Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please make tank stats work in PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Please make tank stats work in PVP

Husanak
01.30.2012 , 05:14 PM | #11
Lets be honest....

Bio has this odd idea that every class should almost equal out in terms of DPS... the only thing that changes in there vision... is Damage Cycles. Meaning Op is Front loaded Assassin is back loaded... Merc is mostly flat... ect. However if they are all speced for DPS they should about equal out as far as potential DPS goes. (This is Bios vision for TOR PvP).

Now assuming that is the way they intend it too stay... in NO way can the games tanks become super tanks in PvP... unless they take a massive dmg reduction.

goulet
01.30.2012 , 05:15 PM | #12
defensive bonuses dont apply to reduce any of the damage transferred by guard, i can't put guard on someone and get an absorb or defense proc that causes me to take any less damage then the person guarded receives. Nor is it lessened by armor.

but havent they said their looking into defensive contribution particularly for tank types in pvp?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to type on your keyboard and remove all doubt."

olagaton
01.30.2012 , 05:15 PM | #13
I second the OP. Tanking/damage sponge should be as valid a role as a DPSer or Healer.

In addition, while I think that tanking should not be overpowered, I do feel that a defensive stacked build should function just as effectively as a max spec'd DPS class or Healer class. DPS classes do not have a cap on their DPS, with respect to the quality of their weapon. Tank classes should have a reasonably high cap on their potential defensive capabilities (not 100%, but fairly high), given the sacrifice to other stats and DPS they are giving up to obtain such. That is a rather fair request given that some of the highest DPS/healer classes have high DPS, with very little sacrifice to their survivability.

Makar
01.30.2012 , 05:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by goulet View Post
but havent they said their looking into defensive contribution particularly for tank types in pvp?
Not that I've seen.
Squadron 238 Tester

savionen
01.30.2012 , 05:16 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Lets be honest....

Bio has this odd idea that every class should almost equal out in terms of DPS... the only thing that changes in there vision... is Damage Cycles. Meaning Op is Front loaded Assassin is back loaded... Merc is mostly flat... ect. However if they are all speced for DPS they should about equal out as far as potential DPS goes. (This is Bios vision for TOR PvP).

Now assuming that is the way they intend it too stay... in NO way can the games tanks become super tanks in PvP... unless they take a massive dmg reduction.
Tanks really don't do that much damage in PvP, well, in tank-spec and with tank-gear that is.

Right now there's no reason to wear tank gear in PvP, so 90% of the time you see someone guarding someone else they're not really a tank. With a DPS spec I usually get closer to 350k damage, tank spec w/ tank gear it's closer to 150k.

getdownsb
01.30.2012 , 05:22 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Taunque View Post
Guard doesn't mitigate any damage on the tank. 2 dps can still burn down a tank even if the healer manages to get a few heals off between cc's.

The only function Guard serves is that it changes the kill order from "healer-dps-tank" to "tank-healer-dps." Working as intended. Yukishiro simply can't wrap his head around this concept so he goes on an on about it in every thread about Guard. Ignore him.
I don't know what you or most of the people in this thread are smoking but even though the "shield" for tanks only applies to non-tech/force/elemental attacks the tanks are still significantly more difficult to kill then non-tanks. Also, if you're killing people in the order of tank > healer > dps you have some seriously terrible healers floating around. A tank with a free casting healer will lol through several people as the DPS kills them all.
Rincon
Helm of Graush

Husanak
01.30.2012 , 05:22 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by savionen View Post
Tanks really don't do that much damage in PvP, well, in tank-spec and with tank-gear that is.

Right now there's no reason to wear tank gear in PvP, so 90% of the time you see someone guarding someone else they're not really a tank. With a DPS spec I usually get closer to 350k damage, tank spec w/ tank gear it's closer to 150k.
Sure tell that too my tank Sin... 200k+ easily every match (300k if I feel like just running around screwing people up)... 60-80k in guarding numbers.... 3 or 4 deaths, mainly because my guard target is running a ball or something. I have seen powertech / Vans running around that I could beat on and crit for 2 or 3k a couple times in a row and still not take down... all while they pump out 300k in total dmg. Sorry anytime I hear X class doesn't do dmg I notice X class top a warzone chart at some point. Yes as per Bios design every class has the potential too do the same amount of total dmg... no giving the tank guys a much higher defense number in a passive way would not be good. Yes we would take out tank spec them half and half wear DPS slanted gear and roll, it would be a complete joke. IMO anyway

The fact that shields do very little in PvP is fine... they still help somewhat and they self balance.... Sin tanks are more defense based but they also wear bumped up light armour for a lower mitigation number... Trooper BH and Jedi sith tanks are all heavy armour get more mitigation but have a lower defensive number with a higher base shield number....
Bottom line is all 3 tank classes have pretty equal defensive numbers in the end.

Makar
01.30.2012 , 05:23 PM | #18
Sure tell that too my tank Sin... 200k+ easily every match (300k if I feel like just running around screwing people up)... 60-80k in guarding numbers.... 3 or 4 deaths, mainly because my guard target is running a ball or something. I have seen powertech / Vans running around that I could beat on and crit for 2 or 3k a couple times in a row and still not take down... all while they pump out 300k in total dmg. Sorry anytime I hear X class doesn't do dmg I notice X class top a warzone chart at some point. Yes as per Bios design every class has the potential too do the same amount of total dmg... no giving the tank guys a much higher defense number in a passive way would not be good. Yes we would take out tank spec them half and half wear DPS slanted gear and roll, it would be a complete joke. IMO anyway
If they're doing 300k, then they're not wearing tank gear, or not tank specced.
Squadron 238 Tester

OdamanPrime
01.30.2012 , 05:23 PM | #19
Here's a pro tip to make quick work of guard..... aoe =p then you're doing 150% dmg to the tank. Either way, stats should work... otherwise take them off the pvp gear and replace them with something else.

savionen
01.30.2012 , 05:27 PM | #20
If a pure tank were capable of as much damage as a pure DPS then there'd be no reason to bring a DPS in PvE, just bring 3 tanks and a healer.

Slow Time-spam has only netted me around 150k damage as a Shadow-tank, close to 200k, once. In moderate PvP gear and more than half was DPS gear. I imagine a pure-DPS BM geared Shadow-Tank could get close to 300k, otherwise calling your bluff. 300k is A LOT of damage for a tank. 300k can be rough for a pure DPS class to pull off unless they've got high-end gear.

Highest damage I've ever seen from a tank was 255k and they had full BM gear as a Knight. Most of them seem to end the game at 80-120k.