.

So later we might end up having to put points into hemorrhage, but even then, properly geared I would end up decreasing pulverize by 1 and malice by 2, because phantom, ferocity, empowerment are just too kick *** to simply pass on it.

In the end phantom dominates all other talens, because there are those times you will get pulled or kicked into fire or acid and with phantom you are immung to that, which is insane.

However this is my idea of the annihilation spec - survive to keep dealing dmg. So everything that boosts my survivability goes first for me.

Pappus
02.01.2012 , 07:10 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Exertim View Post
Ahh, I see. There is a semi workaround, though - if you run with a premade group for HM FPs and everyone is geared, just grab the Columi class tokens that have Power/Surge on them (e.g. Agent/Smuggler helm) and just steal the enchants that way.

Those that do Operations will also find a level 58 version of Power/Surge enchants from the Bounty Hunter fight in HM/NMM Karagga's Palace. Using these two methods, I've been been dumping my crit rating in exchange for power whenever I go above 30% unbuffed.
Great enchantment you found there and although it takes some serious time to get those pieces via tokens it certainly is a way.

Regarding the implant once more though, the columni with augment is still superior to rakata and to emphasize again, bind on equip. While Rakata certainly is good aswell I even love the defense rating on my implants because it will give me 3-4% parry/deflect, of course this isn't madness or whatever but there is really no drawback getting it when you get your most beloved surge in a good amount right with it.

OniGanon
02.01.2012 , 10:16 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Sayc View Post
Because it just...doesn't? Obfuscate only lowers melee/ranged accuracy. Thats really an odd question, i dunno how to better answer it as it is worded.
NVM, reading failure. Never noticed Obfuscate tooltip specifies ranged/melee rather than just all Accuracy.

Hoseman
02.01.2012 , 10:31 AM | #26
is there a summary here somewhere? 2 huge posts.... way too long to read.
Proud Officer and Raid Leader of Servus Regnum

-Darth Natsu Dragneel

Pappus
02.01.2012 , 11:05 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
is there a summary here somewhere? 2 huge posts.... way too long to read.
Real in-depth guides Are quite large.

However this project isnt finished so maybe, when the section about marauder vs class X is done there might be enough condensed info for you right there.

threas
02.01.2012 , 02:24 PM | #28
I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that pve gear is superior for pvp still. Full BM gets you what? 14% more damage done, 14% less damage taken, 14% more healing? is pve gear THAT much better that i can swing the fight more than all three of those?

Hoseman
02.01.2012 , 02:27 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Pappus View Post
Real in-depth guides Are quite large.

However this project isnt finished so maybe, when the section about marauder vs class X is done there might be enough condensed info for you right there.
Ok thanks. I would also request maybe creating a thread, reserving reply posts, seperating each portion of your post in sections that way you can create an index / table of contents linking to each section.

Hopefully we can get some hard numbers in here soon when they allow us damage meters.
Proud Officer and Raid Leader of Servus Regnum

-Darth Natsu Dragneel

Hellion_X
02.01.2012 , 02:37 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Pappus View Post
Yes I had a hard time doing this the first time also, but I wrapped my head around it.

Although we are capable as annihilate of some very impressive burst we aren't designed that way. For us to get the burst going - stars really have to align, which basically means that our damage priority is not the first thing we go after especially not in a selfhealing tree.

In my gear deadly saber is 1800 over 6 if triple stacked and rupture is 1254 over 6. So a 6% incease would net me 106 over 6 and 75 over 6 dmg inrease. This is basically not worth it to me for 3 full skillpoints.

Unfortunately this will be changed in an upcoming patch, because the talent Bleedout actually gives us 30% dmg at all times, which will then be transfered into Hemorrhage.

So later we might end up having to put points into hemorrhage, but even then, properly geared I would end up decreasing pulverize by 1 and malice by 2, because phantom, ferocity, empowerment are just too kick *** to simply pass on it.

In the end phantom dominates all other talens, because there are those times you will get pulled or kicked into fire or acid and with phantom you are immung to that, which is insane.

However this is my idea of the annihilation spec - survive to keep dealing dmg. So everything that boosts my survivability goes first for me.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try taking the points out of Hemorrhage and getting Phantom. I know Phantom kicks *** in PvE too and I use the same build for operations. I'll probably end up loving it and forget about the small overall damage increase on the warzone scoreboard.

I thought Bleedout currently gives us 30% more damage at all times because of a bug and they are going to fix it to return to 30% more crit damage from DoTs??? You have me a little confused there, you think we might need Hemorrhage after it returns to 30% more crit damage?

Also, I think taking a point out of Pulverize is a bad idea. That talent is so underrated, it is amazing and the extra 11/22% chance to refresh Rupture cd is godly. Being able to Rupture again as soon as the last tick goes off is HUGE, partly why my damage is so ridiculous in PvE and as you mentioned before in PvP, reapplying that slow is incredible.