Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

HM: Soa - Tank Mind Trapped; Cyclone person targeted by Ball Lightning; etc

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
HM: Soa - Tank Mind Trapped; Cyclone person targeted by Ball Lightning; etc

Xanxari's Avatar


Xanxari
01.30.2012 , 09:12 PM | #21
The Lightning balls.... to charge them so they explode or run to them fast so they explode.... is not a sulution in nightmare mode and not a way to handle the incounter

they oneshot players in nightmare

Kabutopps's Avatar


Kabutopps
01.30.2012 , 09:18 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Xanxari View Post
The Lightning balls.... to charge them so they explode or run to them fast so they explode.... is not a sulution in nightmare mode and not a way to handle the incounter

they oneshot players in nightmare
Maybe in 16m. But for 8m this is false. There used to be multiple solutions to this encounter but since they made the lightning balls untauntable now you can either kite them or blow them up. I could see instances where they might one shot someone but with good player/cooldown management it still isn't an issue.

Keii's Avatar


Keii
01.30.2012 , 10:48 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabutopps View Post
The boss disappearing because the main tank somehow gets pulled "out of combat" and resetting...man...I haven't seen this in any MMO before. It must be some exclusive game breaking Bioware bug, it must be fixed immediately or I am deleting my account.

Does it suck? Yeah, but chance are if that is happening you were going to wipe anyways. Sad truth. I don't know if you know ANYTHING about coding but something like this would be pretty difficult to ensure never happens. Believe it or not but some things ARE worth not coding for as the effort to reward ratio is negative...like...severely. Again if the tank is getting mind trapped it is because of user failure, not the game.


I never said they were features, I simply said they aren't random. Again...back to coding things happen for a reason. My post - http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...50#post2346050 which explains the encounter in detail deals with many of the reported "bugs". In computing rarely is anything truly "random" and I can tell you that almost all of Soa's "bugs" happen for some sort of reason and are preventable and/or avoidable. I personally believe that the encounter for the most part is functioning mostly as designed, definitely some flaws but I'm almost positive the reason Bioware hasn't rushed to patch it is because if executed correctly the fight is easily doable. And there is a pretty decent margin for error. Compared to a lot of WoW hard mode encounters the margins for error in this encounter are MUCH more forgiving. Not to mention the tasks required of you really aren't all that difficult. I'm not trolling anyone or saying you are a noob because you can't do it, I'm just saying don't rush to the forums to complain because you didn't invest a small amount of time figuring out the encounter and WHY certain things happen.


Look I've barely heard of this missing pieces of the platform bug. The number of times it happens compared to the actual number of attempts must be ridiculously low. If it seems to be happening to you all the time, then I suggest you reevaluate your strategy because you are clearly doing something wrong. Again, not trolling you, but lots of guilds execute this fight consistently without exploiting, getting lucky, or some bs that allows them to down the encounter while you get trolled by RNG. We deal with the same issues anyone else does and very rarely does true RNG actually screw us over. Does it happen? uh...yeah. But again good execution will more often then not trump the RNG.
I stopped listening after your raging hyperbole.

Kabutopps's Avatar


Kabutopps
01.30.2012 , 11:02 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Keii View Post
I stopped listening after your raging hyperbole.
Too bad, you missed out on me owning you. It was quite a sight, I feel pretty bad. Life moves on though.

Jelleh's Avatar


Jelleh
01.30.2012 , 11:26 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Keii View Post
I can assure you the boss disappearing in the middle of the encounter because a tank got mindtrapped is most certainly not 100% intended. Yes maybe the intent was for the tank to get mindtrapped, but currently he will just reset if the tank does.

It almost sounds like you're saying that those are features, not bugs. In that case Bioware should hire you for PR.



Referring to pieced of the floor actually being missing.
Like you walk into Soa's room and there are holes in the floor where floor pieces should be. When the platforming phase comes into play, those spots where there were holes in the floor missing platforms don't have platforms.
Would just like to point out that Soa doesn't reset EVERY TIME the tank is mind trapped. In fact, it's never happened to my guild and we frequently find our tank being mind trapped. (Not saying it doesn't happen, I know it does)

Stabbitha's Avatar


Stabbitha
01.30.2012 , 11:54 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabutopps View Post
The boss disappearing because the main tank somehow gets pulled "out of combat" and resetting...man...I haven't seen this in any MMO before. It must be some exclusive game breaking Bioware bug, it must be fixed immediately or I am deleting my account.

Does it suck? Yeah, but chance are if that is happening you were going to wipe anyways. Sad truth. I don't know if you know ANYTHING about coding but something like this would be pretty difficult to ensure never happens. Believe it or not but some things ARE worth not coding for as the effort to reward ratio is negative...like...severely. Again if the tank is getting mind trapped it is because of user failure, not the game.


