Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High Ping on European Servers due to routing issue

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
High Ping on European Servers due to routing issue

badTasteee
12.15.2011 , 04:36 AM | #1
Ever since I started playing SWTOR I noticed unusual high pings (150ms) compared to other MMOs so I ran a tracert to the European SWTOR server to find out what's causing it. Without giving away any details (I don't want to risk getting banned), but the game data is being routed over the United States East Coast even though I am located in Europe.

I then tried out a friends Internet Connection who's using the same ISP I have and suffice to say that his ping was perfectly normal considering the servers are located in the UK. I already called my ISP and according to them there is nothing they can do do fix this. I also contacted Bioware/EA support and asked them for help.

Anyone know what could be causing this?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
'Johann Wolfgang von Goethe'

Demonicon
12.15.2011 , 04:41 AM | #2
Yes, ISPs do what is called 'traffic shaping' which basically means that they will direct traffic to routes that work best for them. In some cases this can hamper your connection though.

You can read more about this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping

Basically, you will have to contact your ISP if you want this to be changed. This problem occurs almost everytime a new MMO releases and it takes time for ISPs to adjust their routing to cope with the incresed traffic from and to the new destination.

edit: wording

Nubacat
12.15.2011 , 05:06 AM | #3
150MS is not a terrible ping tho, and the game would still be perfectly playable.
If your familiar with wow, there was a download for that called Leatrix Latency Fix (it doesn't just work for wow), i'd recommend researching that, and see if it helps a little bit.

Leadlian
12.15.2011 , 05:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by badTasteee View Post
Ever since I started playing SWTOR I noticed unusual high pings (150ms) compared to other MMOs so I ran a tracert to the European SWTOR server to find out what's causing it. Without giving away any details (I don't want to risk getting banned), but the game data is being routed over the United States East Coast even though I am located in Europe.

I then tried out a friends Internet Connection who's using the same ISP I have and suffice to say that his ping was perfectly normal considering the servers are located in the UK. I already called my ISP and according to them there is nothing they can do do fix this. I also contacted Bioware/EA support and asked them for help.

Anyone know what could be causing this?
The EU servers are actually in Ireland.

I would expect your ISP to fix things eventually. There is something they can do to fix this - it's just that the dude on the phone can't. Until then, I'd say that 150ms is perfectly playable.

Sklendath
12.15.2011 , 05:21 AM | #5
i have the same problem. In stres-beta and next beta, my ping was 60 on EU and 150 on US servers. Now i have 150 on EU, US i didnt try