Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many tanks for 8 man ops?

flegg
01.30.2012 , 12:11 PM | #21
You guys know you can't taunt balls anymore right?.... lol....

Rejectoo
01.30.2012 , 01:17 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Eroex View Post
There is zero reason to do so, the DPS loss isn't worth it at all.

In P3 avoid the balls while the boss is damageable, after hes immune, break the lightning balls with the people targeted, then get back on the mind traps.

~10k damage to each person is easily healable
Eroex

In the 2nd phase we had like 5 balls up at one time seems like. This was making a lot of healing work on the healers and lots of damage the tank idea came in has me being a Shadow could force speed around and I could take the damage having 22k HP vs a DPS or healer. The only part of Soa that is a DPS race is the final phase with the pylons being a shadow that phase is well with in my finisher 30%

Has for that list it was not an advocate for a 2nd tank it was just saying that it is good to have someone that can take some damage and taunt.

The reason the robot needs a few secs is the armor debuff gets high it needs to drop off before tank can get back on them normally with a stack of 8 on me a trooper dps will taught and take the aggro for the 6 to 8 secs for the debuff to go off then I taunt it back.

FallenFaux
01.30.2012 , 01:31 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lyynk View Post
Well I'm not sure what one of the guys in here was talking about not needing a 2nd person that can hold aggro and take some hits...

My guild has cleared 5/5 KP Nightmare and we are currently 4/5 EV Nightmare. We run 1 MT and we have a DPS Powertech. Most fights only need 1 tank, but currently the fights in the game where it is advisable to have 2 tanks (or our setup with 1 real tank and 1 tank-type class in a DPS spec) are...

Jarg and Sorno Nightmare
- I don't know if I would even try this without 2 tanks.

EV Puzzle
- Probably doable without 2 tanks, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier.

G4-B3
- If you have a lot of ranged dps and can afford to put both of your healers on the ground, then you may be able to do this with one tank. But, healing becomes unmanageable at a 10 stack of armor debuff single healing the bottom, which is how my guild does it (I heal the bottom).
We're a melee heavy group and we only use one tank and two healers on G4-B3. On both 8M Nightmare and 16M Hardmode we have a Mercenary Healer stay on the tank full time and one (or two in 16M) healers focus on the raid.

Also, if you have a healer stand on the center balcony right at the edge they can reach almost every player.

We haven't even used a second tank for the bounty hunters in KP either, in fact, the only time we even have someone else with threat is if the tank gets mind trapped on Soa, we have a jugg or Powertech dps taunt till he's out.
OMEN
Hardcore Progression Guild on The Shadowlands

Snack - Lv50 Operative
Snackrifice - Lv50 Sorcerer

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 02:37 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Rejectoo View Post
Eroex

In the 2nd phase we had like 5 balls up at one time seems like. This was making a lot of healing work on the healers and lots of damage the tank idea came in has me being a Shadow could force speed around and I could take the damage having 22k HP vs a DPS or healer. The only part of Soa that is a DPS race is the final phase with the pylons being a shadow that phase is well with in my finisher 30%

Has for that list it was not an advocate for a 2nd tank it was just saying that it is good to have someone that can take some damage and taunt.

The reason the robot needs a few secs is the armor debuff gets high it needs to drop off before tank can get back on them normally with a stack of 8 on me a trooper dps will taught and take the aggro for the 6 to 8 secs for the debuff to go off then I taunt it back.
Well that the problem you were having, you had 5 lighting balls up at the same time, lol

Pop the lighting balls as they come out, they have pretty long cooldown before the next set comes out. What I read there is you need a second tank to cover your poor play and strategy? Alliteratively you are trying to justify your unneeded raid spot... and I hate people like that. The tank damage in the fight isn't that high ether. So your healers should easily be able to keep the tank up as well as the lighting orb damage.

Here's a hint (have people spec biochem or use regular medpacks if they aren't)

Also even with 100% reduction on armor the robot boss doesn't hit hard enough for the damage to matter. we solo tanked it on nightmare mode and our healers were concerned with it before, I said, "lets give it a shot and I'll respec if I need to", we finished the fight and the healers were like "that was it?". So no you don't need a second tank or someone to take the aggro for a second. If you want to waste your time with that, fine be my guest.

