Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Marauder guidance/optimization for those struggling

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Marauder guidance/optimization for those struggling

Kodokai
01.31.2012 , 09:18 PM | #11
Well you should really make it spec related guide. Stacking surge over power is blergh as Annie or so ive been told.

Quote: Originally Posted by RG_jhanlec View Post
There is a huge diminishing return after 8% or so expertise. A lot of people have the minimum amount of gear with stats they prefer for spec up to 8% and then pve gear for the rest to get the bigger stats out of gear.

Sorry I cant like the posts on it, but its been talked about a bit the last 2 days on both pvp and some class forums.
Rofl you serious? 8%?

Scarecrow
Basilisk Droid

Exertim
01.31.2012 , 09:41 PM | #12
What? Surge is better than Power for Annihilation until softcap unless the stat weights have changed since I last looked (or they're somehow different for PvP). I only started stacking power when I hit the softcaps for crit/surge in PvE.
Sakarai - 50 Jedi Sentinel
Canderous Ordo

GunnerB
01.31.2012 , 09:47 PM | #13
I run almost the same spec, but only 1 point in ferocity and 3 in malice. Great spec, good versatility.

Great post, and agree with everything you put in. The min/max PvE gear will be better than Champ gear.

Pappus
01.31.2012 , 11:55 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Exertim View Post
Why not just go for the Rakata implants instead of wasting tons of Alien Cubes trying to crit a Columi one? You lose 30 Strength, 12 Surge rating, and 68 Defense but gain 26 Endurance, and 102 Crit rating - not to mention the Rakata one is a lot easier to obtain.

My PvP set is pretty close to what the OP's ideal stats are, except I only have 17.5k HP rather than 20k. I'm sitting at 435.1 bonus damage, 30% crit, and 93.10% surge (unbuffed aside from Biochem stim) and yeah it's an absolute blast plowing through people in Warzones. I have my Champion set (minus boots) but I don't really even use it anymore - I just go full PvE and haven't seen any issues with survivability. I'll most likely swap to BM gear once I hit rank 60 and grab enough Expertise for 8%, but that's far in the future at the moment.
Because we have a ******** of crit already and get it with our surge modding yet again.

As an example if I want to have surge on my boots, I will also get 34 crit, there is just no workaround. Add mainstat increase on top of it and you will have a ton of crit already and the DR on it is kinda unforgiving so, I would suggest getting Columni War Leaders package with a crit and you don't even need to craft it yourself it is bind on equip so check your GTN for it, but be ready to pay around 750k-1mil + another ~150k for the augment.

Surge is basically something you want on all classes and specs to around 85%. The only thing you are really missing out on is either accuracy or alacracity, which for pretty much all classes sucks balls, okay maybe not TM spammers I don't know if they can get great results with alacracity, but they will also do great with 85% surge I suppose.

The reason this guide mainly revolves around annihilation is, because that is the spec I have played the most. I do know the in's and out's of the other specs, while the damage might be comparable or even better in some situations the selfheal is borderline OP.

I mean every rupture I pull out with my stats (32% crit buffed, +15% critchance due to stance +4% with malice) are 51% critchance on bleeding. Therefor when I rupture someone it will tick 6 times and it will heal me for 1k, each rupture and deadly saber for even more if you assume 8 ticks until it drops, which most of the time it will be if you go from 1 to 3 will heal me for 1280 and I am a long shot from my optimal build.

Which is again a reason to go with pulverize, because every rupture is another 1k on my bar.

What I want to say is, that you engage where you want and you will always find people, that are already attacked so you jump them get your ticks off and have more HP then when you started the fight. In the end you do that 2-3 times and are full again, which is something great an no other spec offers that. I really hate going to the sidelanes and channel my hatred so to speak-

It also gives you the ability to bait people into ridiculous kills e.g. starting against a TM or sorc with 10% life and because you are so low they don't engage correctly and die to you leaving the fight with 30%... (Beware people get very mad very quickly and will chase you in the following BG's )

Most of the sorcs I kill that way I LoS them and, because I am so low they will force speed to me just to cast force lightning in my face which, but I immediately start of with UR, berserk, rupture and deadly saber, next spell is countered and well they drop really quick, when they are in close combat with you.

However where I lack routine you people of carnage and rage come forward and help out with real tricks of the trade here

Pappus
02.01.2012 , 12:07 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabbathius View Post
OP,

Really nice writeup.

But one thing to be aware of - you assume a lot of things. Like Assassins, for example. You assume they're Deception. What if he's Darkness spec? Totally different beast. He'll mostly use Shocks and Force Lightning, as well as Wither and Discharge debuff.
Darkness still does the same thing but instead of voltaic he will thrash you and below 30% He will still try to execute you.

Against wither/discharge you can't do much anyway and force lightning will be interrupted especially the third one.

Hupepak
02.01.2012 , 01:01 AM | #16
Hey, can you explain again how to use Force camo as another interrupt??

getdownsb
02.01.2012 , 01:10 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Hupepak View Post
Hey, can you explain again how to use Force camo as another interrupt??
If someone is casting on you and you use camo it cancels the cast (interrupt). You're then un-targetable for 4 seconds, at which time you will have your normal interrupt off CD.
Rincon
Helm of Graush

Hupepak
02.01.2012 , 01:12 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by getdownsb View Post
If someone is casting on you and you use camo it cancels the cast (interrupt). You're then un-targetable for 4 seconds, at which time you will have your normal interrupt off CD.
whoa thanks

could you also explain this quote to me "vs Sorcs: After the first dot on you to cancel second dot into deathfield + force lightning or essentially their burst."

edit: nvm got it

Exertim
02.01.2012 , 01:41 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Pappus View Post
Because we have a ******** of crit already and get it with our surge modding yet again.

As an example if I want to have surge on my boots, I will also get 34 crit, there is just no workaround. Add mainstat increase on top of it and you will have a ton of crit already and the DR on it is kinda unforgiving so, I would suggest getting Columni War Leaders package with a crit and you don't even need to craft it yourself it is bind on equip so check your GTN for it, but be ready to pay around 750k-1mil + another ~150k for the augment.
Ahh, I see. There is a semi workaround, though - if you run with a premade group for HM FPs and everyone is geared, just grab the Columi class tokens that have Power/Surge on them (e.g. Agent/Smuggler helm) and just steal the enchants that way.

Those that do Operations will also find a level 58 version of Power/Surge enchants from the Bounty Hunter fight in HM/NMM Karagga's Palace. Using these two methods, I've been been dumping my crit rating in exchange for power whenever I go above 30% unbuffed.
Sakarai - 50 Jedi Sentinel
Canderous Ordo

OniGanon
02.01.2012 , 02:16 AM | #20
I'm a bit confused as to why Obfuscate would only work on weapon damage. Tech/Force has an Accuracy rating, and it can be increased with Accuracy gear, so why wouldn't Obfuscate be able to lower it?