Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Laptop Over Heating?

Blastiel
12.15.2011 , 04:00 AM | #1
Morning All,

Just wanted to see if any of you kind chaps could help me out.

I had thought my laptop was good enough to run SW:TOR, I played in both Beta weekends without any problems.

Got into the early access yesterday and my Laptop is hitting 90 degrees and shutting down to prevent harm. It did it after 30 minutes in game then again just under 2 hours.

This is with everything set to LOW

My System is :

HP Pavillion dv7
AMD Phenom II N830 Triple-Core Processor 2.10ghz
4GB of RAM
64 Bit Windows 7
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 / 512MB DDR3

Should it be over heating? No other recent games cause me any problems?
Blastiel - "boring conversation anyway"

undermined
12.15.2011 , 04:11 AM | #2
yeah it should overheat because this is a know hardware issuse with the dv line of laptops from HP.

I comented on a thread in the beta forums a few weeks back but basically you laptop isn't made properly and is is a pure hardware design issue nothing Bioware ot the CS team can do from their side except tell you to update the drivers.

clean your fan vents and get a laptop cooler, or dissemble the laptop and remount the heatsink with a better thermal compound but the way it was under-designed the super tiny fan and sink cannot handle the CPU and GPU both being used and SW:TOR just happens to take good advantage of multiple cores so your laptop is being used harder than other games probably ever used it thus exposing the design flaws.

Blastiel
12.15.2011 , 04:58 AM | #3
Thanks for the info mate, looks like I will need to treat my self to a new gaming desktop rig for Xmas!

Herethos
12.15.2011 , 05:06 AM | #4
Could try forcing Vsync incase it is overtaxing your GPU unecessarily. I remember on Starcraft 2 release it would overheat GPU on the mainscreen and people had to add settings to cap the fps.

http://www.dailytech.com/Hot+Starcra...ticle19224.htm

NervZero
12.15.2011 , 05:06 AM | #5
box fan?

Amarinth
12.15.2011 , 05:14 AM | #6
A couple of suggestions:

1. try raising all the settings to High, hit apply, then put them back on low (the defaults seem to bugger up performance for many people, which suggests they're not really 'low' settings and may be putting way too much strain on your laptop)

2. make sure Vsync is on and you're runnning in fullscreen mode (not fullscreen windowed or windowed, as this will prevent vsync from working). This will cap your fps and prevent it from going unnecessarily high in really unintensive situations (can happen easily in menu's and some cutscenes).

3. disable shadows, completely, same with bloom - lighting/shadow effects are great for cooking a mobile graphics card, so you want to get rid of them if you're having heat problems

4. get a can of compressed air from your local hardware store, turn off your laptop and use the air to clean out all the vents, then leave it for a few minutes before turning it back on

Skyrim was shutting down our laptop, but after giving it a good clean with a can of compressed air, putting some coasters under the corners to raise it higher off the desk (giving it more space to take in cool air at the bottom) and disabling shadows it ran perfectly frosty in comparison to shutting down randomly before..
We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside...

Arcaine
12.15.2011 , 05:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Blastiel View Post
Morning All,

Just wanted to see if any of you kind chaps could help me out.

I had thought my laptop was good enough to run SW:TOR, I played in both Beta weekends without any problems.

Got into the early access yesterday and my Laptop is hitting 90 degrees and shutting down to prevent harm. It did it after 30 minutes in game then again just under 2 hours.

This is with everything set to LOW

My System is :

HP Pavillion dv7
AMD Phenom II N830 Triple-Core Processor 2.10ghz
4GB of RAM
64 Bit Windows 7
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 / 512MB DDR3

Should it be over heating? No other recent games cause me any problems?

Mine used to overheat and shutdown too. Found a solution though. Get a laptop Cooling Pad. You can pick a cheap one up from Amazon for like 10-15
Vegetarian..ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride

Blastiel
12.15.2011 , 06:16 AM | #8
I can confirm the game was indeed running at higher then low even though it said it wasn't.

I've made the changes and had a quick 15 minute blast and the heat was minimal, looks like that should do me for now.

Can anyone recommend a good laptop cooling pad? My HP Pav is the 17" widesceen one.

Thanks in Advance

undermined
12.15.2011 , 10:38 AM | #9
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g40/...p_Coolers.html

looks like the dv4 was worse so more cooling might be all you need but a desktop would handle it better IMO.