I never said they were features, I simply said they aren't random. Again...back to coding things happen for a reason. My post - http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...50#post2346050 which explains the encounter in detail deals with many of the reported "bugs". In computing rarely is anything truly "random" and I can tell you that almost all of Soa's "bugs" happen for some sort of reason and are preventable and/or avoidable. I personally believe that the encounter for the most part is functioning mostly as designed, definitely some flaws but I'm almost positive the reason Bioware hasn't rushed to patch it is because if executed correctly the fight is easily doable. And there is a pretty decent margin for error. Compared to a lot of WoW hard mode encounters the margins for error in this encounter are MUCH more forgiving. Not to mention the tasks required of you really aren't all that difficult. I'm not trolling anyone or saying you are a noob because you can't do it, I'm just saying don't rush to the forums to complain because you didn't invest a small amount of time figuring out the encounter and WHY certain things happen.


Look I've barely heard of this missing pieces of the platform bug. The number of times it happens compared to the actual number of attempts must be ridiculously low. If it seems to be happening to you all the time, then I suggest you reevaluate your strategy because you are clearly doing something wrong. Again, not trolling you, but lots of guilds execute this fight consistently without exploiting, getting lucky, or some bs that allows them to down the encounter while you get trolled by RNG. We deal with the same issues anyone else does and very rarely does true RNG actually screw us over. Does it happen? uh...yeah. But again good execution will more often then not trump the RNG.

Lawl, you've never heard of it so it mustn't happen that often...

5 different patterns of missing blocks on my guilds first attempts on Soa made getting down kinda tricky.

So you're saying that with the whole raid up and everything going along smoothly, a boss despawn = somehow Soa knew they were going to wipe and just decided to end it early?

You keep saying you aren't trolling him but these bugs exist purely because they are doing something wrong. They don't, they are bugs. They make what is otherwise a very mobile and interesting fight in to an annoyance. Surely that isn't intended...

Keii's Avatar


Keii
01.31.2012 , 12:32 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabutopps View Post
Too bad, you missed out on me owning you. It was quite a sight, I feel pretty bad. Life moves on though.
Too bad hyperbole makes your argument invalid, thus only owning yourself.

jonnybigboy's Avatar


jonnybigboy
01.31.2012 , 01:03 AM | #28
We haven't seen him despawn and we haven't seen missing floor pieces. I'm not saying these bugs don't exist just that in my limited experience (~9 hours of playtime on him alone) we haven't seen it yet. My guild is currently angry with me. We did ~3 hours of attempts on him this week over about 3 days. 4-5 people were raging over the "bugs" we saw.

The angriest were:

* the people who would ask for things like "please announce when I'm targeted by the balls, I can't see it on my screen". So I would announce. They would run to the outside .. opposite of the ball. The ball gets dragged through melee. "ZOMG BALLS ARE BUGGED".

* the folks that would simply miss dropping to a platform and die. "ZOMG FLOORS ARE BUGGED"

* the deeps that can't figure out you don't have to button mash at 31% even if i healer is in a mindtrap "ZOMG MIND TRAPS ARE BUGGED"

They were angry with me because about half way through the 2nd night of attempts, I started calling people out for fail.

Again, not saying there are NO bugs in this encounter. It's just that my personal experience shows that people failing what are basic mechanics would rather blame Bioware than take personal responsibility. btw, these are all the same peeps that say "oh i forgot to buy a stim, can you make me one" and "can you loan me money for repairs" and most certainly "THATS MY LEWT"

SkuzBukit's Avatar


SkuzBukit
01.31.2012 , 01:42 AM | #29
SOA = can despawn if he tries to mindtrap a dead player.

Ball lightning can in some cases spawn 2 balls at same pylon, if the person targetted is you & another behind you, you can run into 2 at the same time = dead, imho balls shouldn't ever pop 2 at same pillar that's retarded.

You eat ball-lightning, get instantly cycloned = dead during cyclone, it's frequent for a player to be ball-lightning, cycloned & just for good measure dropped on a pylon as a ball-lightning spawns. (where cyclone drops you varies).

Have seen the floor disappearing bug a LOT, resetting instance between wipes helps but does not guarantee it wont happen.

Mind-trapped & left in it while raid drops down = you are doing it wrong, stop dps if a trap is up close to phase transition, kill the traps then dps, phases 1 & 2 are about controlled dps, phase 3 is for burst dps.

Overall my feeling is that this fight just has far too many random possibilities to allow for bugs not to entirely screw this event up, it's difficulty lies in all the various interconnecting mechanics but the sheer amount of luck involved stacks things up far out of the realm of skill & into RNG territory.
Mercenary 55 | Assassin 50 | Marauder 50 | Sniper 50 | Operative 55 | Sorcerer 55 | Powertech 51 | Juggernaut 55
Gunslinger 55 | Guardian 55 | Sage 55 | Vanguard 55 | Scoundrel 27 | Commando 22 | Sentinel 22 | Shadow 21

Ravaran's Avatar


Ravaran
01.31.2012 , 09:23 AM | #30
Are you resetting the instance after every wipe? We got none of these bugs at all in our 3-4 attempts before killing him. I did however, manage to drop into another phase in one attempt, but that was the only one we saw.