Just use the left and right vents, ignore the middle save/stack all your cooldowns for the part where the boss takes extra damage. That boss is a 1 shot joke.

Have 3 DPS set up the boss for that part, don't even have the 3 DPS move unless its for the part where you burn him down. The armor debuff vent is the most important. The boss should be under the damage debuff vent just long enough to get the damage buff off him them moved back to the other vent.

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 02:39 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by FallenFaux View Post
We're a melee heavy group and we only use one tank and two healers on G4-B3. On both 8M Nightmare and 16M Hardmode we have a Mercenary Healer stay on the tank full time and one (or two in 16M) healers focus on the raid.

Also, if you have a healer stand on the center balcony right at the edge they can reach almost every player.

We haven't even used a second tank for the bounty hunters in KP either, in fact, the only time we even have someone else with threat is if the tank gets mind trapped on Soa, we have a jugg or Powertech dps taunt till he's out.
This man speaks the truth

sang
01.30.2012 , 03:00 PM | #26
We are thinking of using a 2nd tank on Soa HM to have him break lighting balls.
The lighting balls can no longer be taunted so this will not work.
Sang - Sangz - Sanglol - Sanglul - Sangrawr - Sangocity

sol_
01.30.2012 , 03:09 PM | #27
I wish they would design 8 mans for two tanks. Respecs, two sets of gear and DPS + tank stims makes me perma-poor
It makes absolutely no sense at all to have bosses that are a DPS race where you need all the DPS you can get then bosses that need 2 tanks in the same instance, in a game that has no dual spec.
I just hate the awkward moment after you hit a boss enrage timer and you know its your fault for being undergeared for dps or in tank spec because u needed to tank something earlier in the instance.

If you want the lazy solution akin to the DPS race boss Bioware, just add a stacking debuff ability to some future bosses so they require two tanks that have to swap.

Rejectoo
01.30.2012 , 03:21 PM | #28
Eroex,

Thanks for the good info. I never really know and with out a combat log that armor debuff was just a headache guess we forget it and move on. Our group current 8 man is Main healer full T2 gear, 3 Dps full T2/3 rest are Champ(PvP)/T2

I think we are doing alright but still have some areas to work on and the advise I am getting here helps us get better I am sure.

Yes we seem to have way more tanks and healers then we need to. I know we have focused on keeping only 4 MT's for our 2x8man groups. 1 MT and 1 alternate if MT is not on or can not make it but still gives us 3 more people in the guild(casual) speced has tanks.

Yes the Rakata medpacks and stims are fantastic. I just switched over this last weekend and Pled my Biochem to 400 and have all the tanking Rakata now.

While I have you Eroex any tips on breaking the turrets before Robot boss.

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 03:42 PM | #29
Eroex,

Thanks for the good info. I never really know and with out a combat log that armor debuff was just a headache guess we forget it and move on. Our group current 8 man is Main healer full T2 gear, 3 Dps full T2/3 rest are Champ(PvP)/T2

I think we are doing alright but still have some areas to work on and the advise I am getting here helps us get better I am sure.

Yes we seem to have way more tanks and healers then we need to. I know we have focused on keeping only 4 MT's for our 2x8man groups. 1 MT and 1 alternate if MT is not on or can not make it but still gives us 3 more people in the guild(casual) speced has tanks.

Yes the Rakata medpacks and stims are fantastic. I just switched over this last weekend and Pled my Biochem to 400 and have all the tanking Rakata now.

While I have you Eroex any tips on breaking the turrets before Robot boss.
I assume you mean EV?

We just have our DPS tank the first one blow all our cooldowns to kill it, then have out MT taunt the other turret and aoe taunt the adds we AOE down the adds, kill the other turret then AOE down the other adds. The tank is the first one in with sorc shield and his CDs as they start to attack him, so the healers dont have to heal and get turret aggro right off before the tank gets in range to attack them.

sometimes the MT gets a taunt on the first turret and shoots the second, then AOE taunts the adds and AOEs That may help also.

the first turret goes down in a few seconds it only has what 70k health on nightmare? we have 5 DPS 1 tank 2 healers

our comp

1 Powertech tank
1 Powertech DPS (me)
2 Mercenary DPS
2 Marauder DPS
1 Mercenary healer
1 Sorcerer healer

if you are wondering, our Mako's and Galts have some pretty good gear now.