Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Enrage, and why it's a terrible idea

Kabutopps
02.01.2012 , 06:20 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Jest View Post
Here's the thing.. who cares about stacking tanks and healers? Why is that intrinsically a bad thing? Designers already design a ton of fights that make it advantageous to bring Ranged over Melee and they don't have a problem with that.

There are plenty of design decisions that can be made to bring a challenge to the players without involving an Enrage. Enrage really is a short cut in an encounter design. Especially in this game where the different difficulty levels don't even add different mechanics. Same fights with a shorter enrage time and buffed dmg and hp.

All that being said.. the timers in this game really aren't troublesome. But the OP's overall point is valid in that it's a lazy design decision.
No there isn't. You need some sort of enrage, otherwise it wouldn't matter how sloppy you were on the encounter as you could just outlast it. The enrage timers in this game aren't even that bad, not to mention most, if not all of them simply give the boss 200% damage. For a lot of encounters that doesn't even mean an instant wipe, you can still fight through it, it just makes it more difficult.

You need some sort of mechanic to punish sloppy play. You can't take too long for a boss, otherwise people would just stack 1 tank, 7 healers, or whatever ridiculous combination you can think of and outlast every single fight with little to no effort. It is unfortunately a needed but very simple approach to a very big problem. Call it lazy or whatever you want but regardless, it is necessary. Unless you can come up with a good solution to solve that very big problem I wouldn't complain.

Daovin
02.01.2012 , 06:33 PM | #22
Due to the nearly unlimited energy/mechanics possesed by healers, enrages are needed.
"They come, marching, believing themselves equal to the army of ancients that chained me. But I am not of their time."
―The Infernal One

Hizoka
02.01.2012 , 06:39 PM | #23
Enrage times are great, it keeps bad players out of raids. Just because its there doesn't mean everyone should be able to clear it. Even the hard mode enrage timers can be met with only 2 good DPS in an 8m raid.

The people who do not want enrage timers are the people who lack the skill to play well enough to beat them. Its not about gear its about playing your class correctly.

Daemondred
02.01.2012 , 06:43 PM | #24
Wait, this game has enrage timers? I seriously haven't encountered one ... ever ... not even once. We've cleared every HM FP repeatedly and never seen one. Ever. Not even early on when we were running them in blues/moddable 50 gear. We never even bothered to run False Emp or Kaon on normal and just went straight to hard and cleared it first shot without any difficulty. I really just don't understand how people can run into enrage issues unless people are just simply not playing well.

This is one reason we really need some form of damage meter. I'd be ragingly upset if I pugged something and we wiped to an enrage timer and I couldn't see which DPS was slacking off.

And just before I hear this bad excuse again, no being melee DPS doesn't mean you hit enrage timers either. I play a Mara and while I agree most mechanics are biased against us as melee it's still never been a factor that caused us to hit enrage.

In short ... l2p. : /

Rabix
02.01.2012 , 06:45 PM | #25
saying it's not about gear is just silly,

yes, there's a lot of skill involved, but go beat nightmare bonethrasher with level 40 greens -_-

urgod
02.01.2012 , 06:47 PM | #26
another QQ enrage thread how original, how about posting in the other 1000+ threads about this, and quit spamming the forums.

XcSDeadDeer
02.01.2012 , 07:16 PM | #27
The only time i've had Enrage timers be a problem for me was when D7 bugs on hard modes. Other than that, it hasnt been a problem. I've seen a boss enrage twice, and we still beat him during his enrage timer.

Q: Is there an enrage on normal modes? Cause i've never seen it
Kryatt Dragon since 12/14/2011
Level 50 Powertech Alors-Iakoth at the service to the highest bidder

Genweas
02.01.2012 , 08:16 PM | #28
I don't mind the enrage timers but I understand your frustration. I feel that if enrage timers are in the game, then dps meters and combat logs should be implemented with them. That will give your group the tools they need to strengthen their weaknesses and overcome the timers. Knowing that there is a kink somewhere in the dps isn't enough. It is unfair to expect the dps to beat a timer while dps'ing blind. Then again, many people have concerns about dps meters. I like them, although I have seen the problems they can present with raging elitists that are bent on their own legacy rather than improving the group as a whole. Good luck with your guild's progression.
Hey Honey, Early Access is coming up so I'm gonna need you to pick me up some Hot Pockets and a pack of Depends. -Inspired by E.D.G.E.R.W.A.L.K.E.R, Texas Estranger

Vastian
02.01.2012 , 09:26 PM | #29
I love the guy that said he can't get a HM done even after he studied multiple guides to get his class's rotation down.

I didn't need a guide to make my rotation, I played my class, learned my abilities and even did the math. My rotation may not be the 100% perfect one, but at least I made it myself. I also don't have problems pug'ing HM's.

We have had issue, sometimes, with a fresh 50 guildie having bad gear, bad spec, or bad rotation holding us back or slowing us down. We tell them they need to examine their rotation and show them exactly where to get gear or mods to fill glaring holes. Once they do that, they have no problem holding their own.

We've hit enrage on the last boss of HM BT with one of these people, and even with their spec being off, gear being full of holes (no relics, green mods, level 30'ish mods) we kept at it and beat the boss even while enraged.

If you can't carry 1 bad through an instance, you might be the one they're trying to carry.
-V
Versus Terminus
Dark Side for life

Shivus
02.01.2012 , 09:34 PM | #30
This is why I like playing a tank. I just have to worry about positioning, mechanics, and going through my rotation to hold aggro. The DPS have the burden of ripping through a boss before the enrage timer hits.

Hard mode kaon bonus boss is far more difficult than downing most hard mode bosses with rage timers, and he doesn't even have an enrage timer. It's a great metric for progression.