Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvE Basics Guide: AKA: "Help! Everything is Killing Me! Why is this game so hard???"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
PvE Basics Guide: AKA: "Help! Everything is Killing Me! Why is this game so hard???"

dosadnik
02.15.2012 , 10:22 AM | #21
My eyes! Didn't read it all but it looks pretty good. But can you please change that red to some other color? I guess if others don't agree then leave it, but just consider it. Cheers!

matthiaskotor
02.15.2012 , 12:20 PM | #22
Thanks for all the constructive feedback. Keep it coming! I'll try to incorporate as much of it as I can. I've been out of town over the weekend, but I should be doing some updates soon.

I definitely want to rework the combat section. I thought about splitting it on solo/group play, but in SWTOR you are almost always in a "group" with your companion. I may take another look at that, though.

I'll also see if I can find any more pleasing colors for the section headers. It has to be something bright to stand out on the dark forum bg, though.

ME_DIC
02.16.2012 , 12:12 PM | #23
very good written Thanks so much for your efforts

TheIronMonkey
02.16.2012 , 02:38 PM | #24
Companion work when doing solo on PvE probably deserves its own space. Unlike humans, you have to control your companion, turn AoE on and off, signal which target to go for first, etc. I play a healer so my companion of choice is a dps I send in first and help with the attack and switch to heal as needed. I also choose her targets and control CC myself, etc. The same strategies apply, but you have to pay attention to make sure they focus on what you want.

Another area that might help PvE players who die a lot if what to carry in your skill bar and where. A review of your skill bar every few levels will assure you use new skills you recently gained, or maybe remove skills you don't really use. I also group skills together when I see I use them together frequently so they are close to each other, easier to 1-2-3-4 in sequences.

I moved to the right bar the speeder, bufs and things I apply out of combat or just before combat, and keep on the center bar the stuff I need available int he heat of battle so I focus my view front and center.

I tell you, if I see players die a lot is usually not been careful of agro. Easy to get overwhelmed, patrols come up behind you, or you can get forced pushed into another agro bubble and complicate your situation. Patience is a virtue.

Great job on the guide.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

Maranea
02.16.2012 , 02:51 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Owsley View Post
Great guide.

Augments also come from Slicer missions.
Augments come from slicing only.

Guide looks nice, hopefully I have some time to read it soon.

PreyNifall
02.17.2012 , 02:45 AM | #26
Thanks

matthiaskotor
02.23.2012 , 01:26 AM | #27
Rejiggered the combat section into basics/solo/group, added a few more things throughout, minor cleanup. (Advice on group content coming soon!)

StimBoredom
04.10.2012 , 01:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by matthiaskotor View Post
Bump for feedback, suggestions, and/or getting put in the sticky guides thread. :-)

More updates coming soon!
I think this is an outstanding guide. As a relatively new player who is always looking to improve and make sure that I understand the game, I found it to be tremendously helpful...thanks to the OP.

imehiel
01.07.2013 , 07:29 AM | #29
This is absolutely amazing. All the information is presented perfectly well, I found this extremely useful, thank you.

TheIronMonkey
01.07.2013 , 11:20 AM | #30
Yo know, some might jump on you for reviving an old thread. But I think this kind of info is very valuable, specially these days that we have a lot of new people in the game. I don't want them to get frustrated and leave, I want them to like it, stay, and make our community larger. Because that supports the game.

Older players need to learn to be more accepting and guiding new players to learn and grow. We are all there once, and then we learn. I have been here at SWTOR for a year and yet still consider myself learning. Thanks to the Op and others like him/her who take the time to write guides that help others grow. Every tip is valuable.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...