Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPSing from behind the boss as melee?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
DPSing from behind the boss as melee?

Dasset
01.30.2012 , 04:14 PM | #1
Does damaging a boss from behind as melee in SW:TOR reduce the risk of a dodge/parry? I haven't seen any information regarding this, other then a guide that was made in beta, and it doesn't state any fact references for this to be in the game.

Gerdo
01.30.2012 , 05:04 PM | #2
out of habit I've kept standing behind the target. fun thing a juggernaut though, playing as rage you have a shortrange charge attack that will move you infront of the boss every time it's used.

AllanGand
01.30.2012 , 05:49 PM | #3
probably not, but a few bosses seem to have frontal cleaves. So standing behind em is never a bad thing.

poasiodss
01.30.2012 , 06:06 PM | #4
I read an article on SithWarrior.com stating that shielding in this game works from any angle. I think that article was mainly pertaining to PvP, however. I'll see if i can find the link for it.

Edit: Here's the link. http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread...ics-The-Basics
It's the second point under Combat Basics section on the very first post. It wouldn't hurt to read rest of the thread for confirmation, I guess.

Achromatis
01.30.2012 , 06:27 PM | #5
Probably just good practice to stay behind because of Cleave-moves. Plus standing with the other Melee(Sin/Shadow/Sco/Op) who need to be behind for their attacks helps healers AoE you all properly.
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data

Dasset
02.01.2012 , 02:35 PM | #6
Yea I know people should avoid standing in front because of cleaves. Was jsut wondering about dodge/parry on bosses.

Anyway: I have a friend who have this (in my opinion silly) idea of him doing more damage, and getting more crits, from behind mobs... It isn't true, is it?

miliways
02.01.2012 , 02:41 PM | #7
Pretty much impossible to know about dodge/parry, unless the manual says it somewhere I don't know about, since we don't have damage meters.

Regardless it is a very good idea, because most bosses have cleave/breath weapon attacks and AOE attacks and the like, and they'll be targeted at the tank, so just do it.