Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Enrage, and why it's a terrible idea


XAubrey's Avatar


XAubrey
01.31.2012 , 06:02 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaonis View Post
It's an absolutely cheap and lazy game design and needs some sort of a fix.
+1 for that comment.

In addition, the enrage timer forces the group to have a certain composition. You MUST have two dps, and if you're a l88t skilled player you'll do a gear check before you enter the zone (the unskilled players do not do a gear check). What is wrong with two tanks, a healer, and a dps doing a hard mode? But no, that won't work, not with one dps, due to the enrage timer.

PharkinBastage's Avatar


PharkinBastage
01.31.2012 , 06:13 PM | #12
I was going to post some witty insult or something directed at the enrage timer QQ, but then I realized we're dealing with the I pay 14.99 crowd. So it's pretty much pointless to argue. Enrage timers are there to insure you know *** you're doing, and not taking 45 mins with 6 tanks 2 healers EZ moding the boss. Fabricator is less about dps and more about execution. If you don't have the puzzled solved by 3-4 stacks each time, you will wipe. That's like 30-40 seconds. With 2 people doing it, that's not even a question how how much movement it takes, it's can you play tic tact toe.

Obviously you guys didn't.

HellFlame's Avatar


HellFlame
01.31.2012 , 06:22 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by XAubrey View Post
+1 for that comment.

In addition, the enrage timer forces the group to have a certain composition. You MUST have two dps, and if you're a l88t skilled player you'll do a gear check before you enter the zone (the unskilled players do not do a gear check). What is wrong with two tanks, a healer, and a dps doing a hard mode? But no, that won't work, not with one dps, due to the enrage timer.
i did bt (Black Talon) HM (Hard Mode) with a friend and 2 companions.
I did the last boss on Boarding Party HM with companion and 3 other players.

You can do a lot with companion... its just the players. OK, my companion is columi/rakata geared but oh well...

BTW It "forces" you to use the best composition..

The problem is just people dont think about what they are doing obviously... they just run in and try to nuke the boss which obviously doesnt work sometimes...

Carbonated's Avatar


Carbonated
01.31.2012 , 06:30 PM | #14
Some of the enrage timers have gone off and we have still killed them. some enrage and wipe.

Its a needed mechanic because if you take out the enrage timer you could just stack a heap of healers and take your time.
I used to be Part of the community But the aussie dollar is strong with this one.

Jest's Avatar


Jest
01.31.2012 , 06:36 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Merraith View Post
The enrage timers aren't tuned tightly at all...and it absolutely doesn't have more to do with gear versus skill. Gear helps certainly, but smart players will know how they can put out more damage if they need after doing the fight a few times.

Enrage is a good idea, so you don't see a common raiding tactic of a tank and a bunch of healers to eventually just survive until it dies.
Here's the thing.. who cares about stacking tanks and healers? Why is that intrinsically a bad thing? Designers already design a ton of fights that make it advantageous to bring Ranged over Melee and they don't have a problem with that.

There are plenty of design decisions that can be made to bring a challenge to the players without involving an Enrage. Enrage really is a short cut in an encounter design. Especially in this game where the different difficulty levels don't even add different mechanics. Same fights with a shorter enrage time and buffed dmg and hp.


All that being said.. the timers in this game really aren't troublesome. But the OP's overall point is valid in that it's a lazy design decision.

Exertim's Avatar


Exertim
01.31.2012 , 06:42 PM | #16
The fact that people are hitting enrage timers in a game where enrage timers are so loosely tuned says a lot. What happened to gamers improving themselves rather than whining on a forum? The current gen "gamers" are hilariously pathetic.
Sakarai - 50 Jedi Sentinel
Canderous Ordo

Shzwinnng's Avatar


Shzwinnng
01.31.2012 , 06:46 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MorbidAri View Post
Enrage timers weed out auto-attacking baddies from getting Rakkata gear. So your complaining that you can't auto-attack your way into BiS gear? Holy baddie first world problems batman!

