Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How is the darkside Consular story?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
How is the darkside Consular story?

AGSThomas
01.30.2012 , 03:02 PM | #1
Without revealing TOO much, how is the consular story if you play it mostly as darkside? I am playing a darkside Sith Warrior and the light choices I make really seem kinda goofy and out of place. Like the story was meant for Darkside. Is the consular meant to be played lightside?

Kelthien
01.30.2012 , 03:07 PM | #2
I just finished it up this weekend. It's maybe not always 'goofy'... but you're still out there doing some pretty nice things. A lot of the story line is spent helping different groups of people, so there were some moments where you snark back at someone, then two seconds later your only response can be "yes, sire. I am more than happy to help you and your people."

Even the non-affiliated conversations usually resolve to something goody goody. The conversation wheel will have text that may say "You people are terrible soldiers" but, when selected, your character says "Your people show great promise as fighters." I think there were only a few laugh-out-loud ones. "Is this some freaky local thing?" being one of my favorites from an early quest line.

TLDR: You can, but the quest line and remainder of the dialogue still seem written by Glinda the Good.

Finngarh
01.30.2012 , 05:35 PM | #3
You definitely can. I played mostly dark, doing a few choices on the light side by "respect" or "love/affinity" to the moment/situation. But I basically played my Counsular as "the end justifies the ways" (La Fin justifie les moyens). Don't know this proverb in english.
Defending my beloved Republic at all costs. It does get you to some strange situation thaough, sometimes ^^

Won't tell more if you don't want any spoilers
Except maybe my huge disapointment at the end, while being a dark side counsular...
(don't click and read my comment in my signature if no spoiler is wanted)
You play a Counsular ? You were also disapointed by the ending ? Read my review of it here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=247866&page=2

SpankyMcFlych
01.30.2012 , 06:39 PM | #4
A lot of it gets retconned. Killed someone for the greater good? Well somehow they're sending you mail later thanking you for saving them or taking part in various cutscenes.

Other then the actual choices most of the story stuff just defaults to the good results.

Koivie
01.30.2012 , 06:55 PM | #5
I played the Consular story the first time around as Dark side, and it always seemed laughable for most parts. I went out of my way to make my character say and do the most twisted things she could, but the Jedi Council still hailed her as a saint. It didn't make much sense to me. It seemed that the bad guys acknowledged the terrible decisions you make, so why couldn't the Jedi Council? They just kind of blow it off like "Oh, that was regrettable... But you still did a great job and we couldn't have sent anyone better than you!"

I started a second Consular, and really... The story is a lot more enjoyable as light side. It's a story that was meant to be played light side.
Jedi ChrissyJedi Shadow

Dinadan
01.30.2012 , 07:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Finngarh View Post
. But I basically played my Counsular as "the end justifies the ways" (La Fin justifie les moyens). Don't know this proverb in english.
The end justifies the means, in english.

Whatsalightsaver
01.30.2012 , 09:30 PM | #7
I've played full darkside till 50 and it's probably just as entertaining as playing darkside of something else republic side. It may take you a bit out of the immersion a little bit as you often have to wonder "how am I going to justify this to the Jedi Counsel?". Often I'd get back from story missions waiting to be cast out of the Order because what I just did was kind of the opposite of what I was just sent out to do. I kept on expecting them to come to their senses and figure out I was screwing everyone over. Any time you play bad when you're meant to play good, or good when you're meant to play bad there's going to be some kinks in the story. Overall, I felt my darkside choices were smoothed out and somehow I always got away with it xD

GL, enjoy being a blight on the galaxy :P
My other Jedi Consular is a panda.

Finngarh
01.31.2012 , 01:21 PM | #8
Thanks Dinadan

@ SpankyMcFlych: I think this was the only big issue in it. But other than that I didn't saw any character I killed in later scene. Maybe I'm just blind. :/

Overall I thought the general choices you can make in other missions and in dungeons are far MORE hardcore/violent/darksided choices... Like the two choices on the Esseles ? So darker as killing a "sith/jedi/scum/not-strong-enough-to-resist-dark-side". At least it's my point of view.

But clearly. If I was to start over again a consular, I would't definitely do it Light sided, at least for the whole class story. As I was really upset with my ending :/
(by the way, I wonder if doing every choice of the class story light sided, while doing every other choice dark side, to which end that brings you...)
You play a Counsular ? You were also disapointed by the ending ? Read my review of it here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=247866&page=2

Wildcat
01.31.2012 , 01:33 PM | #9
I'm playing one this way right now. They didn't do a very good job making dark side choices affect the story. You'd think after my master being "appalled" at me threatening villagers on Tython, for example, and my eventual showing up with a red saber, that the Jedi Council would take note and take action...
Wildcat: 50 Sage, Wildkat: 50 Shadow, J'ackk: 45 Scoundrel, Thrashh: 39 Mercenary

Ancaglon
02.01.2012 , 08:31 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Finngarh View Post
@ SpankyMcFlych: I think this was the only big issue in it. But other than that I didn't saw any character I killed in later scene. Maybe I'm just blind. :/
Generally, I think that any character that you COULD kill/allow to die won't appear on-screen again after that story-arc, because it would require too much effort to keep tabs on all of that.

The sole exception would seem to be the finale of the Class story, where everyone that you didn't kill off/allow to die seems to turn up.