Enrages are fine. They make you have to not suck at the game. Something we should all be doing. Keep on it and you wont even know there are enrages.
There is no auto-attack function in this game... But only good players would know that

Megasuperb's Avatar


Megasuperb
01.31.2012 , 08:03 PM | #18
There certainly is a lot of half-arsed replies in this thread.

The OP never said that we should remove enrage timers and that's that. There needs to be more of a challenge, because as it stands most fights are easy as hell to figure out in terms of strategy, but yet you have this ridiculous enrage timer to factor in which just reeks of laziness.

The stupid enrage timers are the reason I have cancelled my sub. They're way too insanely harsh. And before you say "lol u ned 2 play betar and get good geer", I have my class rotation down to a T after reading and studying multiple guides, and have the best possible gear I can get without running HM's (full orange gear with lvl 50-51 epic mods), and yet I just CAN'T progress because PuG's keep wiping on these ridiculous enrages. I've attempted to run at least 6-7 HM instances and we ALWAYS wipe on the 1st or 2nd bosses. I can't go with my guild either because most haven't even hit 50, and i loathe PvP. So I'm pretty much stuck in a deadlock.

The OP was right in saying that it spawns rampant elitism that already made me die on the inside during the WoW days. I've already been turned down because all of the stupid gearchecks and my "gear was lacking" even though I can't get any better gear without running HM's - so how the hell am I supposed to get said gear?

Mind you, I WANT the game to be challenging, but not so much so that the game is practically cheating.

JSusie's Avatar


JSusie
01.31.2012 , 08:22 PM | #19
I agree the enrage timers current implementation is flawed.


But look at it this way. Right now there are literally zero 1shot mechanics in any of the operations. Soa sort of does, but not really. If there were no hard enrages people would just bring 4 healers and have next to no chance of wiping on anything.
Moonshine

Dukibritches's Avatar


Dukibritches
02.01.2012 , 06:12 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Megasuperb View Post
There certainly is a lot of half-arsed replies in this thread.

The OP never said that we should remove enrage timers and that's that. There needs to be more of a challenge, because as it stands most fights are easy as hell to figure out in terms of strategy, but yet you have this ridiculous enrage timer to factor in which just reeks of laziness.

The stupid enrage timers are the reason I have cancelled my sub. They're way too insanely harsh. And before you say "lol u ned 2 play betar and get good geer", I have my class rotation down to a T after reading and studying multiple guides, and have the best possible gear I can get without running HM's (full orange gear with lvl 50-51 epic mods), and yet I just CAN'T progress because PuG's keep wiping on these ridiculous enrages. I've attempted to run at least 6-7 HM instances and we ALWAYS wipe on the 1st or 2nd bosses. I can't go with my guild either because most haven't even hit 50, and i loathe PvP. So I'm pretty much stuck in a deadlock.

The OP was right in saying that it spawns rampant elitism that already made me die on the inside during the WoW days. I've already been turned down because all of the stupid gearchecks and my "gear was lacking" even though I can't get any better gear without running HM's - so how the hell am I supposed to get said gear?

Mind you, I WANT the game to be challenging, but not so much so that the game is practically cheating.
I just dont understand this. I'm not going to say learn to play because thats not constructive, but there has to be something wrong if you are hitting enrages in all the Hard Modes you participate in. Either the day I dinged 50 or the day after I was running HM BT without any issues. The last boss was hitting enrage I believe but we always manage to kill her before the last person got one shotted. All I did before running HM's was finish my Corellia missions and spent the commendations on some better gear than my leveling gear. Then I proceeded to do some dailies on Ilum and buy some armoring and a hilt from the vendor out there for daily commendations. From there me and some other people with equivalent gear started running Hard Mode FP's beginning with HM BT and havent had any trouble since. Seriously there are plenty of places outside of HM's to upgrade your gear. Will it take a couple of days of doing dailies? Yes. But what did you expect, to ding 50 and jump right into HM's? I'm sure some people will say they did this, but frankly it isnt true unless you were being carried. Another thing I'll point out, if you run some HM FP's and dont clear them the first time, so what? At least u had a chance to get better gear from some of the bosses and you can try to clear again the next day. I just think some people are impatient and feel they should be carried or have things handed to them.